Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 03:00 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,220 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Just a quick question (actually 4) to all of you who say that the Bible is our "instruction book."

If we are supposed to follow the examples of the early church, then:

1) why do you preach being "born again" when the early church didn't?

2) why do you preach hellfire and brimstone, when the early church didn't?

3) why do you preach "accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior" when the early church didn't?

4) why do you tell people to ask God for forgiveness for their sins and say a "sinner's prayer" when the early church didn't?

Hoping for good explanations...

Blessings to all,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 03:14 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi everyone!

Just a quick question (actually 4) to all of you who say that the Bible is our "instruction book."
You disagree with that?

Quote:

John 3:3, 1st Peter 1:23

It's there.

Quote:
Good point. what would 'hell'' be made up of then?

Quote:
3) why do you preach "accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior" when the early church didn't?
They lost the fact of what EXACTLY Lord or King is.

Romans 10:13, Acts 8:12,

Quote:
4) why do you tell people to ask God for forgiveness for their sins and say a "sinner's prayer" when the early church didn't?
Acts 5:31, Acts 26:18, Eph 1:7, Col 1:14

Quote:

Blessings to all,
brian
There are reason doctrines and creeds are brought forth, and yes, they ARE biblical. Does it mean they are completely right? Hmm...

Peace,

Tony

Old 01-31-2011, 03:30 PM

Tony,
even though we may debate about many things, here I have to say that I completely disagree.

For example, Jesus told Nicodemus about being "born again." That's all. Period. He didn't tell Nicodemus to say a prayer, or to "get born again." And the early church is not recorded as telling others to "get born again" either.

Well, the "born again" part is perhaps less important as, for example, the fact that the early church didn't preach on hell. No record. Period. Yet today it's all we hear about!

The other 2 points also, as I put in the OP, are not cited as examples of teachings of the early church.

So why aren't fundamentalists following their "road map?" To me, it seems that they have made up a religion that is not there. But that's just my opinion..

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-31-2011, 03:58 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Tony,
even though we may debate about many things, here I have to say that I completely disagree.

For example, Jesus told Nicodemus about being "born again." That's all. Period. He didn't tell Nicodemus to say a prayer, or to "get born again." And the early church is not recorded as telling others to "get born again" either.

Well, the "born again" part is perhaps less important as, for example, the fact that the early church didn't preach on hell. No record. Period. Yet today it's all we hear about!

The other 2 points also, as I put in the OP, are not cited as examples of teachings of the early church.

So why aren't fundamentalists following their "road map?" To me, it seems that they have made up a religion that is not there. But that's just my opinion..

Blessings,
brian
I think the whole "getting saved" thing is just an example of certain Christians taking a Bible verse literally, just as Catholics (and a couple other denominations) take "This is my body..." to mean that it's literally Christ's body. Just another example of how man-made religion is. And "getting saved" is a way for evangelicals to put a number on their efforts and raise money. Meaning, they can say, "We've saved 300 people this year".

Old 01-31-2011, 04:44 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
These are very basic principals for salvation , and if you do not know the answer than you need to go to a church were these ideas are preached and get saved to the truth of the Spirit of Christ ... There are Evangelical Churches in Italy mainly only 1% of population and you need to seek one out and go there, because Jesus is free reign there and it would be easy to get a testimony of Jesus spirit... Many people in Italy do not care or a freer Lord Jesus because to 75% are of Roman Catholic and that is alright if people find Jesus Spirit in their lives...... Heard a preacher of Evangelical Church from Italy some 10 years ago , who said Italy is free now for other ideas of Jesus Christ and this preacher came from the Kenneth Hagin Schools and started a hand full of Evangelical churches there in Italy ...... These people KNOW JESUS and are very blessed .....

Old 01-31-2011, 05:02 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!

Blessings to all,
brian
Actually early church fathers did teach about the above things.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,845 times
Quote:
Tony,

Blessings,
brian
Well, I suppose then you need to define what your point about being 'born-again' actually is,,,according to you, or the Word,,whichever you prefer. I was just stating what the Bible says. I actually do not agree with it, as I am not a fundamentalist.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:48 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,162 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!

Blessings to all,
brian
Have you read the Epistles? All four of your question are addressed in the Epistles which cover the early church. Know if you are trying to use the apostate church as the early church then that is your mistake.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:54 PM

138 posts, read 163,568 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!

Blessings to all,
brian

Christians don't understand that the Roman government is the one who started Christianity after they killed all the true saints. They produced the new testament that was designed to keep these new Christians from every becoming sinless saints who preach the true gospel.

Christianity isn't anything like the saints and Jesus were but the followers of the saints who were abanded when their saints were killed, didn't have a chance to fight against the Roman Empire and their new pope, Constantine who orchestrated this false religion to make sure this saint stuff would never happen again.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Have you read the Epistles? All four of your question are addressed in the Epistles which cover the early church. Know if you are trying to use the apostate church as the early church then that is your mistake.
All of 'em! Paul doesn't use the word "hell" in his epistles; and the couple of times that "hell" is mentioned, it's not similar to what Jesus talked about.

My point of the OP, is that the Book of Acts (not the epistles written to churches) doesn't have much at all in common with modern Christianity. "Born again," "hellfire and brimstone" and "sinner's prayer" are not to be found in the Book of Acts, the very book which shows the early church "in action."

That's why I see contradictions. Fundamentalists say to follow the Bible. But they don't.

Blessings,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity