U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 04:16 AM

367 posts, read 280,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Obviously they weren't talking about a week or they would have used the Greek word for week...The Greek word Sabbaton comes from the Hebrew word for Sabbath, which means the seventh day so also Sabbaton means the seventh day, just because Strongs throws the word week into the definition does not mean it is accurate...Hebrew has a word for a calandar week as Classical or even Attic Greek, which is were Koine Greek mostly comes from, has...Which is εβδομάδα (n.)...The word for first is πρώτα...The word for day is ημέρα...So, go do your research...
So let's ignore the Greek experts who know what words mean and just take your word for it!

I think I will stay with the real meanings and let you keep your made up ideas.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 06:43 AM

26,248 posts, read 13,909,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
So let's ignore the Greek experts who know what words mean and just take your word for it!

I think I will stay with the real meanings and let you keep your made up ideas.
Do whatever you want...It seems sheeple are easy to lead around...Problem is you are not paying attention to what I have written nor done your research...Look at the LITV...It translates it correctly as "Sabbath" not "week"...

Old 03-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 622,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Reply post # 53 'twilight'

Today we only think of the 'twilight time of the evening', but there is also the reverse that is true of the 'twilight time of the morning '.
In Mat 28:1 when it dawn to the first day of the week the Greek word says it is the "twilight" in the morning, because the day in Greek begins in the morning. My point is that Matthew is a Jew and according to Jewish tradition the day begins at twilight in the evening. The end of the Sabbath and the beginning of the new day are the "twilight" Saturday evening and not Sunday morning. To translate after the Sabbaths means in the Greek also in the end of the Sabbath. The problem is, every one reads into the scriptures what he believes. I would take the translation for Mark 19:9 from the Holman Christian Standard Bible (2009) "Early on the first day of the week, after He had risen (after He arose NET Bible), He appeared first to Mary Magdalene,.." The first day of the week belongs to the appearence to Mary Magdalene and not to the Resurrection. Sunday morning when Mary Magdalene went to the tomb it was still dark (Jn) and the stone was already rolled away, that means Christ was risen before sunrise. From Good Friday to Saturday even night (I believe in Wednesday 3pm till Saturday 3pm = 72 hours) are Friday afternoon = day 1; Friday night 1; Saturday= day 2; Saturday night 2, that means even by inclusive reckoning the third day is missing. The events in Mat 28: 1-7 are different from Sunday morning, Sunday morning the stone was already rolled away and on Saturday evening the stone was rolled away by the angel, this are different events.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 622,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Reply post # 53 'twilight'

Today we only think of the 'twilight time of the evening', but there is also the reverse that is true of the 'twilight time of the morning '.
In Mat 28:1 when it dawn to the first day of the week the Greek word says it is the "twilight" in the morning, because the day in Greek begins in the morning. My point is that Matthew is a Jew and according to Jewish tradition the day begins at twilight in the evening. The end of the Sabbath and the beginning of the new day are the "twilight" Saturday evening and not Sunday morning. To translate after the Sabbaths means in the Greek also in the end of the Sabbath. The problem is, every one reads into the scriptures what he believes. I would take the translation for Mark 19:9 from the Holman Christian Standard Bible (2009) "Early on the first day of the week, after He had risen (after He arose NET Bible), He appeared first to Mary Magdalene,.." The first day of the week belongs to the appearence to Mary Magdalene and not to the Resurrection. Sunday morning when Mary Magdalene went to the tomb it was still dark (Jn) and the stone was already rolled away, that means Christ was risen before sunrise. From Good Friday to Saturday even/night (I believe in Wednesday 3pm till Saturday 3pm = 72 hours) are Friday afternoon = day 1; Friday night 1; Saturday= day 2; Saturday night 2, that means even by inclusive reckoning the third day is missing. The events in Mat 28: 1-7 are different from Sunday morning, Sunday morning the stone was already rolled away and on Saturday evening the stone was rolled away by the angel, this are different events.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
In Mat 28:1 when it dawn to the first day of the week the Greek word says it is the "twilight" in the morning, because the day in Greek begins in the morning. My point is that Matthew is a Jew and according to Jewish tradition the day begins at twilight in the evening. The end of the Sabbath and the beginning of the new day are the "twilight" Saturday evening and not Sunday morning. To translate after the Sabbaths means in the Greek also in the end of the Sabbath. The problem is, every one reads into the scriptures what he believes. I would take the translation for Mark 19:9 from the Holman Christian Standard Bible (2009) "Early on the first day of the week, after He had risen (after He arose NET Bible), He appeared first to Mary Magdalene,.." The first day of the week belongs to the appearence to Mary Magdalene and not to the Resurrection. Sunday morning when Mary Magdalene went to the tomb it was still dark (Jn) and the stone was already rolled away, that means Christ was risen before sunrise. From Good Friday to Saturday even night (I believe in Wednesday 3pm till Saturday 3pm = 72 hours) are Friday afternoon = day 1; Friday night 1; Saturday= day 2; Saturday night 2, that means even by inclusive reckoning the third day is missing. The events in Mat 28: 1-7 are different from Sunday morning, Sunday morning the stone was already rolled away and on Saturday evening the stone was rolled away by the angel, this are different events.
Simple logic, huh?...If we went with the Friday Crucifixion then that means He arose Monday morning...The math isn't that hard to do...

Old 03-18-2013, 09:30 AM

15,542 posts, read 6,992,023 times
Richard, for another example take a close look at Luke 18:12

Old 03-18-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Example of what?...

Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 AM

15,542 posts, read 6,992,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Example of what?...
Excuse me; example of the usage of the term sabbath to indicate a period of 7 days. I think it would be hard to fast twice on one day.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:57 AM

367 posts, read 280,607 times
Quote:
I think I included that reference to Richard before to show him the proper translation based on the construction is "week".

Old 03-18-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Excuse me; example of the usage of the term sabbath to indicate a period of 7 days. I think it would be hard to fast twice on one day.
Ask a Jew if that's possible...If the writer had meant week, not use the Greek word for week?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity