Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 PM

5,965 posts, read 6,979,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
If we are to view revelations literally, then the beast will be easy to spot, not that many multi headed monsters around, just keep an eye out for one of those, a no brainer to me.

One big nuke may even take care of the creature, then we can go about our business. Unless it is Ghidra, then we might need Godzillas help.
Made me laugh out loud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 03:10 PM

5,965 posts, read 6,979,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Just a thought on this verse:

Rev 14:10 he also shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, that hath been mingled unmixed in the cup of His anger, and he shall be tormented in fire and brimstone before the holy messengers, and before the Lamb,
11and the smoke of their torment doth go up to ages of ages; and they have no rest day and night, who are bowing before the beast and his image, also if any doth receive the mark of his name.

Consider this as a possibility. Rev 14:10-11 is a description of what's happening right now in this world. It is done in the presence of Jesus.

It is 'torment', not meaning 'torture', but meaning testing/refining as in how metal is tested for purity in a refinery.

"ages of ages"? perhaps: in the OT a man's life is consider an 'age'. Ages of ages - symbolizing all of mankind's lives - all being tested and purified in fire - spiritual fire - the trials and tribulations of this world.

What is the "beast"? The beast is our own carnal nature. (Ecc 3:18 says men are beasts - we sit in the temple proclaiming ourselves to be 'god'). In short, we are the beast when we think we are in control and do as we please not acknowledging who the real boss is: God. The "mark" is taken by anyone who follows this beast. ie. this means ALL OF US.
Rev 13:8 All inhabitants of the earth will worship the beast—all whose names have not been written in the Lamb’s book of life, the Lamb who was slain from the creation of the world.

ALL worship the beast - all have the mark. We worship the beast by worshiping ourselves. We all have done it. We all have the mark - that is, UNTIL one realizes who the beast is and then come to acknowledge Christ. Those not in the book of life do not know Christ yet. They are not in 'his rest'. What does it mean to acknowledge Christ? Confessing and believing in Him and knowing Him. What does that mean?:
1 John 4:7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

If we love one another - we KNOW God. That is what it is all about. The carnal beast is SELFISH. Knowing God is the opposite of that.

Those who worship the beast 'have no rest night or day'. Sounds like many people in this world. They are trying to rest in their own works instead of resting in Christ's finished work. No one has true rest until they realize they can rest in what Christ did for us all and give up all these doctrines and works that say man must do this or that OR ELSE. This is tied to the sabbath command. Christ is our sabbath. We must enter His rest.

JMHO I could be wrong on some of this, I'm trying to piece it together myself. But I hope people can see this is a lot deeper than being thrown into fire to be tortured forever (or even for ages).
Excellent thoughts, Legoman. I see these things similarly and like you, I don't claim to have an infallible or complete revelation of truth.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:13 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,719,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, the offer is still open. Rev 22 says "I am coming soon", so it refers to times BEFORE the 2nd coming of Christ, which is now, today.
On the contrary, the scriptures say that though all the "sinners" are outside the new city, nevertheless the gates to the city will be open at all times(Rev 21:25), so that whoever desires may come and drink.

Just like we have time now, there will be time then, and enough time until finally everyone will one way or another come to Christ, either by baptism of the holy spirit or baptism by fire.

And we see that the leaves of the trees of life which grow around the river of life which comes from the throne of glory in the new city are for "the healing of the nations"(Revelation 22:1-2). What nations will need to be healed other than the Goat nations, for the sheep nations? As it is clear that Christ considers sin to be humanity's disease, and he is the great physician which is come to destroy sin and death and set the captives of sin and death free(Mark 2:17, Mark 2:17) ...

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 01-27-2011 at 03:26 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,574,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
on the contrary, the scriptures say that though all the "sinners" are outside the new city, that the gates to the city will be open, so that whoever desires may come and drink.

Just like we have time now, there will be time then, and enough time until finall everyone will one way or another come to Christ, either by baptism of the holy spirit or baptism by fire.
That's true, it does say that.....never thought about it until now.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:18 PM

76,947 posts, read 47,255,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I never mentioned the 2nd coming -
No, but that is what we were talking about.

Quote:
If we can start looking for Him to be glorified in our lives TODAY instead of being consumed with future events, people would realize that the Kingdom is within us and bursting to come forth
Good. I hope you find Him, and won't be consumed by future events. I already have, and I can assure it is well worth it. I do hope Christ comes back during my life-time, but I accept the possiblity that it won't happen until after I am gone. No big deal.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
on the contrary, the scriptures say that though all the "sinners" are outside the new city, that the gates to the city will be open, so that whoever desires may come and drink.
Well, Rev 22 actually does say "I am coming soon". And the offer IS STILL OPEN.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:31 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,574,987 times
Quote:
Yes, but how soon is soon? You say you're ok with the fact that he might not come in your lifetime but yet you keep saying he's coming "soon".....which is it Finn? The offer is always open, nothing new about that.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
It certainly does, and yes it certainly is ...

Old 01-27-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Yes, but how soon is soon? You say you're ok with the fact that he might not come in your lifetime but yet you keep saying he's coming "soon".....which is it Finn? The offer is always open, nothing new about that.
Me? No, not me, the BIBLE says He is coming soon. Like I said earlier, there are many parables describing the master who leaves and says he is coming back soon, but he takes longer to return that people think. Even the wise virgins fell asleep waiting but when he comes, His return takes everyone by surprise.

Do you believe in the 2nd coming? I notice that not all URs believe in it.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Me? No, not me, the BIBLE says He is coming soon. Like I said earlier, there are many parables describing the master who leaves and says he is coming back soon, but he takes longer to return that people think. Even the wise virgins fell asleep waiting but when he comes, His return takes everyone by surprise.

Do you believe in the 2nd coming? I notice that not all URs believe in it.
Not all Eternal Tormentors or Annihilators believe in it either ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity