Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 05:35 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,260,403 times

Advertisements

I agree with you TSBOOMERANG. I don't buy into the 10% thing either. In the NT Paul told the Corinthians in 1 Cor 16:1-2 "Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I directed the churches of Galatia, so do you also, On the first day of every week let each one of you put aside and save, AS HE MAY PROSPER, that no collections be made when I come."
I like the idea of a money box placed in the back of the church where people can give what they believe is a just portion. I see nothing in the New Testament that says we need to give 10%.
As for church attendance: Why not begin a group of friends/family where you can follow the pattern of NT worship? That way you can get rid of those things which are not authorized by the NT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 05:38 PM

Jesus came to die for our sins and to establish His Kingdom, the church.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:46 PM

335 posts, read 375,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Jesus came to die for our sins and to establish His Kingdom, the church.
Right.

ekklésia...congregation, assembly

Not a religion or physical building.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:50 PM

TARRAGON YOU SAID," I am a christian, but I do not attend a church. I have seen so many hypocrites that go, that it sours me. Most people think you have to attend to be considered a true christian. Some of the other things that btother me are, pastors who think they have to yell at the top of their lungs while there faces turn red and the sweat drips off from them to get the message across. They have a microphone, why do they need to yell? I am not hard of hearing. I came from an abusive relationshp where my spouse yelled alot plus he attended church 3 times p/week. Also, I've noticed in some churches where the members only give unto one another and not outside the church. My son and his wife are faithful members to a church. He will do anything for the church or anyone in it, but if I needed help, 'forget it'. A couple of times, I have had him do work for me and paid him. Work for his friends at church is free. So, those are only a few reasons why I do not attend. When I do or give to someone, I do it because it comes from my heart and i don't expect anything in return except a smile."

1. There are hypocrites everywhere.
2. I hate yelling and sweating too. I don't believe that's pleasing to God. It causes confusion and God is not the author of confusion.
3. Don't give up. There is a church out there for you. Pray about it. Study your Bible. Read the book of Acts and see how they did it.
4. Please don't judge the entire body of Christ by a few. bad apples.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:59 PM

DRIFTWOOD 2011
You said, " Right. ekklésia...congregation, assembly Not a religion or physical building."

You are correct in saying that church is not a physical building. But it is a body of believers, and that body has been given numerous examples to follow in the NT and that includes ASSEMBLING TOGETHER to sing praises, to pray, to give as we prosper, to share God's word, and to partake of the Lord's Supper. It's all there in the NT. Read it for yourself.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:46 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
I think that everyone needs to do what is right for them. If it is going to church - great. If it is not going to church - that's great, too. Whatever your beliefs - I think you just need to do what works for you in your own life. Whatever you feel makes you a better, happier, more peaceful person - is what you should do. What is right for some is not right for everyone.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:50 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
There are so many good people in our world. They are loving and will give you the shirt off their backs. But thhey either never attend worship services or will go only at Easter. Above all others, the excuse I hear most often for not going is, "I don't have to go to church to worship God. I can do that right in my own home, or in nature." They are correct. We can worship God anywhere, anytime. But worship really isn't the primary reason we go to church.
Hebrews 10:24-25 "and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more, as you see the day drawing near."
This is why we need to go to church: WE NEED TO ASSEMBLE, TO ENCOURAGE ONE ANOTHER, TO STIMULATE ONE ANOTHER TO LOVE AND GOOD DEEDS. We are doing no one any good, including ourselves, when we stay home. We are missing out on opportunities to help others and be helped
We don't really HAVE to go to church to be saved. I agree with basically everything you said. But we need to go? No, we don't actually.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:56 PM

335 posts, read 375,539 times
Quote:
You are correct in saying that church is not a physical building. But it is a body of believers, and that body has been given numerous examples to follow in the NT and that includes ASSEMBLING TOGETHER to sing praises, to pray, to give as we prosper, to share God's word, and to partake of the Lord's Supper. It's all there in the NT. Read it for yourself.
Katiemygirl, please don't address others as if they are not familiar with what is in scripture. ("Read it for yourself")

I would suggest you understand that the 1st century congregation of "like minded" believers were in fact instructed to do the things you say.

Anything resembling that today is only an attempt to mirror that. If that very same "church" existed until this time, then it would be recognizable in the very same ways. Not in man made attempts and claims.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:10 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
There are so many good people in our world. They are loving and will give you the shirt off their backs. But thhey either never attend worship services or will go only at Easter. Above all others, the excuse I hear most often for not going is, "I don't have to go to church to worship God. I can do that right in my own home, or in nature." They are correct. We can worship God anywhere, anytime. But worship really isn't the primary reason we go to church.
Hebrews 10:24-25 "and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more, as you see the day drawing near."
This is why we need to go to church: WE NEED TO ASSEMBLE, TO ENCOURAGE ONE ANOTHER, TO STIMULATE ONE ANOTHER TO LOVE AND GOOD DEEDS. We are doing no one any good, including ourselves, when we stay home. We are missing out on opportunities to help others and be helped
The main reason I go to church (and I probably go about 5 out of every 6 Sundays, on the average) is to receive the Sacrament (aka Communion, Eucharist). For Mormons, it's the way we renew the covenants we made when we were baptized. Personally, I don't find church particularly interesting or enjoyable, but I think that if I were to just stop going, I would probably miss it quite a bit. There is something to be said for the feeling of unity you feel when you are with people who share your beliefs and values. Without that, you tend to feel a bit isolated, I think.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:11 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood2011 View Post
Right.

ekklésia...congregation, assembly

Not a religion or physical building.
But can their be an assembly or congregation if no one shows up? It doesn't seem so to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity