Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 04:20 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
That doesn't fit he definition Twinspin. The meaning of blaspheme means "to hold cheap". IF someone is rejecting the Holy Spirit then that is NOT defamation (to hold cheap). Blasphemy is to present the Holy Spirit as having less value or power than what it actually is. For example, there is a lot of people that say God cannot save everyone. That would be a sign of blasphemy. To blasphemy the Holy Spirit is to reduce its power or meaning.
1. If one doesn't value faith that would fit what a blasphemer is.

2. It is your incorrect conclusion that people say God cannot save everyone....and we know where that concept comes from and leads to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 05:14 PM

335 posts, read 375,683 times
My Opinion.

The one thing I see as having no forgiveness is intentionally and knowingly working against God's will. I believe this was done by Satan, Adam, and Eve.

God had a purpose for his human family. He set it in motion. There was no misunderstanding as to what God had puposed by these three. But, they chose to work against that.

I believe this is unforgivable because this shows presumption in belief that one knows better than God. That someone else's desires should take precedence over God's will. Or, that an individual's actions can change what he purposes.

Even in our legal system, there is a difference in severity of punishment in the case of taking someone's life. It can vary from manslaughter to murder. The difference being one may be unintentional, the other committed with deliberate intent.

While God has allowed people to make their own choices, there is no stopping or challenging his will in action. To try and do so, with full understanding of what one is attempting, would merit no forgiveness.

Just my 1-2 cents. (Have to consider inflation)

Old 01-30-2011, 06:47 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,030,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
1. If one doesn't value faith that would fit what a blasphemer is.
I know you will say it means otherwise, so I will leave it at that.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:21 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
So far in my life i have not come across anything i cannot forgive and better still forget.If he can forgive it so can i, if i can forgive so can he. I desire and picture all forgiven, so does he.You can throw at me every accusation under the sun why some shouldn't be forgiven,but i am unshakeable in the Savior's words on the Cross "Forgive them Father for they know not what they are doing.

Last edited by pcamps; 01-30-2011 at 08:05 PM..

Old 01-30-2011, 07:30 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
That doesn't fit he definition Twinspin. The meaning of blaspheme means "to hold cheap". IF someone is rejecting the Holy Spirit then that is NOT defamation (to hold cheap). Blasphemy is to present the Holy Spirit as having less value or power than what it actually is. For example, there is a lot of people that say God cannot save everyone. That would be a sign of blasphemy. To blasphemy the Holy Spirit is to reduce its power or meaning.
That is precisely how I interpret the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit -- to say that God's spirit is evil is blasphemy and I do believe it is done today, in fact, done often.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:40 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
That is precisely how I interpret the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit -- to say that God's spirit is evil is blasphemy and I do believe it is done today, in fact, done often.
I do not believe it can be repeated today, because it would require Jesus to be here. What the pharisees did was accuse Jesus of being obsessed by a demon as opposed to Spirit-filled, and you can't do that unless Jesus was physically here. Today the only unforgivable sin today is to die unsaved.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:46 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I do not believe it can be repeated today, because it would require Jesus to be here. What the pharisees did was accuse Jesus of being obsessed by a demon as opposed to Spirit-filled, and you can't do that unless Jesus was physically here. Today the only unforgivable sin today is to die unsaved.
Where two or more are gathered together in Jesus' name, he is there in the midst of them. God is WITH US. I believe people can and do blaspheme the Holy Spirit. But it is done out of blindness and ignorance. I do wonder though if those who do it with a passion have brought a curse upon themselves that they cannot be released from in this age. I am not sure about that.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Where two or more are gathered together in Jesus' name, he is there in the midst of them. God is WITH US. I believe people can and do blaspheme the Holy Spirit. But it is done out of blindness and ignorance. I do wonder though if those who do it with a passion have brought a curse upon themselves that they cannot be released from in this age. I am not sure about that.
Yes, He is with us, but IMO he would have to be here physically for someone to be able to witness Him heal someone and then accuse Him of being demon possessed. That is why I do not think that sin can be repeated today.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:41 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
One thing is for certain, the "unforgivable" sin is not specified so all we can do is surmise about what it would be. Guess we'll find out when we get there. Unforgivable for how long though? An age? Everlasting as in forever? I don't think so.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
One thing is for certain, the "unforgivable" sin is not specified so all we can do is surmise about what it would be. Guess we'll find out when we get there. Unforgivable for how long though? An age? Everlasting as in forever? I don't think so.
The unforgiveable sin was blasphemy against the Holy Spirit but today the only unforgiveable sin is dying in your sins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity