Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:10 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,462,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWordIsOne View Post
Yes a faithful sinner, remember the republican

I don't have to remember the Republican. All I have to do is look in the mirror.

If we're honest about it, that's all any of us have to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 12:09 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,980,955 times
Concerning righteousness, I've always appreciated the book of James when it comes to measuring righteousness:

James 2 GWT

Old 02-11-2011, 01:16 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,593,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
i would suspect that a rightous person,dosent even know or think that they are rightouss,that they are humble and would never even speak of their own rightoussness,
That's because righteousness is impersonal. It is an ideal - not a person. So, we can know and recognize what righteousness is (working no ill toward others - only goodwill) while acknowledging that we all fall short.

A preoccupation with whether one's self is righteous is a function of the ego where as a preoccupation with whether righteousness is being administered to others regardless of self would be "real" righteousness.

Make sense?

Old 02-11-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
That's because righteousness is impersonal. It is an ideal - not a person. So, we can know and recognize what righteousness is (working no ill toward others - only goodwill) while acknowledging that we all fall short.

A preoccupation with whether one's self is righteous is a function of the ego where as a preoccupation with whether righteousness is being administered to others regardless of self would be "real" righteousness.

Make sense?
It makes sense to me.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
It makes sense to me.
As I knew it would because of your link.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:15 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,338,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
............what is the difference between rightoussness and self rightoussness,in your own honest opinion.

i would suspect that a rightous person,dosent even know or think that they are rightouss,that they are humble and would never even speak of their own rightoussness,that they would be glowing with life and love and it would be natural to them,where as a self rightous person will always look for the glory and are maybe a little if not a lot arrogant toards those who they think are less rightous.thats what i think,i could be way off here im not too sure.
Aisi:

righteous: a person whom God says is righteous.
self-righteous: a person whom he himself says is righteous.

I believe this was the basic conflict in the book of Job.

Blessings!
brian

Old 02-11-2011, 04:07 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,659,947 times
Quote:
"what is the difference between rightoussness and self rightoussness,in your own honest opinion."

1. Righteousness....... is one who sees their need in Christ trusting Him for their righteousness (salvation)....

~Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Matt.5:3)

~A wise man fears and departs from evil, But a fool rages and is self-confident. (Proverbs 14:16)

2. Self-Righteousness........ is one who trust's only himself and in how he will obtain his salvation rather then Christ Jesus righteousness (salvation) !!

~These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh. (Colossians 2:23)

~ For our proud confidence is this: the testimony of our conscience, that in holiness and godly sincerity, not in fleshly wisdom but in the grace of God, we have conducted ourselves in the world, and especially toward you. For we write nothing else to you than what you read and understand, and I hope you will understand until the end; just as you also partially did understand us, that we are your reason to be proud as you also are ours, in the day of our Lord Jesus.
(II Corinthians 1:12-14)

Though, as a sinner, the apostle could only rejoice and glory in Christ Jesus, yet, as a believer, he might rejoice and glory in being really what he professed. Conscience witnesses concerning the steady course and tenor of the life. Thereby we may judge ourselves, and not by this or by that single act. Our conversation will be well ordered, when we live and act under such a gracious principle in the heart. Having this, we may leave our characters in the Lord's hands, but using proper means to clear them, when the credit of the gospel, or our usefulness, calls for it.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Though, as a sinner, the apostle could only rejoice and glory in Christ Jesus, yet, as a believer, he might rejoice and glory in being really what he professed. Conscience witnesses concerning the steady course and tenor of the life. Thereby we may judge ourselves, and not by this or by that single act. Our conversation will be well ordered, when we live and act under such a gracious principle in the heart. Having this, we may leave our characters in the Lord's hands, but using proper means to clear them, when the credit of the gospel, or our usefulness, calls for it.
That is, from: Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

Old 02-11-2011, 08:33 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,659,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Of course it is..... so what's your point ???

Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Of course it is..... so what's your point ???
I think his point was that you should give a source and link when quoting someone else verbatim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity