U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:19 PM

5,755 posts, read 4,606,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I see the anti-Bible crowd is back to quoting the Bible

Who are you reffering to? Me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 01:30 PM

58,708 posts, read 32,154,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
To anyone who spends their mornings claiming that Bible is just a book and not the word of God, and then they spend their afternoons quoting verses from the Bible to prove their other talking points.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:36 PM

30,363 posts, read 20,092,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I thought one of the main points of Christianity was that Jesus had paid the penalty for everyone's sin through his death? Why do Christians often seem so hell-bent (so to speak) on making sure everyone "gets what they deserve" for the things they've done wrong (or for being "lukewarm" or for not believing the "right things") if this is true? Even most URists insist that people will reap what they sow after death, in some fashion. Are people forgiven for their sins, according to Christians, or aren't they? And, if so, why the need and desire for vengeance and retribution? A need for restoration and healing between people, I can see, but a need for people to pay for what they've done? I don't get why that's necessary if you truly believe Jesus paid the price. Just saying.
Pleroo i think Alabama answered this in post 13

Old 03-21-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
I think it's because they themselves have never truly believed the Gospel, the good news that Jesus died on the cross and forgave their sins. Consequently, they don't believe that anyone else's sins where forgiven either.
Ah, the golden "they are not believers" claim. heh-heh ....sigh.....

Old 03-21-2011, 02:00 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,726,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
This was answered in another recent thread of mine. Find the answer there.
He is referring to the thread called, "I was asked to answer a question." The conversation started at Post #46 on page 5. He never would really say whether or not God answered Jesus prayer to forgive them because they didn't know what they were doing, but he just answered with:

'In answer to Jesus' intercessory prayer, God the Father could forgive those who because of what they observed of Jesus during His crucifixion concluded that He was indeed who He said He was (is).'

Old 03-21-2011, 02:29 PM

37,666 posts, read 25,381,611 times
Quote:
I see the anti-Bible crowd is back to quoting the Bible
God used their ignorance to fulfill the prophecy. If the Romans had known who Jesus was, they would not have crusified Him, but it had to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Fret not, sparrow . . . Finn likes to perpetuate his favorite lie . . . that those who interpret and understand the bible differently than he does are "anti-bible." He thinks God-inspired or God-breathed means God-dictated. He does not see the OT scriptures as INSTRUCTIONAL (useful) and prophetic to give hope. He thinks they are literal, infallible and prescriptive . . . despite Jesus' many statements to the contrary.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
. . . Finn likes to perpetuate his favorite lie . . .
Ah, the mud slinging.... It never stops....

Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,321,450 times
Quote:
We'll it's true...here are some of the comments I often read here:

"...sins are judged, not forgiven..."

"...Jesus is a potential savior..."

"...Jesus did not justify the ungodly..."

"...Jesus cannot save unless the sinner will (fill in the blank)..."

"...Jesus is offering to save you..."

And, here is what scripture actually proclaims (not offers) to the sinner:

1Co 15:1 MOREOVER, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

And here is what Jesus claimed He Himself came to do:

Luk 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

Obviously, if you don't believe that Jesus came to SEEK and to SAVE the LOST, or that Jesus could not accomplish His Own work, or that Jesus did not die for your sins (and by that I mean forgave you your sins), then according to Paul, you've believed in vain.

And if so, you've not truly believed the Gospel, the Good News of your salvation (not a potential salvation mind you) but again rather YOUR SALVATION, as in ownership.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Old 03-21-2011, 02:56 PM

30,363 posts, read 20,092,063 times
Quote:
You mean like the Universalists are heretics or if you don't believe the bible is the word of God claim ?

Old 03-21-2011, 03:11 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,914,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
Luke 23:34 And Jesus said, `Father, forgive them, for they have not known what they do;' and parting his garments they cast a lot.[

Is it logical to assume Mr. Atheist, Mrs muslim, or a lukewarm Christian that never saw Jesus in person will be tortured forever while Jesus forgave people that beaten, ridiculed, crucified, spat upon, insulted and denied Him?
At the time Jesus spoke these words God had taken His hand off of Jesus, turned His back to Him, did not hear Him, because Jesus who was sinless had become sin for us therefor this cry to God holds no merit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or