Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 07:19 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
peace to you and again, I'm really sorry to hear about your friend.
sparrow
Thanks very much for your condolences, Sparrow. My friend was a very good person and very religious and I'm sure you would have liked him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 07:35 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You quoted it yourself: "God knit you together in your Mother's womb". And the Bible also says God does everything for a reason. God knits everyone together in their mothers womb, and some people are knit together with illness. He is the knitter, so it is Him who creates them with illness, and it is for a reason. Just like you said, and you are very right: the illeness was one of those things which made your son unique. Without it, he would have been someone else.

The Bible wasn't designed for one person, but for everyone, and it says trust God, and you said the Spirit told you to trust God, and the same advice is all over the Bible. It is a core teaching, not a new "never heard before" revelation.
Finn, maybe I'm not explaining myself well, or maybe you would have to have a child born with a fatal illness to understand the hopes and dreams that can't be realized, and the fantasy of what it would have been like if they had JUST NOT been born with the disease. The Holy Spirit had to make me realize that a) I could have known my son with the disease, or b) I could have known someone else. This is not explained in the verses we mentioned.

The Bible cannot tell us that when we face two choices, that neither one is wrong, because that's not always true. The Holy Spirit had to tell me that. I agree that the Bible wasn't designed for one person, and that is exactly why we have to be guided into all truth by the Holy Spirit.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:21 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Simple question ......Are the unsearchable riches of Christ known within the pages of the bible ? .
Does "all mean all" ?
John 14:26
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

God praises the Bereans for searching the written scriptures...not their inner feelings. And the apostles correctly identify that their writings are not their own words but from God himself.

God says to "test the spirits" ... test them based on what, inner feelings? What if you have an over active imagination or digestion?

If you have a problem with people using scripture today as the only source of God's word, you would have had a problem with the Bereans, or with the OT prophets, or with Moses....... come to think about it Adam & Eve had a problem with God's word.

Oh yes ... "Did God really say" ......"do not go beyond what is written" ?

Last edited by twin.spin; 02-13-2011 at 10:35 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 10:57 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Does "all mean all" ?
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

God praises the Bereans for searching the written scriptures...not their inner feelings. And the apostles correctly identify that their writings are not their own words but from God himself.

God says to "test the spirits" ... test them based on what, inner feelings? What if you have an over active imagination or digestion?

If you have a problem with people using scripture today as the only source of God's word, you would have had a problem with the Bereans, or with the OT prophets, or with Moses....... come to think about it Adam & Eve had a problem with God's word.

I see you along with others have jumped on the band wagon of falsely accusing me of belittling the word, when i have clearly stated i believe they are inspired. I have said the bible is not God himself. You along with others refuse to see that God gave us His Son, not the Bible(capital B just for you Mike555), that God was in Christ not the Bible reconciling the world to Himself, that Christ in us means absolutely nothing to you, because you are so dead set that the Bible is God why do you need Christ in you(i dare you to embarrass yourself with your lack of knowledge of Christ in you, which is apparent due to your lack of acknowledgement of the importance of Christ in us), that Jesus and the Apostles all said it was believing on Him , not the Bible that was the way of salvation, and yet you will still fight these simple truth's to the grave, in defence of your handed down customs and traditions. Can you please at least stop with the false accusations, that i'm disregarding the scriptures simply because i do not that the Bible is God

Old 02-13-2011, 11:06 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
To dismiss the Bible is to dismiss God.
ABSOLUTELY, Mike !!
Quote:

Jesus came to set things straight.
HE SURE DID....

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.(John 14:6)

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God." (John 3:3)

"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. (John 3:5-6)

"For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God; for He gives the Spirit without measure. "The Father loves the Son and has given all things into His hand. "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." (John 3:34-36)

Quote:
Does "all mean all" ?

AMEN.... twin.spin !!
Yes, most definitely.... "do not go beyond what is written."
One who does is putting themselves at the level or above God !!
We all know Satan tried that and look where it led him.....

So remember......

But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves. Many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of the truth will be maligned; and in their greed they will exploit you with false words; their judgment from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep. (II Peter 2:1-3)

Old 02-14-2011, 04:26 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,270,754 times
[quote=pcamps;17855789]You said "What is your point here ?", this speaks volumes Katie.

I think it's below the belt that you are accusing me of putting down the scriptures, when you cannot back up your claim Katie. To say the bible is not God is not putting down the scriptures no matter how much you may think it is.Why don't you go one further and say i'm not a christian .

Do you deny that Christ is in us ?,do you not see that if the rock that was Christ in the wilderness brought water to the need of the children of Israel, how much more now that same rock that is Christ dwells in us will meet our spiritual need ?.

I would love to hear what you have to say about Christ in us and your scriptual support to back up your view on the purpose of Christ dwelling in us[/QU

Christians are in Christ. They are clothed with Christ, but we still need to follow God's Word which you will find contained in the Bible. God , Jesus, or the Holy Spirit do not speak to us personally today. We have their words recorded in the Bible, which you refuse to accept as the final authority.

Pcamps I am sure you are sincere in your beliefs. Each of us has to givee an account in the end and we must each choose the path we take. I really don't think there's anything left to say to you about the topic of picking and choosing which scriptures to accept and which to reject. So I will move on and leave you to believe what you will. I wish you the best.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Amen, brother.

It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

You are taking this scripture out of context. When the inspired apostle writes of freedom, he is speaking about freedom from the old law. It is the same with "yoke of slavery." The mosaic law is what is being referenced.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Does "all mean all" ?

Very well written post Twin. Thank you.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber munchkin View Post
absolutely, mike !!

he sure did....

Jesus said to him, "i am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the father but through me.(john 14:6)

"for god so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life. (john 3:16)

"truly, truly, i say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of god." (john 3:3)

"truly, truly, i say to you, unless one is born of water and the spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of god. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the spirit is spirit. (john 3:5-6)

"for he whom god has sent speaks the words of god; for he gives the spirit without measure. "the father loves the son and has given all things into his hand. "he who believes in the son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the son will not see life, but the wrath of god abides on him." (john 3:34-36)

amen.... Twin.spin !!
Yes, most definitely.... "do not go beyond what is written."
one who does is putting themselves at the level or above god !!
We all know satan tried that and look where it led him.....

So remember......

But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves. Many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of the truth will be maligned; and in their greed they will exploit you with false words; their judgment from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep. (ii peter 2:1-3)
amen!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:58 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Finn, maybe I'm not explaining myself well, or maybe you would have to have a child born with a fatal illness to understand the hopes and dreams that can't be realized, and the fantasy of what it would have been like if they had JUST NOT been born with the disease. The Holy Spirit had to make me realize that a) I could have known my son with the disease, or b) I could have known someone else. This is not explained in the verses we mentioned.

The Bible cannot tell us that when we face two choices, that neither one is wrong, because that's not always true. The Holy Spirit had to tell me that. I agree that the Bible wasn't designed for one person, and that is exactly why we have to be guided into all truth by the Holy Spirit.
Again, the Bible wasn't written just for you with every life scanario spelled out, but the teachings in the Bible can be applied to every scenario you have offered. None of your examples revealed anything new abotut God or salvation to you. Does the Spirit talk to us? Yes, but it won't reveal anything new to us about God that is not already revealed in the Bible. Like you said the Spirit helps us apply the teachings of the Bible in our unique life situations (John 14:26).

Maybe this will claryfy what I am trying to say: If you shoot the Bible into outer space and it lands on a planet inhabited by human colony who have never heard of God, the Bible will provide them with all the knowledge about God and salvation they need in order to come to Christ. All they need to do is read it, accept it, trust it and obey the words in it.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 02-14-2011 at 06:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity