Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 05:18 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post

God , Jesus, or the Holy Spirit do not speak to us personally today. We have their words recorded in the Bible, which you refuse to accept as the final authority.
Now i understand why you are saying what you are saying.So Christ is dormant in us ?

Katie what i have underlined is another false accusation from you, can you quote me saying this please ?

I know it riles a christian when they hear the bible is not God, this does not give you or anyone else the right to falsely accuse me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 05:24 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.(John 14:6)

Amen Jesus said I AM, not the bible

Last edited by pcamps; 02-14-2011 at 06:31 AM..

Old 02-14-2011, 06:19 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I know it riles a christian when they hear the bible is not God
You need to stop pretending that someone is arguing that Bible is God. Seriously.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
I think we're arguing over an ant hill, and not a mountain.

See if this is in the bible - it happened yesterday:

I was washing my truck in the driveway, and a thought came to me; I own stock in the company that makes the brand I drive, and as I was polishing it up I considered how a nice looking truck could boost the stock price if customers were drawn to buying the brand because of the look.

Then You-Know-Who showed me a simple, yet profound element that applies that very precept to the Kingdom. He said, "I'm polishing you up as well, so that others will be drawn to Me."

In the bible? Yes.

Verbatim? No

That's what we're trying to say: God speaks to people - He's not mute, nor is He dead. What He speaks is agreeing with prior fundamental applications we see in scripture, but He can apply it to our lives in varying - seemingly endless - ways. We're individuals who respond to things differently (and He knows that very well), but the central truth that He draws us to does not change.

Capeesh?

Old 02-14-2011, 08:32 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
That's what we're trying to say: God speaks to people - He's not mute, nor is He dead. What He speaks is agreeing with prior fundamental applications we see in scripture, but He can apply it to our lives in varying - seemingly endless - ways. We're individuals who respond to things differently (and He knows that very well), but the central truth that He draws us to does not change.

Capeesh?
*clapping*
You hit the nail square on the head, little elmer.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:24 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:
I think we're arguing over an ant hill, and not a mountain.

See if this is in the bible - it happened yesterday:

I was washing my truck in the driveway, and a thought came to me; I own stock in the company that makes the brand I drive, and as I was polishing it up I considered how a nice looking truck could boost the stock price if customers were drawn to buying the brand because of the look.

Then You-Know-Who showed me a simple, yet profound element that applies that very precept to the Kingdom. He said, "I'm polishing you up as well, so that others will be drawn to Me."

In the bible? Yes.

Verbatim? No

Capeesh?
Really God tells you that ...I thought it was written that
"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8

Now if Jesus is the same forever, how can God tell you one thing because everytime I wash and polish my car(s), I get "told" something very different.

If I had to guess it's more of:
"What He speaks is agreeing with prior fundamental applications we see in scripture, but WE (not He) can apply it to our lives in varying - seemingly endless - ways."

Old 02-14-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Really God tells you that ...I thought it was written that
"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8

Now if Jesus is the same forever, how can God tell you one thing because everytime I wash and polish my car(s), I get "told" something very different.

If I had to guess it's more of:
"What He speaks is agreeing with prior fundamental applications we see in scripture, but WE (not He) can apply it to our lives in varying - seemingly endless - ways."
What part of my post led you to believe He changes? He reminded me He's changing me, and encouragement is one of the precious things the Holy Spirit gives me.

Not confined to scripture, but supporting scripture if you will. I reiterate - scripture serves Him in instructing us, but we're esteeming the written over the living, imo.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:38 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:
What part of my post led you to believe He changes? He reminded me He's changing me, and encouragement is one of the precious things the Holy Spirit gives me.

Not confined to scripture, but supporting scripture if you will. I reiterate - scripture serves Him in instructing us, but we're esteeming the written over the living, imo.
What led me to that is that notion that when something pops into mind from scripture, to conclude that must be God speaking is not so. Because if were truly God speaking, he wouldn't tell each of us something completely different when we did the same activity.

As I said previously, a postion like that does nothing to prevent an over active imaganiation and or indegestion.

The greater danger is that if people are not firmly grounded in the written word, it makes only but a breeding ground of victims that the infamous celebrities around the world like the wacko from Waco look for.

So again I would encourage everyybody to heed to God's advice:
" do not go beyond what is written"

Old 02-14-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
What led me to that is that notion that when something pops into mind from scripture, to conclude that must be God speaking is not so. Because if were truly God speaking, he wouldn't tell each of us something completely different when we did the same activity.
Disagree to a point, because what might be the language of one (style, slang, point of reference) may be different than another. He speaks to the prince one way, the pauper another so that each can understand. Note the customs in scripture, for example.

Quote:
As I said previously, a postion like that does nothing to prevent an over active imaganiation and or indegestion.

The greater danger is that if people are not firmly grounded in the written word, it makes only but a breeding ground of victims that the infamous celebrities around the world like the wacko from Waco look for.
If people are firmly grounded in Him, our thoughts are used by God to speak to us. The mind shapes our view not only of our world, but God Himself. Scripture gives earthly descriptions of the spiritual, and most are limited to the earthly - that's why we must be led by the Spirit out of the carnal realm. The natural cannot conceive the spiritual.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:13 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
Why do some oppose statements like "many paths lead to God" ?... because that is:
" go[ing] beyond what is written.” 1 Corinthians 4:6
Many paths do lead to God, your path is different from mine and we are both going to the same place.

Quote:
Why do so many oppose the teachings of hell...because they're:
Most oppose eternal damnation which is only one definition of the word hell, many embrace the judgments of God which then what he has determined is the truth.

Quote:
Why do so many oppose statements that say in effect "salvation is offered beyond death"...? because that is:
God promises to save all mankind, that is written.

Quote:
Want to know who is going to be saved....then:
“Do not go beyond what is written.” 1 Corinthians 4:6
Certainly, there is no reason to Go beyond what is written to know, God promises to save all mankind as it is written.

If
Quote:
your hearing a different\new idea and doubt if it's true or a lie .... ask yourself, ..... Is it:
"go[ing] beyond what is written.” 1 Corinthians 4:6
Indeed , it is not written that "not all are saved".

Quote:

Is 1 Tim 2:4 written to usurp all other passages like John 3:36

Absolutely not, it is a balance between what God has promised and what men can get themselves into.

But God promises to never forsake or leave us. Some of us just take longer getting there.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity