Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:51 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,563,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Me? No, not me, the BIBLE says He is coming soon. Like I said earlier, there are many parables describing the master who leaves and says he is coming back soon, but he takes longer to return that people think. Even the wise virgins fell asleep waiting but when he comes, His return takes everyone by surprise.

Do you believe in the 2nd coming? I notice that not all URs believe in it.
Yes I do believe in the 2nd coming, but I don't believe in fear mongering or continually saying "he's coming soon". You said yourself in a post right here in this thread that you weren't sure if he would come in your lifetime. So why stress over it? If one is ready, then they're ready. I feel we should always be watching but the main thing to focus on is getting other people to accept Christ through love and patience so they won't have to endure what's coming. Once they are converted, THEN they can concern themselves with watching and being ready. Getting people saved NOW is my main concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 05:01 PM

76,823 posts, read 47,136,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Yes I do believe in the 2nd coming, but I don't believe in fear mongering or continually saying "he's coming soon".
If the coming of Christ triggers fear in you, then there is something wrong.

To a believer, the coming of Christ is the best news we can think of. It is not fear mongering, but JOY MONGERING.

Quote:
You said yourself in a post right here in this thread that you weren't sure if he would come in your lifetime. So why stress over it?
Stress? Who is stressing? It is the topic of the discussion.Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-27-2011 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: use report functin if you think you have been insulted or attacked

Old 01-27-2011, 05:11 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,869,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
what do you make of the book of Revelation?Moderator cut: edit ,I can't fathom God being so cruel as to literally pour out all the horrible plagues mentioned in the book of Rev. upon the earth,esp. on purpose.(I can beleive they are caused by man though).And I can't imagine something like that would be 'for our own good'.Jesus didn't wreck havoc upon the earth when He came,He did only good,so this just doesn't make any sense.
thanks for any thoughts,UR's
Since this book is the last one in the bible, I assume it was the last book written by Saint Paul.

Maybe he was an angry old man at that point and was just spouting whatever came to his mind. Maybe he wrote those things because he was suffering from the early onset of alzheimers.

Anyway, god gave you a brain so you could think for yourself. If you don't like what the bible says, then figure out for yourself what god wants you to do with your life, and then do it.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:26 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,563,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Since this book is the last one in the bible, I assume it was the last book written by Saint Paul.

Maybe he was an angry old man at that point and was just spouting whatever came to his mind. Maybe he wrote those things because he was suffering from the early onset of alzheimers.

Anyway, god gave you a brain so you could think for yourself. If you don't like what the bible says, then figure out for yourself what god wants you to do with your life, and then do it.
Hmmmm.... Out of the mouth of atheists comes some of the best advice. Actually, the book of Revelation is said to be written by John, but which one is the question.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:30 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,869,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Hmmmm.... Out of the mouth of atheists comes some of the best advice.
Thanks, Ilene.

Probably anyone who thinks for themselves will come to the same conclusions that I have.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:21 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,517,382 times
If one believes that God is all powerful and that there is nothing outside of His control then it's not hard at all to reconcile the idea of the conditions as symbolicly portrayed in Rev.

Just for a minute think about all the disasters that we see on the earth today. Do you think that God has nothing to do with these natural calamities? Millions of people die in floods , earthquakes and all kinds of other natural disasters.

What we as human beings have a difficult time understanding is God's judgements on this fallen world. We ignore the many places in the bible where it displays the anger of a Holy God.
Think for a moment about Noah. God destroyed the entire human race except one family. The world is under God's judgement and it's only By His grace through Jesus that anyone escapes it.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:29 PM

5,965 posts, read 6,971,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Good. I hope you find Him, and won't be consumed by future events.
Finn,

Are you boasting about tomorrow? Has God given you a guarantee that you will not be taken away in a tornado, a mass murder, or some other unexpected calamity? The NT does not make a promise that we will escape tribulation in this world. Why do you talk as if it does? Do you really believe that you will never die (physically) or that you have been promised a painless existence and death?

Old 01-27-2011, 06:45 PM

8,076 posts, read 6,833,624 times
If a person think all sorts of horrible things are going to happen to people but that THEY are being raptured away... how could that possibly be joy to them if they are commanded to love their neighbor? Would they really find joy in that?? What about their neighbor? What about "love your neighbor"... if your neighbor is not raptured away along with you, where is the love in being JOYFUL while YOU are raptured away from horribleness while your neighbor is "left behind" in the horribleness?

This makes NO sense to me.

UNLESS... you believe that the coming of Christ is good news for ALL people, THEN that would be JOYFUL!

When people talk about the Coming of Christ, they are usually reffering to this time when all the good believers will be whisked away in the air while all the bad unbelievers will go through horrible things. And the people who URGE others to "hurry up and believe" before God takes away all the "good believers" and leaves you behind to suffer, suffer and suffer some more!
THAT Is fear-mongering and nothing BUT.

THERE is NO FEAR in love.

The world suffers for lack of knowledge...

LACK OF THE KNOWLEDGE of LOVE.
That GOD IS LOVE.
That they are valuable, loved and an important part of creation.
THe world needs to know God's love.

Think about what you are SPREADING in this world.
LIGHT or just MORE DARKNESS THAT WE ALREADY HAVE ALL AROUND US.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:55 PM

5,965 posts, read 6,971,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
If a person think all sorts of horrible things are going to happen to people but that THEY are being raptured away... how could that possibly be joy to them if they are commanded to love their neighbor? Would they really find joy in that?? What about their neighbor? What about "love your neighbor"... if your neighbor is not raptured away along with you, where is the love in being JOYFUL while YOU are raptured away from horribleness while your neighbor is "left behind" in the horribleness?

This makes NO sense to me.

UNLESS... you believe that the coming of Christ is good news for ALL people, THEN that would be JOYFUL!

When people talk about the Coming of Christ, they are usually reffering to this time when all the good believers will be whisked away in the air while all the bad unbelievers will go through horrible things. And the people who URGE others to "hurry up and believe" before God takes away all the "good believers" and leaves you behind to suffer, suffer and suffer some more!
THAT Is fear-mongering and nothing BUT.

THERE is NO FEAR in love.

The world suffers for lack of knowledge...

LACK OF THE KNOWLEDGE of LOVE.
That GOD IS LOVE.
That they are valuable, loved and an important part of creation.
THe world needs to know God's love.

Think about what you are SPREADING in this world.
LIGHT or just MORE DARKNESS THAT WE ALREADY HAVE ALL AROUND US.
It is because the "love of SELF" is sitting on the throne in many hearts (self preservation as a result of the fear of death). Jesus said love your NEIGHBOR and YOURSELF, not just love YOURSELF. Yet the scriptures say whoever LOVES HIS OWN LIFE will LOSE IT.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:57 PM

76,823 posts, read 47,136,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Finn,

Are you boasting about tomorrow? Has God given you a guarantee that you will not be taken away in a tornado, a mass murder, or some other unexpected calamity? The NT does not make a promise that we will escape tribulation in this world. Why do you talk as if it does? Do you really believe that you will never die (physically) or that you have been promised a painless existence and death?
There is nothing to boast about really. Either Jesus comes in our lifetime, or He doesn't. It is beyond my control. I never said I will not experience death, so your entire post is just another attempt to make me look silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity