Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:46 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,025,400 times

Advertisements

Why is there so much arguing in the Christianity forum? Why can't there be just an acceptance of differences?

Last edited by Jazzymom; 01-28-2011 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:41 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,980,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Why is there so much arguing in the Christianity forum? Why can't there be just an acceptance of differences?
I don't see why people can't have civilized debates on things they disagree about. When people become emotional and uncivilized, that always leads to censorship (loss of freedom of expression of ideas). And censorship leads to people finding somewhere else to discuss things. I'm opposed to outright censorship of topics in general. I think so long as people do not use ad hom or intentionally inflammatory language, discussions should not be censored.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:45 AM

8,109 posts, read 6,851,897 times
I'm still scratching my head wondering what is so wrong with asking someone about their beliefs and their perspectives...

Just because a person is secure in their own beliefs on a particular topic, is it so wrong to honestly and sincerely want to understand another's person's PERSPECTVE on the topic?? In an effort to better understand the PERSON and how they view God? Isn't GOD the main topic of the threads on this forum??

Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,087,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I'm still scratching my head wondering what is so wrong with asking someone about their beliefs and their perspectives...

Just because a person is secure in their own beliefs on a particular topic, is it so wrong to honestly and sincerely want to understand another's person's PERSPECTVE on the topic?? In an effort to better understand the PERSON and how they view God? Isn't GOD the main topic of the threads on this forum??
I think partly its the nature of written medium in an online forum.

In real life you can ask a question, and people can read your body language and immediately see that you are open, sincere, inquiring - perhaps just to understand what they believe - or perhaps to share something.

In an online forum, you ask a question and sometimes a "tone" is read into it that is just not there or not intended. The question becomes an attack that must be defended against - why did you ask me that? What hidden agenda is there in that question? And sometimes the question is meant to raise a point that may conflict with what you believe. Then it surely becomes a matter of defence, instead of just trying to explain a view. Just some thoughts.

Pride is also a big issue. For all of us.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:10 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,338,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Jazzymom,
ALL religions create divisions as long as there are "some" who are excluded from the group.
Christian, Judaism, Islam.. It makes no difference. If your religion tells you that certain people are "heretics" and "infidels" then there is already a lack of tolerance.

But praise God, He loves ALL of us!! This should make us REJOICE!! (And it will also bring unity where before there was division.)

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-28-2011, 12:13 PM

76,949 posts, read 47,272,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Christian, Judaism, Islam.. It makes no difference. If your religion tells you that certain people are "heretics" and "infidels" then there is already a lack of tolerance.
Or "spiritless book worshippers". Yes, I think if the name calling disappeared, the tone of the board would change.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:18 PM

8,109 posts, read 6,851,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I think partly its the nature of written medium in an online forum.

In real life you can ask a question, and people can read your body language and immediately see that you are open, sincere, inquiring - perhaps just to understand what they believe - or perhaps to share something.

In an online forum, you ask a question and sometimes a "tone" is read into it that is just not there or not intended. The question becomes an attack that must be defended against - why did you ask me that? What hidden agenda is there in that question?
I totally get what you're saying. I've been discussing on forums for years and I am hyper-aware of that.

BUT...when you go out of your way to assure that the questions you are asking are sincere. That your tone is a friendly one.... that you are sincerely just wanting to know their perspective?

Well, I guess sometimes there is just not much you can do to convince someone that you actually CARE about their views and aren't just trying to fight them.

I don't know what else to say.

Sometimes you just can't win.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:31 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,338,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Or "spiritless book worshippers". Yes, I think if the name calling disappeared, the tone of the board would change.
I won't say any names, Finn... but there are indeed people who worship the Bible, and consider it "Christian." The scriptures tell us that the word "became flesh," not paper.

I put up a thread here once about "Jesus on your nightstand." That was my whole point. If Jesus is a book, then why is it that Christians are selling Him for profit in bookstores??

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-28-2011, 12:43 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,132,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I totally get what you're saying. I've been discussing on forums for years and I am hyper-aware of that.

BUT...when you go out of your way to assure that the questions you are asking are sincere. That your tone is a friendly one.... that you are sincerely just wanting to know their perspective?

Well, I guess sometimes there is just not much you can do to convince someone that you actually CARE about their views and aren't just trying to fight them.

I don't know what else to say.

Sometimes you just can't win.
Well, if you are referring to your locked topic, then all I can say is you didn't TRULY desire to see things from a Annihilationist point of view. You were looking at a trap and bait. What? You don't know enough about it to base an opinion? There are PLENTY of sites out there to give you insight, including the BEST BOOK EVER WRITTEN,,the written Word of God called the Bible.

Nuff said.

Peace, and may you actually find the Truth.

Tony

Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,085,109 times
What do you mean they argue all the time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity