U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:45 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,127,706 times

Advertisements

Everyone today is vocal about their beliefs. But somehow when Christians talk about our Jesus, we are somehow told to sit down and shut up. But the truth of the matter is that our Lord and Savior clearly said to us that He's the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and No one can come to the Father except through Him. This quote was taken directly out of Jesus' own mouth, and He didn't need any of the 12 apostles to tell the world how to get to the Father. With that said, let the discussions begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 11:01 PM

37,766 posts, read 25,468,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Everyone today is vocal about their beliefs. But somehow when Christians talk about our Jesus, we are somehow told to sit down and shut up. But the truth of the matter is that our Lord and Savior clearly said to us that He's the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and No one can come to the Father except through Him. This quote was taken directly out of Jesus' own mouth, and He didn't need any of the 12 apostles to tell the world how to get to the Father. With that said, let the discussions begin.
That describes a structural reality of our species relationship with God . . . not an intellectual requirement to "believe IN" any particular set of man-made beliefs about it. When we "believe ON" Jesus . . . it means we are using the "love of God and each other" (that Jesus IS) as the CONDUIT to connect with God. We cannot express this agape "love of God and each other" without Jesus . . . since God IS love. This is an entirely inner process involving our ACTUAL beliefs about God and each other as reflected in our "fruit" . . . not our intellectual pronouncements.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:17 AM

18,270 posts, read 9,040,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That describes a structural reality of our species relationship with God . . . not an intellectual requirement to "believe IN" any particular set of man-made beliefs about it. When we "believe ON" Jesus . . . it means we are using the "love of God and each other" (that Jesus IS) as the CONDUIT to connect with God. We cannot express this agape "love of God and each other" without Jesus . . . since God IS love. This is an entirely inner process involving our ACTUAL beliefs about God and each other as reflected in our "fruit" . . . not our intellectual pronouncements.
Shiloach , sending forth; a fountain of truth!

Old 02-03-2011, 05:53 AM

166 posts, read 134,591 times
Quote:
our Lord and Savior clearly said to us that He's the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and No one can come to the Father except through Him.

Amen brother, He also said this:

Joh 6:44 - No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:09 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,747,377 times
Quote:
This is the part that gets me. Jesus is YOUR savior-lord, the bible is YOUR holy book, YOU believe in him and YOU worship him but then YOU claim EVERYBODY ELSE needs to accept him or else. This I find very arrogant.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:16 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,818,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
This is the part that gets me. Jesus is YOUR savior-lord, the bible is YOUR holy book, YOU believe in him and YOU worship him but then YOU claim EVERYBODY ELSE needs to accept him or else. This I find very arrogant.
Quite. The whole thing smacks of a third-grade, playground retort; "Nyah, nyah! I'm goin' to heaven and you ain't! Nyah, nyah...teacher (Jeezuz) likes me best!"
This is not a stance that reasonable, intelligent adults respond to favorably.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:50 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,709,934 times
Quote:

Yes, but is that way simply a recital of words translated to the language we know or is that way dependant upon what it all actually stands for?

Does a person have to recite the words, or simply understand what it means?

While Christians talk of these things we can go into churches and listen to pastors tell us that most of their congregation, even though they have recited words are doomed after preaching and preaching that you have to say those same words. What nonsense.

Perhaps Christians are learning that the words are meaningless after all and it is the nature of ones heart that is to be examined and words cannot express the issue. It is not necessarily a matter of keeping silent it often is a matter of examining the nature of a person and realizing they have the spirit of what some would say the words Jesus Christ to express.

That is the difference between a real spiritual nature and just religious posturing.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 AM

20,439 posts, read 15,801,107 times
Quote:
Everyone today is vocal about their beliefs. But somehow when Christians talk about our Jesus, we are somehow told to sit down and shut up.
This is because as believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, we are in the world, but not of the world. As believers, we are ambassadors for Christ (2 Cor 5:20) representing Him in the devils world. We are in enemy territory and so when we speak the truth we become objects of attack by the cosmos diabolicus- the world system by which Satan attempts to control the world.

Quote:
But the truth of the matter is that our Lord and Savior clearly said to us that He's the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and No one can come to the Father except through Him. This quote was taken directly out of Jesus' own mouth, and He didn't need any of the 12 apostles to tell the world how to get to the Father. With that said, let the discussions begin.
Acts 4:12 ''And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved.''

Old 02-03-2011, 09:29 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,602,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I agree. I find it very arrogant as well. I do believe in Jesus Christ, but he is not to be used as a whip to flog my neighbor with!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:43 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,235,045 times
just as bad is saying to someone 'I'll pray for you" when you know they don't want you to.It's very condesceding,imo.
if you chose to pray for them,just be quiet about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or