Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 01:19 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Miss Blue, I'd be interested to hear your response to Twin's last post about offerings. When you wrote about home churches I thought you were right on. I think I said so on an earlier post. Matter of fact, I liked your post so much that I did a study about how the disciples of the early church met in one another's homes. I was amazed at how many scriptures say that. So thank you for that post. That being said, I think you have some of it wrong when you talk about not needing offerings and paying preachers. Twin.Spin has given you many scriptures refuting your position. What say you? What do you base your position on?
Preachers serve no purpose that requires they be compensated. We need no teachers and no one is any better able to search what God has "written in our hearts" than anyone else. They can share their spiritual understanding . . . as we all should . . . but they should have other occupations that provide for their worldly needs . . . as we all do.
1 John 2:27 (King James Version)

27But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 01:27 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,961,111 times
I'm pretty excited about tonight. I'm going to visit a church that I'm sure I'm going to find great fellowship at. The church is called "Calvary Chapel" and they start at the beggining of the "Bible" and go through the entire Bible, and then start all over!!! There's no doubt I'm going to meet some brothers and sisters there who love the Word of God and love to worship Him! It should be the best fellowship I've had in a looooong time. I've had some bad experiences in the past but hopefully this works out. I've allways liked Calvary Chapels.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:16 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,269,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
I'm pretty excited about tonight. I'm going to visit a church that I'm sure I'm going to find great fellowship at. The church is called "Calvary Chapel" and they start at the beggining of the "Bible" and go through the entire Bible, and then start all over!!! There's no doubt I'm going to meet some brothers and sisters there who love the Word of God and love to worship Him! It should be the best fellowship I've had in a looooong time. I've had some bad experiences in the past but hopefully this works out. I've allways liked Calvary Chapels.
That's Great! Fellowship is a wonderful thing. I hope this works out for you. There is a calvary chapel not far from where I live. I think they are baptists, though I am not sure. They are a small but active group. Let us know how it goes.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
The church is called "Calvary Chapel" and they start at the beginning of the "Bible" and go through the entire Bible, and then start all over!!!
A walk down memory lane from my "Hippie" days in California:

Chuck Smith, Greg Laurie and Skip Heitzig!

Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa, California.
Harvest Christian Fellowship, Riverside, California.
Calvary of Albuquerque, New Mexico

A great bunch of guys, although I do not agree with all their tenets.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:13 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Miss Blue, I'd be interested to hear your response to Twin's last post about offerings. When you wrote about home churches I thought you were right on. I think I said so on an earlier post. Matter of fact, I liked your post so much that I did a study about how the disciples of the early church met in one another's homes. I was amazed at how many scriptures say that. So thank you for that post. That being said, I think you have some of it wrong when you talk about not needing offerings and paying preachers. Twin.Spin has given you many scriptures refuting your position. What say you? What do you base your position on?
Katiemygirl,
When comtemplating that validity of "the early church met in one another's homes" ... you would need to take into consideration why they met in one another's home. And what you would find is the primary reason is the same reason peope do in China.

Now if you really want to be true to the experience of the early church gathering practices, start meeting in secret at cemeteries.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:35 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
How can I put this? Does one have a personal interest in their own spirituality, or do they require reinforcement from others or an intermediary to their chosen deity?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:14 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Today I'm not going because a couple is getting married during the church service. I have not been attending this church for very long, and I don't know them except by sight, so I won't be missed or anything. I am a person who is very much alone in life in that regard, and what with all the usual Valentine's Day crap being thrown at us this week to remind me that everybody else (or so it seems) is loved and I am not, I don't feel like pretending to be happy for these people. Jealousy? Covetousness? Yep! And that's why I don't belong in church today!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Katiemygirl,
When comtemplating that validity of "the early church met in one another's homes" ... you would need to take into consideration why they met in one another's home. And what you would find is the primary reason is the same reason peope do in China.

Now if you really want to be true to the experience of the early church gathering practices, start meeting in secret at cemeteries.
The where is not important. It's when the body of Christ, the obedient believers meet that is key. However you can't discount the fact that the early church met in one another's homes. I understand why they did that. There would be nothing wrong with doing that today.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Today I'm not going because a couple is getting married during the church service. I have not been attending this church for very long, and I don't know them except by sight, so I won't be missed or anything. I am a person who is very much alone in life in that regard, and what with all the usual Valentine's Day crap being thrown at us this week to remind me that everybody else (or so it seems) is loved and I am not, I don't feel like pretending to be happy for these people. Jealousy? Covetousness? Yep! And that's why I don't belong in church today!
A wedding during a church service? Wow! I never heard of that before. Why didn't they do the wedding thing after services so folks like yourself could leave if they wanted? I don't blame you for feeling aas you do.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
It's possible that they have no friends or family to attend it, so they open it up to the members of the church...as their "witnesses".

I don't see a need for a ceremony, personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity