U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:50 PM

58,519 posts, read 31,902,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I won't say any names, Finn... but there are indeed people who worship the Bible, and consider it "Christian."
I know you think there are such people, but if you refrain from calling others demeaning names, then you might be able "learn their perspective" as sparrow put it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 01:07 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,111,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I know you think there are such people, but if you refrain from calling others demeaning names, then you might be able "learn their perspective" as sparrow put it.
I agree.
What I am seeing in all this, however, is also the fact that when our religion is "on paper" and "literal" rather than spiritual, it can lead to world wars (no exaggeration here).

One example is Christian Zionism. Christians who are not at all against the fighting and killing in the Middle East, all because it will "lead to the second coming of Christ."

Well, the second coming of Christ will happen anyway, but we don't need to support shellings and bombings in order for it to happen! And at the expense of innocent people..!

Dangerous, lethal stuff. And it's all based on very literal interpretations and following a "holy text" rather than a heart of compassion.

Peace,
brian

Old 01-28-2011, 01:13 PM

8,596 posts, read 10,304,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Why is there so much arguing in the Christianity forum? Why can't there be just an acceptance of differences?

maam, you didn't follow soc.culture.jewish in the days of the great OCR flame wars, did you?

Old 01-28-2011, 01:14 PM

4,083 posts, read 4,299,396 times
I am not talking about debates, I am talking about the tendency to argue and then become so set in a belief that the other person is completely disregarded. I don't think my question is so much out there.

Honestly I had never seen this side of Christianity until I started reading on these forums. It was an utter shock to see how some Christians believe and treat others who are different in their beliefs or non beliefs.

It really was an innocent question.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I don't see why people can't have civilized debates on things they disagree about. When people become emotional and uncivilized, that always leads to censorship (loss of freedom of expression of ideas). And censorship leads to people finding somewhere else to discuss things. I'm opposed to outright censorship of topics in general. I think so long as people do not use ad hom or intentionally inflammatory language, discussions should not be censored.
Who said anything about censorship? I just was sitting here this morning thinking and I really wanted to know why sometimes there is such angst among the different Christians?

Old 01-28-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I'm still scratching my head wondering what is so wrong with asking someone about their beliefs and their perspectives...

Just because a person is secure in their own beliefs on a particular topic, is it so wrong to honestly and sincerely want to understand another's person's PERSPECTVE on the topic?? In an effort to better understand the PERSON and how they view God? Isn't GOD the main topic of the threads on this forum??

Nothing is wrong and maybe I should have been clearer. I was talking about the arguing that seems to get really ugly.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
maam, you didn't follow soc.culture.jewish in the days of the great OCR flame wars, did you?

Never been called Maam before......lol

Now I feel like my mother in law....

But no I guess I missed scj.

My intention was not to start a flame war but as one who was not brought up in Christianity although everyone around me was a Christian what they practiced was very different then what I see here sometimes.

It really was an honest question.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:12 PM

8,596 posts, read 10,304,712 times
"I am not talking about debates, I am talking about the tendency to argue and then become so set in a belief that the other person is completely disregarded."

I guess you did miss SCJ then. really, disregard would be a finer way to treat people than what went on in there.

S.C.J. FAQ: Section 2.13. Who We Are: What are OCR (O-C-R) wars? Why all the flames?

http://www.shamash.org/lists/scj-faq...faq/02-14.html

http://www.shamash.org/lists/scj-faq...faq/02-15.html

Old 01-28-2011, 02:14 PM

10,397 posts, read 8,356,451 times
Quote:
Why is there so much arguing in the Christianity forum? Why can't there be just an acceptance of differences?
Thinking....are you sure that's still allowed?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:17 PM

3,577 posts, read 454,899 times
Quote:
Nothing is wrong and maybe I should have been clearer. I was talking about the arguing that seems to get really ugly.
Jazzymom

I think what you are seeing is human nature in action --- there are a few very strong vocal ones on each side and it is not limited to just UR/ET that believe they have the truth and it is up to them to make other believe that way, and will cross the line of being respectful to others, and because they are defending "the cause" they seem not to be aware that they are crossing that line........ then others jump on the bandwagon of "the cause" and so it goes ...... religion and politics can be very volatile subjects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity