U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 08:45 AM

351 posts, read 284,010 times

Advertisements

I came to the study of God and the Bible about 5 or 6 years ago. Before that I was kinda drifting along, just acceptong what orthers told me. As I learned more and God opened my eyes to certain things I started changing my beliefs and opinions. I am now on a journey of learning as much as God will allow me to understand.

I do have one question I would like others opinions on. It is action movies. I like a good movie. Some of them(many in fact) are action movies where there is lots of violence and people getting hurt and killed. In the end the viliam gets his just due and all is well.

I got to thinking the other day about this. Jesus was against violence and revenge against your enemies. Now I know the movies are fiction and no one acually gets hurt or killed and in fact some of it is so exaggerated it is almost cartoonish. But I like the fact that the bad guy gets his in the end. Is this wrong on me to feel like this? I know it is just a movie and not real. In my life I no longer hate anyone. I am still working on the love(Agappa) of everyone and I am not there yet. The thought of people getting what they deserve seems right and just but who am I to determine what they deserve. But it is just a movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 10:17 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,315,941 times
You are trying to resolve what you see as a conflict between a fable with a movie that written purely to entertain and make money in the process. Of course it is going to be confusing to you, as neither have any connection to reality.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:21 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,128,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
I came to the study of God and the Bible about 5 or 6 years ago. Before that I was kinda drifting along, just acceptong what orthers told me. As I learned more and God opened my eyes to certain things I started changing my beliefs and opinions. I am now on a journey of learning as much as God will allow me to understand.

I do have one question I would like others opinions on. It is action movies. I like a good movie. Some of them(many in fact) are action movies where there is lots of violence and people getting hurt and killed. In the end the viliam gets his just due and all is well.

I got to thinking the other day about this. Jesus was against violence and revenge against your enemies. Now I know the movies are fiction and no one acually gets hurt or killed and in fact some of it is so exaggerated it is almost cartoonish. But I like the fact that the bad guy gets his in the end. Is this wrong on me to feel like this? I know it is just a movie and not real. In my life I no longer hate anyone. I am still working on the love(Agappa) of everyone and I am not there yet. The thought of people getting what they deserve seems right and just but who am I to determine what they deserve. But it is just a movie.
GREAT thread imo, sschulz!

I think it is natural for man to want to seek revenge. Perhaps Paul also believed the same, when he encouraged us to "avenge not yourselves." and "overcome evil with good."

It seems to me that revenge is carnal, but love and mercy and forgiveness are spiritual. The natural man doesn't generally forgive. Or if he does, it's "on his terms."
But God's forgiveness is total, free and without "strings" attached. Maybe because Love seeks the betterment of the other. And revenge is more about seeking the "betterment" of self.

Just my 2c anyway..

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-28-2011, 10:25 AM

7,544 posts, read 11,589,052 times
I watch UFC (Mixed Martial Arts) all the time - but while these guys are beating the snot out of each other, I can see the little boy in them, wanting to be loved and accepted. The reasons people get into the place they are now are common among men.

That's mine.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:02 PM

5,754 posts, read 4,605,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post

Hi, I loved your post.
Here is my take on it...

When we start to change our views, and change our perspectives, it trickles down and permeates everything in our lives. Even the little things like our attitudes we have when watching movies, even. This is a good thing, because it means things are affecting you wholly, down to the core and it's not just a shallow thing that is taking place. It is on your mind and your are conscious of it. (I think that is AWESOME.)

I understand your liking it that the bad guy gets it in the end. But y'know just shift the way you see it, instead of thinking of the human being getting it in the end, think of it as the evil (non-love is what it REALLY is) that has such a strong hold on this human being as the thing that is "Getting it" in the end. NOT the human being. Because just like little elmer said about seeing the people as little kids, that's how you need to see people (yes! Even in movies, because while it's just a movie, it STILL represents something!) See everyone as GOD sees us as His children.

We were all innoncent children once. What happened? I tell you what happened, this world where we are dealing with the contrast, the SEVERE contrast of LOVE and NON-LOVE. It isn't about CONDONING non-love or violence committed by people. It's not about saying to the
bad guy" "hey, yeah it's ok go ahead and murder those folks!" NO NO NO! Of course not. But you can STILL see the CHILD within that murderer. You can still understand that SOMETHING happened along the way to that child that USED to be. and it was NOT LOVE. You start to understand that somewhere along the way NON-LOVE somehow destroyed that child. We all experience and react to things in different ways. One person can turn out to be a BETTER person because of their experiences, another person can turn out to be a WORSE person and LASH OUT. (Again, this isn't about creating excuses for people, it's about looking DEEPER within a person and not just at what He has done. This isn't something that everyone can do. It just isn't. I think it really has to be put on your heart to do it. So I tihnk maybe some people might not understand what I'm talking about or maybe they might even be angry about it.)

When your thoughts of compassion, mercy can trickle down enough to where even characters in a movie, you can think to yourself, what happened to that poor soul? How did non-love get such a grip on that human being?? How did it happen? When you try to push aside the harshness and ugliness that the person has committed and see your "neighbor" standing there, that little child standing there amidst all that they've done.... And when you think about Jesus on the cross forgiving the people AS THEY were killing Him.... you start to think about WHY He did it. This is a very, very deep thing to ponder. but if Jesus saw those people as we ALL ought to SEE OUR NEIGHBOR, than we can understand WHY and HOW He forgave.

Don't let anyone think you are silly for thinking these things about "mere movies" because what you are doing is taking what is unfolding in your heart and applying it to your life. And movies are something that are part of our lives, are they not? Every opportunity we get to put LOVE into action, our hearts expand, and more of GOD can fit into our heart and conquer.

Watching movies can be a good exercise, good lessons, good opportunities to contemplate. Movies are a reflection of life. The more your exercise that heart muscle, the stronger it becomes.

I think you're on a great path..
Love conquers all.
God is love.

peace friend,
sparrow

Old 01-29-2011, 01:17 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,775,452 times
Great post Sparrow!! I think you put it very eloquently and I understand completely what you're saying. We all have that desire to see the bad guy "get it" in the end, but like you said if you can look at it as "evil" getting what's due to it instead of the person then that's a good thing. Trying to envision that person as a little child, and what might have happened along the way, is a very difficult thing to do but we must try. It's all part of growing in God's love and seeing what He sees.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:42 AM

5,754 posts, read 4,605,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Great post Sparrow!! I think you put it very eloquently and I understand completely what you're saying. We all have that desire to see the bad guy "get it" in the end, but like you said if you can look at it as "evil" getting what's due to it instead of the person then that's a good thing. Trying to envision that person as a little child, and what might have happened along the way, is a very difficult thing to do but we must try. It's all part of growing in God's love and seeing what He sees.

Amen Ilene!! Absolutely... and like someone else said, seeing "God" in each person. I think that is such a great vision to have and to hold onto. God created us all. I remember so vividly in my heart certain things that made "love conquers all" come to life for me. My own dad's forgiveness of his mother's extreme neglect of all of her children. It's a story so full of horribleness and just man, it's just incredible what my dad and his 7 siblings went through. But my dad forgave so quickly... all those years of misery. He forgave because he looked past all of her shortcomings and failures as a mother and he saw how her own parents failed HER. His love for her OVERCAME her NON-love.

I also think about that man who forgave his daughter's killer and how everyone in the courtroom said evil things to this monster of a killer, but this one man stood up and said he forgave him... and the killer broke down. The first and only thing that made this stony, cold, remorseless man actually break down and start to cry was a display of unbelievable mercy and forgiveness. That scene is etched in my mind and heart. I saw something very profound there. Something broke through. And it was real, the man was not expecting it. And it touched something within him, if even for a moment. But it was there. Buried deep.

I also think about Azim Khamisa who forgave his son's killer....and even partnered with the killer's grandfather in creating a foundation (teaching non-violence).

It is these things that show us that LOVE conquers all. It's these things, that show us how LOVE is MORE powerful than whatever destruction non-love can possibly cause. Love IS ALWAYS MORE powerful.

Non-love is destructive, but it is weak and impotent in the face of LOVE.
Jesus on the cross.. makes you think about that in a whole new way.
OF what it meant... of what it pointed to.

There truly is nothing more powerful than Love.
God IS Love.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:49 AM

7,886 posts, read 6,708,925 times
The media, the hollywood movies , tv, radio, internet the world influences are laced with the spirit of antichrist and believers of Jesus must leave a door open for Jesus to bring direction into our lives .... Jesus will allow the pleasures of our heart but if we bring irreverence to HIS Holy Spirit then confusion will come and our prayers will be lopsided and the correction to be released from curses can be forsaking some of these things that we have tolerated without considering the Lords Spirit.......When the Lord tells you to do something , Then do it and be bless and never go back.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or