U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:49 AM

335 posts, read 194,200 times

Advertisements

A poster on another forum, the topic of which was questioning the authenticity of the last 12 verses in the book of Mark, wrote that it doesnít really matter because there is no doctrinal teaching in Mark 16:9-20 that cannot be proved elsewhere in agreed Scripture.

I made the mistake of sticking my nose into the discussion by pointing out that actually there is a statement in verse 9, as the KJV and similar versions have it, that is used for a doctrinal teaching that is to be found nowhere else in Scripture. As the KJV translates it, it is the only place that puts the resurrection on the first day of the week. I then suggested that whenever the discussion of seventh day observance versus first day observance comes up, first day proponents usually use the idea of a first day resurrection to justify the change, and when questioned about the day of resurrection, quote Mark 16:9. The poster came back with: "Quote a published author who has done that." - I have not yet been able to come up with one. Does anyone here know of one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 05:55 AM

58,494 posts, read 31,888,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrats View Post
A poster on another forum, the topic of which was questioning the authenticity of the last 12 verses in the book of Mark, wrote that it doesnít really matter because there is no doctrinal teaching in Mark 16:9-20 that cannot be proved elsewhere in agreed Scripture.

I made the mistake of sticking my nose into the discussion by pointing out that actually there is a statement in verse 9, as the KJV and similar versions have it, that is used for a doctrinal teaching that is to be found nowhere else in Scripture. As the KJV translates it, it is the only place that puts the resurrection on the first day of the week. I then suggested that whenever the discussion of seventh day observance versus first day observance comes up, first day proponents usually use the idea of a first day resurrection to justify the change, and when questioned about the day of resurrection, quote Mark 16:9. The poster came back with: "Quote a published author who has done that." - I have not yet been able to come up with one. Does anyone here know of one?
Doesn't Matt 28:1 confirm it?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:10 AM

Finn_Jarber,

re: "Doesn't Matt 28:1 confirm it?"

Matthew 28:1 doesn’t say when the resurrection took place - only that the women came to the tomb on the 1st of the week.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Finn_Jarber,

re: "Doesn't Matt 28:1 confirm it?"

Matthew 28:1 doesnít say when the resurrection took place - only that the women came to the tomb on the 1st of the week.
And what did they find?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:27 AM

Finn_Jarber,

re: "And what did they find?"

They found the stone removed from the tomb opening, and an angel sitting on the stone who told them that the Messiah had risen. However, the angel didn’t say when that had occurred.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
They found the stone removed from the tomb opening, and an angel sitting on the stone who told them that the Messiah had risen. However, the angel didnít say when that had occurred.
And that bothers you?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:03 AM

Finn_Jarber,

re: "And that bothers you?"

Not in the least, but I’m afraid that I don’t see your point.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Finn_Jarber,

re: "And that bothers you?"

Not in the least, but Iím afraid that I donít see your point.
Maybe I don't see yours. There is no contradiction.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:50 PM

Finn_Jarber,

re: "Maybe I don't see yours. There is no contradiction."

Contradiction? Who said anything about a contradiction? You apparently missed reading the OP.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:21 PM

7,860 posts, read 6,668,091 times
In John 19: 31.....The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation , that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the Sabbath day, for the sabbath day was a high day, besought Pilate that their legs might be broken and that they might be taken away.. but Jesus was dead already...... In John 20: 1 .... the first day of the week came Mary Magdalene early when it was yet dark unto the sepulhre and saw the stone taken away from the sepulchre...Body of Jesus was gone........ Ancient Israel first day was Sunday and their sabbath day was saturday like the Genesis days as the Lord rested on the sabbath day, and Jesus rose from the dead on the first day of the week which we call Sunday today, ... So Christians celebrate the resurrection day on Sunday.......See in Galatians 3: 13 Jesus was left on the cross over night which he became a curse against the Laws of Moses separating Christians who believe in him from the old covenant through the Law because Jesus broke the law in Deuteronomy 21: 22-23... which forbids a body from hanging there..... so Jesus death broke the Law and Christians are free from the law of Moses through the Spirit that Jesus brought to his believers at pentecost and now Jesus celebrate the day of rest of the first day of the week instead of the old Sabbath custom because they are not under the law but are saved by grace through Jesus Spirit....... this belief is brought to Christians will one prerequisite and that is there is NO condemnation or judgements against their brother sin as there is no love if they do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity