Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 06:00 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times

Advertisements

J. Vernon Mcgee. I really liked him. Wasn't he the guy that would start at the beginning of the bible , and go all the way through?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 06:49 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
J. Vernon Mcgee. I really liked him. Wasn't he the guy that would start at the beginning of the bible , and go all the way through?
I think his show was called "Thru the Bible, with J. Vernon McGee", so you're probably right. This was 20-some odd years ago, so I don't recall exactly how he went through the Bible. I just remember hearing him preach about different things.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:27 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,281,758 times
Smile Unpardonable Sin

Matthew 12:31-32 reference scripture
Here is a discourse of Christ's upon this occasion, concerning tongue sins:
Wherefore I say unto you, Here Jesus seems to turn from the Pharisees to the people, from disputing to instructing; and from the sin of the Pharisees, he warns the people concerning three types of tongue-sins; for others harms are admonitions to us.
1. Blasphemous words against the Holy Ghost is the worst kind of tongue-sin; and unpardonable Vs31-32.
Here is gracious assurance of pardon of all sin upon gospel terms:this Christ says to us and it is a comfortable saying, that the greatness of sin shall be no bar to our acceptance with God, if we truly repent and believe the gospel : All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men. Though the sin has been as scarlet and crimson (Isaiah 1:18), though so ever heinous in it's nature. ever so much aggravated by it's circumstances, and ever so often repeated, though it reach up to the heavens, yet with the Lord there is mercy, that reacheth beyond the heavens, mercy will be extended even to blasphemy, a sin immediately touching God's name and honour. Paul obtained mercy, who had been a blasphemer, ITim.1:13,. Even the words spoken unto man shall be forgiven, for theirs are those who reviled at Him at His death, many of who repented and found mercy. Christ has set an example to all the sons of men, to be ready to forgive words spoken against them." I as deaf man, heard not". Observe "they shall be forgiven unto men", not devils; this is love to the whole world of mankind, above the world of fallen angels, that all sin is pardonable to them.
2. Here is an exception of the "blasphemy of the Holy Ghost". which is here declared to be the only unpardonable sin. See Here,
[1.] What is this sin?; it is "speaking against the Holy Ghost".
See what malignity there is in tongue-sins, when the only unpardonable sin is so. "But Jesus knew their thoughts"
Note: "Here is the answer"
"Whosoever shall blaspheme", as for thos who blasphemed Christ while He was here upon the earth, calling Him names like a Winebibber, A Deceiver, A Blasphemer; they had some colour of excuse;because of the meaness of His appearance, and the prejudices of the nations against Him; and ther proof of His Divine Mission; was not perfected until after His ascension. and therefore, upon their repentance,they shall be pardoned: and it is hoped that they may be convinced by the pouring out of the Spirit, as many of them were, who had been His betrayers and murderers. But if , when the Holy Ghost is given, in His inward gifts of revelation, speaking with tongues and the like, such as were the distributions of the Spirit among the apostles, [Note] " If they continue to blaspheme the Spirit likewise, as an evil Spirit, there is no hope of them that they will ever be brought to believe in Christ; for First, those gifts that were in the apostles was the last proof that God designed to make use of, for the confirming of the gospel, and were still kept in reserve, when other methods preceded. Secondly, This was the most powerful evidence, and more apt to convince than miracles themselves. Thirdly, those who blaspheme this dispensation of the Spirit, cannot possibly be brought to believe in Christ; those who shall impute them with a collusion with satan, as the Pharisees did the miracles, what can convince them ?
This such a stronghold of infidelity as a man could ever be beaten out of, and is therefore unpardonable, BECAUSE HEREBY REPENTANCE IS HIDDEN FRON THE SINNER'S EYES.
this is references and excerpts taken from the Blue Letter Bible. Matthew Henry Commentary, Matthew 12:31-32

Old 09-11-2007, 12:13 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I had a nephew who cimmitted suicide. He hung himself from a tenth floor balcony..He was raised a christian..His mom (my sister) worked long hours as an RN..His dad was a ceo for IBM and spent most of the time either out of state or out of country. Both parents were overachievers, and expected their three sons to be overachievers..Two of the sons were like their parents and adapted to that way of life. Chas , didn't..He was of average intelligence, and a very loving child whose dream was to just have the normal life that all his cousins enjoyed Chas never felt he really had a place or a future in his family..He turned to drugs..His parents turned to "tough love',which was the "trendy" thing to do at the time..They turned their back on Chas A couple years later with more and more tragedy building in this young mans life and his thought of no love, no life, no way out. He found his way out...I can't hold this childs suicide against him..His suicide was a culmination of life and the people involved in his life..He got into drugs at the age of 12 and hung himself at the age of 20. I do not think suicide is the inpardonable sin..In this case and in many, many others this person craves love, and peace and feels the only way to get it is to hasten their journey into the afterlife..That was what was in Chas lenghty suicide writings..
How very sad.
I think that unfortunately children cannot look beyond their current situation because of their youth. They cannot see that the bad will pass. And there is light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.
While sometimes you have to do the tough love with drugs you also have to send them in a direction so that they can get help from counselors and people who have a knowledge of how to handle this sort of thing.
I think in allot of ways we as adults are failing our children sometimes all adults.. I think that it does not have to be your child to offer help to them. Maybe we as adults need to be reaching out our hands more to kids in trouble. Suicide is a growing problem among the youth in our culture how sad that is too.
I have heard that God has a separate heaven for children. I like to think so.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:40 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
In my opinion, this sort of thing happens to people when God is 'connected' to them. They get these weird synergies in their lives. This happens to my pastor, too. I am so glad that you have had this message.

Of course, I still don't know what it is, but I can see some sort of reasoning that some of the message in the Bible pertained to those alive before He died for us.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
This is the only sin that the Bible says God will not forgive.
Please give me your ideas on what this could be.
This has got to be referring to the condition of a persons heart toward
Gods greatest gift, the gift of his only begotten son. To refuse that gift is to
deny salvation by faith in Jesus. Jesus was filled with the Holy Spirit of
God right after John baptised him. This tells me the God entered into Jesus
like a breath of air ( but discribed as a dove that decended from heaven).
Jesus said the if you see the son ,you have seen the Father , the father
is in the son and the son in the Father. When we receive the word of God into our heart it teals up the hardness of the dirt that is there so that a seed
can take root. The seed is the Holy Spirit of God that will grow inside you.
It will speak to you like a good father and teach goodness to your soul. The
word is good and truthful, the word is from God you can know that God is in
side you. The Holy Spirit is that same Spirit that entered into Jesus . Jesus
enbraced it and breathed the entire Holy Spirit of God into himself. This
Holy Spirit embodied Jesus and gave him wisdom and power to do great
miricles, even gave him power over death and hell. Jesus said that he was
going to set at the right hand of the Father and while he was leaving,
he would not leave us like orphens. Jesus promised to send his Holy Spirit
back to us to teach us ,to dwell inside us, to give us power. Jesus said
that we would receive the Holy Spirit, so that we could become one with
God. God in us and us in God and that we could become like (one)with him.
This is the Baptisim of the Holy Spirit when we embrace God and breath
in the Holy Spirit of God that was inside Jesus, Who was The Word,of God and the Word was God.
So , if we deny the Word of God the was written so we could Know of God.
It is accounted as sin. To read Gods Word and deny what we read as false.
It is accounted as sin. To deny the Word is to deny Jesus as our Savior.
It is accounted as sin. To deny the Savior is to deny forgiveness for sin.
to deny forgiveness by repentence. It is accounted as sin. This is in fact
denying any hope for salvation which is to reject the Holy Spirit of God.
This means your heart is so hardened that you cannot be reached by
God. So how could he save an unwilling soul. This condition of the heart
that allows someone to reject the only plan of Gods salvation ,that rejects
the Holy Spirit , That rejects the price that Jesus paid on the cross.
This is the only sin that cannot be forgiven which is the total rejection
of God without ever desiring to be forgiven for anything that was accounted
to you as Sin. This is the unforgiveable Sin which was Sin itself incornate.
It was submission to the will of the devil. The surpent in the garden of Eden.
To desire to remain in the will of Satin himself and to deny God as your Lord.
In this condition,you cannot be saved from hell, It is the unforgiveable Sin.
(The total rejection of the indwelling Holy Spirit of God.)

Old 02-05-2008, 05:45 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,089 times
This may just give a different perspective, one with which I hapen to agree.

Snippet: Link: The Unpardonable Sin

The words of Jesus to the Pharisees constitute the most bitter denunciations that ever fell from His holy lips. Jesus never talked that way to sinners, publicans or the common people. Mercy flowed like a river to the poor and needy, but rebuke and scathing condemnation were heaped upon the haughty and unrepentant. The Pharisees, like their ancestors, were not merely sinners, but deliberate and persistent rebels against God. Contemning every word of God sent to them, abusing every privilege granted to them, and despising every blessing bestowed. From the day of their beginning as a nation, before they had time to receive, in its written form, the law which had been orally delivered to them, the children of Israel had violated the first and fundamental command, "You shall have no other gods before Me," and all their subsequent career was in harmony with this beginning.
They sinned, and committed iniquity, they understood not God's wonders nor remembered His mercies, they provoked Him and forgot His works, they waited not for His counsel but lusted exceedingly in the wilderness, and tempted God in the desert; they envied Moses and Aaron; they changed their glory into the similitude of an ox that eats grass; they forgot God their Saviour and despised the pleasant land; they murmured in their tents and hearkened not to the voice of the Lord; they joined themselves to Baal Peor, and ate the sacrifices of the dead; they provoked God to anger with their inventions; they did not destroy, as commanded, the idolatrous nations of Canaan, but were mingled among the heathen and learned their works; they served their idols and sacrificed their sons and daughters unto devils; they shed innocent blood, even the blood of their sons and daughters whom they sacrificed to the idols of Canaan; they were defiled with their own works, and went a whoring with their own inventions, till the wrath of the Lord was kindled against His people, and He abhorred His inheritance. Many times did He deliver them, but they provoked Him with their counsel and were brought low for their iniquity. They persecuted every prophet that was sent to them, and after every deliverance, fell lower than before, into all manner of sin and evil.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:58 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
I agree, that is why I bought into the suicide issue. If you kill yourself you can't very well repent, now can you?
Well, you have to do it in such a way that there is some lag time - so you CAN repent...
- byron

Old 02-08-2008, 04:01 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,122 times

28: Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:

29: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: (King James Version)

Now, THAT sounds familiar, doesn't it? How about:

28: Verily, I say unto you All things shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, the sins and the profanities wherewithal they shall profane;

29: But, whosoever shall revile against the Holy Spirit, hath no forgiveness, unto times age-abiding, but is guilty of an age-abiding sin: (Rotherham)

What??? Who said that?

So,,, could it be that the unforgiveness spoken of will only last for a two distinct time periods — this age and the age to come?

Why is Christiandom so quick to embrace 'unpardonable sin' doctrine based on one passage? Especially when we are taught in many many places to ALWAYS forgive? Does God have lower standards for Himself?

The tragedy here is that through the ages Satan has tormented many a mind with this concept that they may have committed a sin which cannot be repented of/forgiven. If this were were true then John should have said "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world - except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit"

And "Who is the propitiation not only for our sins - except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, but also for the sins of the whole world - except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit".

And "God has laid upon Him the iniquity of us all -
all iniquity except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit that is"

And "By His stripes we are healed - unless we have blasphemed the Holy Spirit"

blessings,
- Byron

PS: The word “aion” is used in the Greek text of the 'hath never forgiveness" passage, but is left out by the King James translators altogether. Was this a simple error, or did they understand that the word “aion” would put a limit on this unforgiveness, which would contradict their belief in never-ending punishment? This verse could/should be translated, “….hath no forgiveness unto times age-abiding” (Young's Literal Translation).

Last edited by firstborn888; 02-08-2008 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-08-2008, 06:07 AM

740 posts, read 2,013,932 times
Well first you have to look at the context of this vs. Mark 3:29 29 but whosoever shall blaspheme against the Holy Spirit hath never forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin: 30 because they said, He hath an unclean spirit. If you read the verses before this vs, you can clearly see that they are talking about Jesus and saying that His powers came from Satan himself. Mark 3:29 Comes in the parable that Jesus told to the scribes and Pharisees (Jesus and the Prince of Demons). So, the unpardonable sin is saying that the power of the Holy Spirit is from satan and truly believing that to be the case.

In the similar verse in Luke, Jesus is still talking to the scribes and the Pharisees (and others) He is saying that what they have said, will say, whispering to each other will be brought out. Which returns us to the statement that I made above that they were saying that Jesus's powers came not from the Holy Spirit, but from satan himself.

blasfhmeÑw from (989)
Transliterated Word Phonetic Spelling
Blasphemeo blas-fay-meh'-o
Parts of Speech TDNT
Verb 1:621,107
Definition
to speak reproachfully, rail at, revile, calumniate, blaspheme
to be evil spoken of, reviled, railed at
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity