Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:35 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,759,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.

How christians get from this, that the bible is God, is beyond me.

The dogmatic view of the scriptures in my opinion as done far more damage than good.
What is so funny is the FACT that the scriptures themselves do not in any way ever refer to themselves as being the word of God.

You will not find one verse in the bible that makes reference to the scriptures(graphe) as the "word(rhema) of God".

It is Christ who is the word (logos), who is the spoken living word(rhema) of God.

Nowhere is "graphe" said to be "rhema" or "logos" ...

It is all the traditions of men, which we know seek to disannul the true word(logos) of God.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:36 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,269,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.

How christians get from this, that the bible is God, is beyond me.

The dogmatic view of the scriptures in my opinion as done far more damage than good.
Pcamps, I have just finished rereading all of your posts in this thread and I'm at a loss. You say you believe all scripture is inspired by God but yet you don't think you need the Bible. I'm sincerely trying to understand your position but I guess I'm just not getting it. I don't doubt your sincerity here but I just don't understand where you are coming from. Many irrefutable scripures that show you can't separate God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit from the word, yet you continue to do so. Can you help me understand?

Old 02-12-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Pcamps, I have just finished rereading all of your posts in this thread and I'm at a loss. You say you believe all scripture is inspired by God but yet you don't think you need the Bible. I'm sincerely trying to understand your position but I guess I'm just not getting it. I don't doubt your sincerity here but I just don't understand where you are coming from. Many irrefutable scripures that show you can't separate God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit from the word, yet you continue to do so. Can you help me understand?
What do you mean that God cant be separated from the word? When you say "the word" do you mean the bible? If so then thats ridiculous ...

Are you saying God did not exist until the bible was penned and canonized?

What did the earliest Christians do who did not have a handy dandy leather bound collection of all the letters in the new and old testament sitting on their coffee tables at home?

What did the Christians do during the dark ages when the scriptures were outlawed and only accessible to the initiated clergy of the Roman Catholic Church?

Think about what you are saying ... If every copy of the bible on earth was burned, do you think that would limit God in any way?

Would that change what God has done in Christ for all creation?

Would that change what he has done for you?

Old 02-12-2011, 03:47 PM

The bible is just a book, a very good book, and a very important book as well as a dangerous book, in the wrong hands. In fact i believe the bible is the most important book ever composed, and i think that is evident in the fact that it is the greatest selling book of all time ...

But it is just a book ...

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 02-12-2011 at 03:55 PM..

Old 02-12-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
What do you mean that God cant be separated from the word? When you say "the word" do you mean the bible? If so then thats ridiculous ...

What did the earliest Christians do who did not have a handy dandy leather bound collection of all the letters in the new testament or even the books of the old testament sitting on their coffee tables?

What did the Christians do during the dark ages when the scriptures were outlawed and only accessible to the initiated clergy of the Roman Catholic Church?

Think about what you are saying ... If every copy of the bible on earth was burned, do you think that would limit God in any way?

Would that change what god has done in Christ for all creation?

I am saying you cannot separate God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit from the word. They all existed from the beginning. Jobn 1:1 has already been quoted many times in this thread.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:53 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Quote:

What did the earliest Christians do who did not have a handy dandy leather bound collection of all the letters in the new and old testament sitting on their coffee tables at home?

Would that change what God has done in Christ for all creation?

That's right Ironmaw....it is just a book and, in that book, it says this:

2 Corinthians 3:3
You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

The Word is written in our hearts, no man can destroy that.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I am saying you cannot separate God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit from the word. They all existed from the beginning. Jobn 1:1 has already been quoted many times in this thread.
The bible has not existed for ever, and no where in the bible does it say that the bible has existed forever.

When John writes, "in the beginning was the word, and the word was God ...", he is not making reference to the scriptures.

He is making reference to Jesus, cant you understand that?

He is not talking about the scriptures of the bible ...

Old 02-12-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
The bible has not existed for ever, and no where in the bible does it say that the bible has existed forever.

When John writes, "in the beginning was the word, and the word was God ...", he is not making reference to the scriptures.

He is making reference to Jesus, cant you understand that?

He is not talking about the scriptures of the bible ...
YOU CANNOT BE SAVED WITHOUT THE WORD OF GOD.
1 Peter 1:23 Being BORN AGAIN, not of corruptible seed, but incorruptible, BY THE WORD OF GOD, which liveth and abideth forever."
Do you not understand that you cannot be born again, or saved, unless it's by the Word of God? The Bible is not just a book. It is alive because Jesus is alive. The scripture very clearly states that the Word of God is alive and abides forever. FOREVER means it always was and always will be. The Bible is the seed which when planted in our heart will grow by the power of the Holy Spirit. Whether the seed lives or dies is your choice. The seed is the gospel of Jesus. If you believe in Him, the seed will grow. You will have been born again. You cannot be saved without the Word of God, for it is the very seed which brings new life into your heart. If you refuse to accept the Bible as God's Word, then there is nothing left for me to say because we are not on the same wave lengths.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
1 Peter 1:23 Being BORN AGAIN, not of corruptible seed, but incorruptible, BY THE WORD OF GOD, which liveth and abideth forever."
Do you not understand that you cannot be born again, or saved, unless it's by the Word of God? The Bible is not just a book. It is alive because Jesus is alive. The scripture very clearly states that the Word of God is alive and abides forever. FOREVER means it always was and always will be. The Bible is the seed which when planted in our heart will grow by the power of the Holy Spirit. Whether the seed lives or dies is your choice. The seed is the gospel of Jesus. If you believe in Him, the seed will grow. You will have been born again. You cannot be saved without the Word of God, for it is the very seed which brings new life into your heart. If you refuse to accept the Bible as God's Word, then there is nothing left for me to say because we are not on the same wave lengths.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:53 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
And that means JESUS CHRIST . . . who is the Word of God. You would condemn all those who didn't have your precious Bible because it didn't exist?
Quote:
Only Jesus Christ liveth and abideth forever . . . words "written in ink" never were alive and could never do so.
Quote:
If you refuse to accept the Bible as God's Word, then there is nothing left for me to say because we are not on the same wave lengths.
If you refuse to accept that it isJesus Christ who is alive and abides with us even today and prefer your Bible to Him and His Holy Spirit within guiding us to what God has "written in our hearts" . . . you are definitely on the wrong wavelength. You are on the Biblean wavelength and I am on the Christian wavelength.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity