U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 08:56 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,463,452 times

Advertisements

June is truly curious, given all the various debating that she reads on this forum, as to what would happen if June suddenly decided that she wanted to pursue Christianity. The difficulty that she perceives is that there would be no viable way for her to even begin to understand what Christianity is really all about, let alone what she should or should not think, based on the vast differences that one perceives here. June asks this question with sincerity, as well as respect to all denominations and religious beliefs among the Christian community, so no insincerity should be assumed.

She is therefore going out on a limb here and inviting all of you to tell a nonbeliever: What, exactly would be the reason why someone would want to become a Christian, and what do you base it on? June, being "just June" is interested in as many different answers/responses as she can derive, so all are welcome (if they feel so inclined) to repond.

--For which June thanks you all in advance.

Take gentle care.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:02 PM

8,830 posts, read 9,764,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
She is therefore going out on a limb here and inviting all of you to tell a nonbeliever: What, exactly would be the reason why someone would want to become a Christian, and what do you base it on? June, being "just June" is interested in as many different answers/responses as she can derive, so all are welcome (if they feel so inclined) to repond.

Take gentle care.
Well June, you know I have my struggles but there's one constant that ties us all together, whether some like it or not. And that is Jesus Christ. I know it's hard to weed through all of the nonsense and debating but if you could just focus on Jesus and his teachings (a red letter Bible would be great) then the rest will fall into place. It's Jesus that is the reason one would/should want to become a Christian, and for no other purpose. He's worth following and worshiping, that I can swear to. And you know me well enough to know I wouldn't lie to you.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 PM

21,430 posts, read 29,590,927 times
Why.........one of many reasons is inner peace that you can only get through Jesus. And you cannot understand what Christianty means reading this forum, this can only come from the Holy Spirit.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:33 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,287,463 times
Quote:
edit
That may well be your firm belief (obviously), and for YOU perhaps it is true. The concept of gods and holy spirits and either punishment or eternal boredom for eternity is very disturbing, and this is my firm belief.

You are making the assumption that an Atheist is not at peace, when in fact I contend that an atheist is more at peace with themselves, their lives and rational that we all die than you can even imagine. Perhaps it is the Atheist that walks through this world without the crutches of religion, but walks free of these aids. If you cannot make the journey without the crutches, then by all means use them, but don't make the incorrect assumption that everyone needs them; we don't.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-09-2011 at 07:15 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 PM

11,825 posts, read 9,835,683 times
I'll start with what it's based on:

The Apostle Paul "From morning till evening he explained and declared to them the kingdom of God and tried to convince them about Jesus" Act 28:23-25.

Paul's only source was based on the written word.. "from the Law of Moses and from the Prophets" Act 28:23-25

And still.. "Some were convinced by what he said, but others would not believe." Acts 28:24

So then why are some convinced while others "would not"....
because some "hear" the written word, others do not.

Why be a Christian ... because it's not logical choice, it's really not fair, but a "gift of God." Romans 6:23

Why be a Christian... "to have is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23

Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 PM

2,981 posts, read 4,314,780 times
Quote:

Take gentle care.
You just want a religion" Why Christianity?
If you want salvation, then Jesus is the only Way, Truth, and Life, and you can't come to Him by your choice, but by His call, which is personal, internal, and convicting; of sin, righteousness, and judgment. You either respond to His call, personally, or you reject it. His call is compelling, and you'll know it when you have it.

Has He called you to come to Him? -If not, then choose anything you want for this life that makes you "happy", "proud", or "feel good", one is as good as another, and why Christianity, if He has not called you?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 PM

4,610 posts, read 3,969,721 times
OK June, if I were a Christian here is how I would convert you:

Step 1: Get you to believe there is a god. There must be a devine force to operate this amazing world.

Step 2: Get you to believe that humans are special and god wants you to be happy.

Step 3: Tell you that god saw humans living in agony and sent his son to help us, but some bad people killed his son.

Step 4: Tell you his son's spirit still loves all humans.

If we get that far, then I think the rest would be easy.

Of course, along the way we could sing a couple beautiful hymns together and you would be hooked.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:09 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,286,267 times
I do think it might vary some on denomination, but Christ is the core issue. The idea that God has been "one of us" and knows what it is like to suffer, to be insulted, and even to die. And the core of Jesus's teachings is traditionally said to be love of God (Who has all Truth and is greater than Nature or Ourselves) and love of other people. That trying to be a humble and loving person isn't just "nice" or "a theory on how to do good" but actually is good/right in a real objective way.

Most other religions either do not have God really experience the human or tend to have God experience it in a more regal setting. Christianity ideally values the small, the weak, and the people who maybe aren't in the trendiest of places. Or they are not directly claiming to be from God at all so are not claiming to be "True" in the same way.

I guess Chesterton's "Orthodoxy" and Lewis's "Mere Christianity" gets to some of the more specific, without being denominational (I don't think as Chesterton wasn't yet a Catholic when he wrote "Orthodoxy"), stuff.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:07 AM

1,839 posts, read 1,716,544 times
Quote:
June ... is therefore going out on a limb here and inviting all of you to tell a nonbeliever: What, exactly would be the reason why someone would want to become a Christian, and what do you base it on? June, being "just June" is interested in as many different answers/responses as she can derive, so all are welcome (if they feel so inclined) to repond. --For which June thanks you all in advance. Take gentle care.
June, if you're going to do this... then you just might want to go all the way and become a Divine Love Christian. This is such an easy way to learn about and love God. You don't need to attend church or pay a tithe. Just let your heart and soul go out to God, who is our Heavenly Father, and ask Him to pour His Divine Love into your soul. With continual prayer and faith, God's Holy Spirit will fill your soul to the brim with the most awesome love that you could ever imagine. And in time, you will establish a rapport and closeness with our Father, and you will be assured of immortality and, further, you will become a Divine Angel in the Celestial Heavens. And if you're ambitious with your prayers and soul longings, you can become a Divine Angel on earth and make it happen now!

This is from Jesus' teachings... it is how he became divine while he was on earth and at-one with God. Jesus is the Master of the Celestial Heavens and a teacher of God's truths. As he said, "Narrow is the Way and strait is the gate which leads to Life Everlasting, and few there be that enter therein."

Prayer is the "gate" and "God's Divine Love" is the way. I'm going to one of the "few there be that enter therein." What about you? Blessings.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:15 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,576,792 times
Quote:
June is truly curious, given all the various debating that she reads on this forum, as to what would happen if June suddenly decided that she wanted to pursue Christianity. The difficulty that she perceives is that there would be no viable way for her to even begin to understand what Christianity is really all about, let alone what she should or should not think, based on the vast differences that one perceives here. June asks this question with sincerity, as well as respect to all denominations and religious beliefs among the Christian community, so no insincerity should be assumed.

Take gentle care.
If June were suddenly in touch with the divine in a way you never perceived before then it wouldn't matter. June would be in her room in a blissful state and wouldn't care what anyone thought or said about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or