U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:24 PM

2,779 posts, read 2,080,035 times

Advertisements

There are so many good people in our world. They are loving and will give you the shirt off their backs. But thhey either never attend worship services or will go only at Easter. Above all others, the excuse I hear most often for not going is, "I don't have to go to church to worship God. I can do that right in my own home, or in nature." They are correct. We can worship God anywhere, anytime. But worship really isn't the primary reason we go to church.
Hebrews 10:24-25 "and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more, as you see the day drawing near."
This is why we need to go to church: WE NEED TO ASSEMBLE, TO ENCOURAGE ONE ANOTHER, TO STIMULATE ONE ANOTHER TO LOVE AND GOOD DEEDS. We are doing no one any good, including ourselves, when we stay home. We are missing out on opportunities to help others and be helped
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 04:39 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,374,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
There are so many good people in our world. They are loving and will give you the shirt off their backs. But thhey either never attend worship services or will go only at Easter. Above all others, the excuse I hear most often for not going is, "I don't have to go to church to worship God. I can do that right in my own home, or in nature." They are correct. We can worship God anywhere, anytime. But worship really isn't the primary reason we go to church.
Hebrews 10:24-25 "and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more, as you see the day drawing near."
This is why we need to go to church: WE NEED TO ASSEMBLE, TO ENCOURAGE ONE ANOTHER, TO STIMULATE ONE ANOTHER TO LOVE AND GOOD DEEDS. We are doing no one any good, including ourselves, when we stay home. We are missing out on opportunities to help others and be helped
Church is not defined as you state it is. The Church does not have walls, nor does it have regular prescribed ways of worship. We worship in Spirit and Truth. We ARE the Body of Christ,,His Bride.

I personally cannot stand the so called church. It is the religious mindset of the days gone by. They have lost their original meaning, and for that matter their intent. Most are hypocritical in thoughts and deeds, and they have no REAL Shepherd. They have a person who lives off his power over others, and takes 10% of their labors for his.

So, for myself,,,,,I shall pass. But I do gather together with 2 or 3 brothers when we need spiritual edification and uplifting or confessing of our sins. Other than that, we are good. The Word is our Bread and when it is given, we 'break' and share it with others.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:43 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,722,368 times
I go to church, but remember that the modern church is nothing like the assemblies when the bible was written. "Where two or more are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them." So, you can have fellowship and worship without going to a large gathering. Also, the point of gathering together in that verse if to encourage each other and to stimulate one another to love and good deeds. Some churches do this, but many don't. Unfortunately, many just want to see their membership numbers increase, and many are not really looking for ways to do good deeds other than inside their own four walls.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:53 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,559,868 times
Worship is exactly why I went to church - but unfortunately that's a small part of assembling. I can't speak for all, but the programs, schedules, etc. would quench the Spirit (literally stopping the flow of prayer and worship so that the "show" could go on) really grieved me.

It's through worship (more so than preaching) that draws us near to Him. Preaching has its place, but it's like talking about someone rather than actually meeting and loving them.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 PM

2,779 posts, read 2,080,035 times
HOTINAZ
"The Church does not have walls, nor does it have regular prescribed ways of worship."
You are correct. The church has no walls. It is the christians that make the church, not the building. However, the NT does have a prescribed way to worship: Sing praises, preach the word, pray, give, and most importantly partake of the Lord's Table.

"I do gather together with 2 or 3 brothers when we need spiritual edification and uplifting or confessing of our sins."
This is a good thing. Where two or three are gathered......

Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,189,852 times
I've been to church around 5 times in the last 3 years. Each time, it confirms why I left to begin with and why I do not attend regularly. It seems orchestrated and fake. People act different inside than they do outside. Oh, and the 10% tithe thing bothers me badly. I have NO problems at all with a church "asking" for offerings, preferrably by mentioning where a drop box with donations is located in the church. But churches that perpetuate the lie that a person is stealing from God by not giving 10% of their money strike me as dishonest and purposely deceitful.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:04 PM

335 posts, read 314,712 times
Jesus didn't come to start a religion. He came to sacrifice his life, to establish the New Covenant, and to recommend his example as a way of life. (Christ-like)

Religion is from Man.

Standards for approved worship are from God.

Last edited by Driftwood2011; 02-07-2011 at 05:25 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 05:12 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,590,161 times
I am a christian, but I do not attend a church. I have seen so many hypocrites that go, that it sours me. Most people think you have to attend to be considered a true christian. Some of the other things that bother me are, pastors who think they have to yell at the top of their lungs while there faces turn red and the sweat drips off from them to get the message across. They have a microphone, why do they need to yell? I am not hard of hearing. I came from an abusive relationshp where my spouse yelled alot plus he attended church 3 times p/week. Also, I've noticed in some churches where the members only give unto one another and not outside the church. My son and his wife are faithful members to a church. He will do anything for the church or anyone in it, but if I needed help, 'forget it'. A couple of times, I have had him do work for me and paid him. Work for his friends at church is free. So, those are only a few reasons why I do not attend. When I do or give to someone, I do it because it comes from my heart and i don't expect anything in return except a smile.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:15 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,298,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
There's no need to attend. I don't even like being around other people.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:32 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,590,161 times
I think for some people it's more of a social gathering that they enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or