U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:48 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,130,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Muslims rarely quote from the Bible because they read the quran.

But of course it is clear why you said it. What's up with comments like that? Why can't you simply promote your own faith, as opposed to trying to discredit the faith of others?
I can honestly say that when I first read her post I was struck at how similar it was to some Muslim writings I've read.
Like it or not, that was my impression.
Oh well!

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-27-2011, 02:34 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,592,573 times
Quote:
Pretend? So you do not believe the Bible is the word of God. Well, that is your opinon and I disagree. I believe that the Bible is the word of God, and that Christ gave us the Holy Spirit to help us understand what God reveals to us through the Bible and through prayer.

I have never heard any 'fundamentalist' claim what you just said. They say Christ is the living word, and the Bible is the word of God. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Let me ask you this though: why do you keep quoting from the Bible, if you believe it is just writings of men, and not the word of God? I see people attack others for believing Bible is the word of God, yet the very same people quote the Bible every day? Don't quote it if you don't believe in it.
Finn,
How can the bible be the Word of God when the Word was with God in the beginning? I did not say that the bible doesn't contain truths about God - and I certainly believe it does. However, the collection of 66 books is NOT the Word of God. The Word of God is LIVING and POWERFUL. I do not worship the bible. 'Bible' literally means 'book'. Sometimes I wonder when hyper-bible-fundies will start wearing little bible-shaped necklaces in a similar manner as some people wear cross jewelry

Old 01-27-2011, 03:29 PM

15,320 posts, read 8,307,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Finn,
How can the bible be the Word of God when the Word was with God in the beginning? I did not say that the bible doesn't contain truths about God - and I certainly believe it does. However, the collection of 66 books is NOT the Word of God. The Word of God is LIVING and POWERFUL. I do not worship the bible. 'Bible' literally means 'book'. Sometimes I wonder when hyper-bible-fundies will start wearing little bible-shaped necklaces in a similar manner as some people wear cross jewelry
Jesus is the living Word; the Bible is the written Word. We get the same message from both. One will not differ from the other. Jesus Himself referred to Holy Scripture. We are encouraged to read & study the Holy Scriptures.

Revelation 1:3

3 Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM

8,830 posts, read 9,779,416 times
Quote:
Finn,
Hey, I wear a bible shaped charm with a cross on it and I ain't no hyper-bible-fundie!!!

Old 01-27-2011, 04:04 PM

37,674 posts, read 25,393,182 times
Quote:
What motivates people to discredit another person's passion for the word of God?
No one is discrediting anyone for their passion for the Word of God (Jesus Christ). It is the misguided and misdirected passion to the words "written in ink" that are God-inspired instructions and lessons designed to give us hope in Jesus the Living Word of God. God-inspired does not mean Word of God. 2000+ years of ignorance maintained and fiercely defended as a sign of faith is a triumph of Satan and is well-entrenched in Babylon.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 PM

37,674 posts, read 25,393,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Jesus is the living Word; the Bible is the written Word. We get the same message from both.
No disrespect intended . . . but if you honestly and sincerely believe that . . . you need serious lessons in reading comprehension!!

2 Corinthians 3: 2-6 (King James Version)

2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:

5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;

6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:27 PM

58,714 posts, read 32,170,716 times
Quote:
Finn,
How can the bible be the Word of God when the Word was with God in the beginning?
I think you can figure it out if you think about it.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:28 PM

8,830 posts, read 9,779,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No disrespect intended . . . but if you honestly and sincerely believe that . . . you need serious lessons in reading comprehension!!

3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;

6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
I have to seriously agree with this post, you know how I feel about the whole thing now Mystic. It's already written in our hearts, and there is where we will find the real truth.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

Why are you quoting the Bible? Why don't you quote your own sources

Old 01-27-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I have to seriously agree with this post, you know how I feel about the whole thing now Mystic. It's already written in our hearts, and there is where we will find the real truth.
What? You have to seriously agree with a QUOTE FROM THE BIBLE????

Come on guys. Make up your minds. Why is it OK for you to quote the Bible, but when other's quote it you mock them to death?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or