U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,719,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
This is what happens when you allow your brand of Christianity to spiral out of control away from Truth. The gravity of Truth prevails. It also demonstrates that you can't vote to determine Truth and trust that the majority is correct.

FoxNews.com - British Anglicans Preparing Mass Defection to Roman Catholic Church

It's okay to turn towards home, home to Jesus's Church, the Catholic Church.
Seek and ye shall find... our spiritual home is where God, our Heavenly Father is... and all we need to do is ask Him directly and He will tell us what His Truths are... and the most important one is to receive His Divine Love in our souls. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,583,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
But that was precisely what happened at the Council at Nicea in 325 A.D. Clearly, it was a majority vote that determined the "true" nature of God.
LoL. And you might want to add: a vote under pressure>

Old 01-31-2011, 11:41 PM

21,321 posts, read 21,009,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
LoL. And you might want to add: a vote under pressure>
"A vote under pressure" would be an understatement. Thanks to Constantine, once the Creed had been ratified, those who continued to teach the doctrines Arius proposed were guilty of a capitol offense. Thus ended whatever degree of separation between Church and State had existed previously, and if you valued your life, you simply stopped expressing any opposing opinion on the matter. So much for freedom to follow one's conscience.

You've also got to wonder, if the men in attendance at the council were all Catholic Bishops, then weren't they all "God's vicars on earth?" What was it about some of them that made them reliable, trustworthy and spirit-led vicars when others were evidently corrupt, unstable and debased? Weren't they all supposed to have held the authority passed down from the Apostles, the same gift of recognizing the Holy Spirit? See, something's really not right here, and it's simply being ignored by an awful lot of people.

Last edited by Katzpur; 01-31-2011 at 11:57 PM..

Old 02-01-2011, 01:03 AM
juj juj started this thread

1,657 posts, read 2,289,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
"A vote under pressure" would be an understatement. Thanks to Constantine, once the Creed had been ratified, those who continued to teach the doctrines Arius proposed were guilty of a capitol offense. Thus ended whatever degree of separation between Church and State had existed previously, and if you valued your life, you simply stopped expressing any opposing opinion on the matter. So much for freedom to follow one's conscience.

You've also got to wonder, if the men in attendance at the council were all Catholic Bishops, then weren't they all "God's vicars on earth?" What was it about some of them that made them reliable, trustworthy and spirit-led vicars when others were evidently corrupt, unstable and debased? Weren't they all supposed to have held the authority passed down from the Apostles, the same gift of recognizing the Holy Spirit? See, something's really not right here, and it's simply being ignored by an awful lot of people.
The rest of Christianity was built on the shoulders of Catholicism. If the Catholics got it wrong back then, then all protestants absolutely have NO chance of getting it right today because they would be built on a house of cards from false creeds and a useless, unreliable Bible.

But, if in fact the Catholic Church did get it right, then why wouldn't you be Catholic? Either it's all wrong or the Catholics have the Truth. To me, it's a binary decision. But, I am a simple man.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:15 AM

5,755 posts, read 4,606,683 times
God is bigger than the bible, bigger than christianity, bigger than creeds, doctrines, religions, rituals, etc.., etc.

God is LOVE.

Try to come up with something bigger than LOVE.
you can't.

We ought to wash our hands of all of this mess, all of this separation and ridiculous things that DIVIDE us and follow the path of love. That's what Jesus pointed to... the way to the Father..
along the path of LOVE.

Like legoman's thread.. "Love is the most important thing"

I think everyone ought to go on over to that thread and let it sink in.

Truth = God is LOVE. Let's take it from THERE.
Forget all the rest of the mess. and go from THAT POINT on.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:29 AM
juj juj started this thread

1,657 posts, read 2,289,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
God is bigger than the bible, bigger than christianity, bigger than creeds, doctrines, religions, rituals, etc.., etc.

God is LOVE.

Try to come up with something bigger than LOVE.
you can't.

We ought to wash our hands of all of this mess, all of this separation and ridiculous things that DIVIDE us and follow the path of love. That's what Jesus pointed to... the way to the Father..
along the path of LOVE.

Like legoman's thread.. "Love is the most important thing"

I think everyone ought to go on over to that thread and let it sink in.

Truth = God is LOVE. Let's take it from THERE.
Forget all the rest of the mess. and go from THAT POINT on.
God is love. That's very powerful metaphor and mostly right. But saying God is just love is like saying the Empire State Building is just made of steel. It's just more complicated than that.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 AM

5,755 posts, read 4,606,683 times
Quote:
God is love. That's very powerful metaphor and mostly right. But saying God is just love is like saying the Empire State Building is just made of steel. It's just more complicated than that.

I believe that in our quest to see the complexity, we miss out on the beautiful simplicity. I think it's just every human being's path though... we skip over the most important thing. But we're all going to end up back where we need to be.

God is love.

1 Corinthians 13

1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:37 AM

3,243 posts, read 3,036,763 times
That so called MASS defection comprised of THREE Anglican bishops who believe (like the Roman Catholics) that women should not have access to the power that men wield inside in the Anglican church.

Women are second class citizens in their own churches.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:40 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,583,540 times
Quote:
If the Catholics got it wrong back then, then all protestants absolutely have NO chance of getting it right
That's pretty much sums it up for me.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:47 AM

30,363 posts, read 20,092,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
That's pretty much sums it up for me.
Me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or