U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:07 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,397,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June heard this term the other day, and is curious what, if anything, it means to people. As well, June is just curious as to how this God is 'relational.' Lastly, if God is relational, how does (or should it) have an impact among believers, specifically, Christians?

Thanks in advance!
If Jesus really existed, really is God and the Bible gives us a factual account of his time here on planet earth in human form, well, I would have to say that this would be about as "relational" as any God could possibly get. We would have the example of a "relational" kind of God who feels what we feel, cries when we cry, feels pain like we feel pain, suffers as we suffer...and so on.

So, could this also be considered as a 'personally relational' example to us now, in this modern day and age?

Well, do you have a Bible? Is it real? Can you hold it in your hands and read it? Is it possible for letters from a loved one to actually be "relational?"

Does the 'relational' always have to be associated with the 'spiritual?'

The overall impact of this on Christianity and the church in the present and throughout history would all go without saying I would think.

PS: For what it's worth, and I really don't wish to offend you here, but I can't help but say that I find your constant use of the third person form of posting to be mildly irritating - and I don't think I'm alone in this view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 08:21 AM

4,083 posts, read 4,299,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
If Jesus really existed, really is God and the Bible gives us a factual account of his time here on planet earth in human form, well, I would have to say that this would be about as "relational" as any God could possibly get. We would have the example of a "relational" kind of God who feels what we feel, cries when we cry, feels pain like we feel pain, suffers as we suffer...and so on.

So, could this also be considered as a 'personally relational' example to us now, in this modern day and age?

Well, do you have a Bible? Is it real? Can you hold it in your hands and read it? Is it possible for letters from a loved one to actually be "relational?"

The overall impact of this on Christianity and the church in the present and throughout history would all go without saying I would think.

PS: For what it's worth, and I really don't wish to offend you here, but I can't help but say that I find your constant use of the third person form of posting to be mildly irritating - and I don't think I'm alone in this view.

PS..... I love the way our just June speaks!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:33 AM

11,825 posts, read 9,818,165 times
Quote:
Dear twin: Please, (perhaps what you think of June) try and suspend such judgements as June's thinking that what you wrote/quote as being foolish. That is a start....And a sincere one.

What June gleens from the above is that there is a necessary substance or in-dwelling of the Spirit that must take place prior to any form of understanding that she raised in her OP...She hopes that that is not the case...

Take gentle care, twin...
JUne,
I'm not at all surprised at your response because from a certian perspective it pretty much pulls the rug out from humanistic feel good approach to things.

It's very much the case June ... without faith it is impossible to please God, and faith is the work of the Spirit. Those who reject the Spirit will never be forgiven not might be if one is morally good. Without faith it's impossible to please God...not probable.

So I'm not surprised at all you would find it foolish ... in fact I would be the one who would be surprised if you had not found it foolish.

Quote:

No, you're not alone .....

Old 01-29-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:

The overall impact of this on Christianity and the church in the present and throughout history would all go without saying I would think..
ah...but to people who hate the Bible, it's Biblean or blasphemy or accusations of Bible worship to have the knowledge that the written word was the method of choice that God uses to communicate to his chosen ones ...but of course all the antagonistic ego's say it all in the name of "love".

God's Word the Bible "speaks to me"

Old 01-29-2011, 09:10 AM

One more thought June.... Hebrews 3:7-19

So, as the Holy Spirit says:
Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts ....

See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful,
unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God...

And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed?
So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.

Each day you live June and keep hardening your heart...is one day closer to not being able to enter.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:24 AM

4,083 posts, read 4,299,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
One more thought June.... Hebrews 3:7-19

So, as the Holy Spirit says:
Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts ....

See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful,
unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God...

And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed?
So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.

Each day you live June and keep hardening your heart...is one day closer to not being able to enter.
Moderator cut: edit

You do not know Junes heart. You assume hardness.

Not all of us have hard hearts just because we are not Christian. Those who are not Christian I find have the most open of hearts.

They tend to behave in the most "Christian" of ways.

Love your neighbor didn't Jesus say that?

Well I have seen nothing but judgement of others when they ask the questions over here.

I think some here could learn a thing or 2 from the non Christians here.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-29-2011 at 04:20 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 09:33 AM

21,280 posts, read 20,893,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Because you would be putting the cart in front of the horse.
Jesus Christ said that we should look to Him as an example. Why do you need to argue with everything I say? You said that Jesus was "not some example," and I proved otherwise. It's as simple as that.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:35 AM

21,280 posts, read 20,893,921 times
Quote:
Dear twin: Please, (perhaps what you think of June) try and suspend such judgements as June's thinking that what you wrote/quote as being foolish. That is a start....And a sincere one.
Actually, June, twin was addressing me in that post.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:10 AM

204 posts, read 165,337 times
Quote:
June heard this term the other day, and is curious what, if anything, it means to people. As well, June is just curious as to how this God is 'relational.' Lastly, if God is relational, how does (or should it) have an impact among believers, specifically, Christians?

Thanks in advance!
Without intentionally sounding preachy or too religious, I just wanted to respond by saying that I believe true Christianity is one geared toward building relationships. Not simply the obvious relationship we think of when someone repents and is reconciled to God through Jesus Christ, but relationships we create with each other.

We have to remember that God always wanted to live on the inside of His people, and those who have that indwelling should feel compelled to cultivate relationships with others. We have lived too long believing that we are to simply teach 'sin and punishment', hell and heaven. While these are very real and necessary parts of God's plan, we often overlook that quality relationships must be formed and that relationship building is also equally important to God.

It is easy to view a person committing outward or obvious sins and instruct them to change by repenting in accordance with the bible, but the easy way is not always the best. Christians must prove their love by establishing relationships with others and maintaining those relationships while displaying love. I am equally guilty of using the 'quick rebuke' method, or simply avoiding those whose lives don't line up with biblical instruction, but if any one of us stops to think sincerely, there is a little wickedness in each one of us. We battle it constantly and often our worst enemy is our own mind which leaves little room to judge anyone else, not forgetting where we came from. Christians are continually asking for forgiveness as they grow in the knowledge of Christ, shedding unhealthy, nonproductive, ungodly, self-destructive desires.

I'm instructing myself also when I say, it's time to be more 'relational' in our dealings with individuals who are not likeminded. Love disarms fear, and many who are not saved are simply afraid that someone is going to judge or attack them for some type of biblically defined wickedness, (which I say again, we all have, intentional or unintentional). Love should motivate us to include people in our lives. Jesus didn't prequalify people before including them in His life. He simply started talking with them, eating with them, fishing with them. I'm not condoning compromise or suggesting that, while in Rome, do as the Romans do, nor am I supporting a multi-religious doctrine of pluralism, but I am saying that if we really want to reflect God's true character, we ourselves are expected to be 'relational', as I believe God is.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:20 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,962,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsylvanian1 View Post
Without intentionally sounding preachy or too religious, I just wanted to respond by saying that I believe true Christianity is one geared toward building relationships. Not simply the obvious relationship we think of when someone repents and is reconciled to God through Jesus Christ, but relationships we create with each other.

We have to remember that God always wanted to live on the inside of His people, and those who have that indwelling should feel compelled to cultivate relationships with others. We have lived too long believing that we are to simply teach 'sin and punishment', hell and heaven. While these are very real and necessary parts of God's plan, we often overlook that quality relationships must be formed and that relationship building is also equally important to God.

It is easy to view a person committing outward or obvious sins and instruct them to change by repenting in accordance with the bible, but the easy way is not always the best. Christians must prove their love by establishing relationships with others and maintaining those relationships while displaying love. I am equally guilty of using the 'quick rebuke' method, or simply avoiding those whose lives don't line up with biblical instruction, but if any one of us stops to think sincerely, there is a little wickedness in each one of us. We battle it constantly and often our worst enemy is our own mind which leaves little room to judge anyone else, not forgetting where we came from. Christians are continually asking for forgiveness as they grow in the knowledge of Christ, shedding unhealthy, nonproductive, ungodly, self-destructive desires.

I'm instructing myself also when I say, it's time to be more 'relational' in our dealings with individuals who are not likeminded. Love disarms fear, and many who are not saved are simply afraid that someone is going to judge or attack them for some type of biblically defined wickedness, (which I say again, we all have, intentional or unintentional). Love should motivate us to include people in our lives. Jesus didn't prequalify people before including them in His life. He simply started talking with them, eating with them, fishing with them. I'm not condoning compromise or suggesting that, while in Rome, do as the Romans do, nor am I supporting a multi-religious doctrine of pluralism, but I am saying that if we really want to reflect God's true character, we ourselves are expected to be 'relational', as I believe God is.

BRAVO!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or