U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 PM

58,834 posts, read 32,279,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
If a person think all sorts of horrible things are going to happen to people but that THEY are being raptured away... how could that possibly be joy to them if they are commanded to love their neighbor? Would they really find joy in that?? What about their neighbor? What about "love your neighbor"... if your neighbor is not raptured away along with you, where is the love in being JOYFUL while YOU are raptured away from horribleness while your neighbor is "left behind" in the horribleness?

This makes NO sense to me..
No, of course it doesn't make sense to you, but to meet the Lord will be the happiest day of my life (or afterlife).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 07:03 PM

5,766 posts, read 4,620,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, of course it doesn't make sense to you, but to meet the Lord will be the happiest day of my life (or afterlife).

Yes, Finn.. of COURSE it doesn't make sense to me.
And to that I say THANK GOD that it does NOT make sense.
Because if it did... I would be in a world of darkness, not being able to understand what is up and what is down. What is light and what is dark. What is love and what is not.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, Finn.. of COURSE it doesn't make sense to me.
And to that I say THANK GOD that it does NOT make sense.
Because if it did... I would be in a world of darkness, not being able to understand what is up and what is down. What is light and what is dark. What is love and what is not.
Who knows, maybe one day you will understand. Only God can help you with that.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Who knows, maybe one day you will understand. Only God can help you with that.
No. I DO understand and that is why it makes no sense to me.

One day we will hold hands together in joy.
I am sure of that.

But Finn, we just don't see things from the same perspective.
That's all. I believe one day we will though. and again it will be joyful for both of us.

Peace to ya,
sparrow

Old 01-27-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
One day we will hold hands together in joy.
I am sure of that.
Yes, all believers will hold hands in joy.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, all believers will hold hands in joy.

Yes, and one day all will believe...
Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-27-2011 at 08:59 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 08:26 PM

3,656 posts, read 480,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
what do you make of the book of Revelation?Moderator cut: edit ,I can't fathom God being so cruel as to literally pour out all the horrible plagues mentioned in the book of Rev. upon the earth,esp. on purpose.(I can beleive they are caused by man though).And I can't imagine something like that would be 'for our own good'.Jesus didn't wreck havoc upon the earth when He came,He did only good,so this just doesn't make any sense.
thanks for any thoughts,UR's
Hi sc122

I personally think that the book of Revelation has several levels to it and on one level was addressed to the Jews and it was a prophecy of the destruction to come in 70AD - it says coming quickly --- not 2000 years in the future, it has a lot of symbolic language in it that refers back to prophecy that was given to the physical Israelites in the OT tied to keeping commandments and inheriting the land and also if they did not obey what would happen to their nation.

Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Rev 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

I also believe that Jesus parables and predictions of the end of the aion (age) referred to the Israelite age (their heaven and earth)

I also believe that there are spiritual messages applicable to all time since then and is about individual understanding and overcoming.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:29 PM

8,830 posts, read 9,793,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Hi sc122

I personally think that the book of Revelation has several levels to it and on one level was addressed to the Jews and it was a prophecy of the destruction to come in 70AD - it says coming quickly --- not 2000 years in the future, it has a lot of symbolic language in it that refers back to prophecy that was given to the physical Israelites in the OT tied to keeping commandments and inheriting the land and also if they did not obey what would happen to their nation.

Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Rev 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

I also believe that Jesus parables and predictions of the end of the aion (age) referred to the Israelite age (their heaven and earth)

I also believe that there are spiritual messages applicable to all time since then and is about individual understanding and overcoming.
I know you're a preterist Meerkat, but I just can't get on board with this yet. It makes some sense, but there's too many unanswered questions for me to buy this.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:52 PM

3,656 posts, read 480,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I know you're a preterist Meerkat, but I just can't get on board with this yet. It makes some sense, but there's too many unanswered questions for me to buy this.
Ilene, I am not a total preterist but I do believe when it says that the time was at hand/near that is exactly what it meant on that level --- I do not believe in actual plagues killing a third of the planet earth, the same as I do not believe that Jesus is an actual lamb and that there is going to be an actual beast that has 10 horns --- there are symbols (a lot of them in Revelation) Why is it that the plagues are taken as literal when so much else is symbolic -- I don't buy it.

I have wondered if the destruction will be to those that it is addressed to - the churches (the called out ones) the ones who proclaim to be Gods servants and witnesses but who are not obedient, and have not overcome. Revelation to me talks about overcoming and not being hurt of the second death ..... those that don't overcome but are called ........ Revelation is addressed to the churches, christians like to think it is addressed to them but all the bad stuff happens to others, not them.

The OT is the history of the physical Israelites national covenant with God, called, disobedient and deposed.

I wonder about the state of christianity and the question I ask is, if God did it to the nation of Israel --- will he do the same to what seems to me the apostate organisation of christianity?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:53 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,603,302 times
Quote:
Ilene, I am not a total preterist but I do believe when it says that the time was at hand/near that is exactly what it meant on that level --- I do not believe in actual plagues killing a third of the planet earth, the same as I do not believe that Jesus is an actual lamb and that there is going to be an actual beast that has 10 horns --- there are symbols (a lot of them in Revelation) Why is it that the plagues are taken as literal when so much else is symbolic -- I don't buy it.

I have wondered if the destruction will be to those that it is addressed to - the churches (the called out ones) the ones who proclaim to be Gods servants and witnesses but who are not obedient, and have not overcome. Revelation to me talks about overcoming and not being hurt of the second death ..... those that don't overcome but are called ........ Revelation is addressed to the churches, christians like to think it is addressed to them but all the bad stuff happens to others, not them.
Yes, funny how that works, isn't it. The seven letters to the churches are addressed to BELIEVERS in Christ, not the world.
Quote:
The OT is the history of the physical Israelites national covenant with God, called, disobedient and deposed.

I wonder about the state of Christianity and the question I ask is, if God did it to the nation of Israel --- will he do the same to what seems to me the apostate organization of Christianity?
I've wondered that also. Yet there is something about the time of the gentiles coming to a close and God grafting the natural branch back in. So perhaps that will bring about the healing of the nations which is also spoken of in Revelation.
Unlike you, I do take the plagues in Revelation literally as well as a time of unprecedented tribulation coming upon the earth. When I look around, the oceans are dying, the fish are dying, the birds are dying, the animals are dying and people are killing one another and the powers of the governments are oppressing the people all over the globe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity