Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:29 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
That explains a lot.
So ILNC you haven't a single scripture that tells us all we need to know is in the bible, i prove to you by scripture that it simply is not true, and you say to me "that explains a lot .

Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ. Eph 3:8

Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.John 21:25
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 08:33 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Is there something you feel God left out?
Yea the unsearchable riches of Christ

Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,111,753 times
The bible does not tell us everything we need to know.
It doesn't even tell us that 1 + 1 = 2.

It points us in the right direction to the Source of all we need to know, which is God through the Holy Spirit.

If we trust and believe in Him, he will "guide us unto all truth." But, unfortunately, when you never "go beyond what is written" you can't get to the point of being guided into all truth by the Holy Spirit.

Scripture: John 16:12-15 12 "I have yet many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14 He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. 15 All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:38 PM

624 posts, read 1,071,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

We know this to be the truth because we
“Do not go beyond what is written.” 1 Corinthians 4:6
What does this mean?

Do not go beyond what is written WHERE?
1 Corinthians was written before the Canon of the New Testament was established, right? And, most likely before the Gospels were written down (though they were known through oral tradition)

So which writing are we talking about?

Are we not supposed to go beyond the established Scripture at that time, which is basically the Old Testament?

Ironically, taking literally this verse would mean that you should ignore most of the New Testament.

Secondly, Paul does not say anything about hell in 1 or 2nd Corinthians. And actually I'd have to search to see whether he even mentions hell in his epistles (perhaps he does, I just need to check it out)

Old 02-12-2011, 09:01 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
The things of Christ are unfolding still - we're living epistles, huh? That means the "book" of Acts is still being written.

All the world could not contain the books of His works - God is book? No, He is spirit - search the scripture thinking you find life? Nope...

I'm rambling...

Go to a restaurant and look at the menu - what good are the pictures? That menu won't feed you, neither will that "roadmap" you call the bible. Study the written word, but you must have the spirit to feed you. Except you eat of His flesh, drink of His blood... taste and see that the Lord is good!

So many limit the Holy One to what the natural mind comprehends from scripture, but He consumes all of life through the spirit realm - we need to enlarge our borders. (The scribes and pharisees were all about the written word, but He rebuked them for not knowing the spirit that was in front of them.)

Old 02-12-2011, 09:10 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,111,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The things of Christ are unfolding still - we're living epistles, huh? That means the "book" of Acts is still being written.

All the world could not contain the books of His works - God is book? No, He is spirit - search the scripture thinking you find life? Nope...

I'm rambling...

Go to a restaurant and look at the menu - what good are the pictures? That menu won't feed you, neither will that "roadmap" you call the bible. Study the written word, but you must have the spirit to feed you. Except you eat of His flesh, drink of His blood... taste and see that the Lord is good!

So many limit the Holy One to what the natural mind comprehends from scripture, but He consumes all of life through the spirit realm - we need to enlarge our borders. (The scribes and pharisees were all about the written word, but He rebuked them for not knowing the spirit that was in front of them.)

Old 02-12-2011, 09:29 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Quote:

I'm rambling...

Amen Little Elmer, everyone needs to read this, I mean really read it.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:02 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
What to know what makes something controversial? It's when one person believes this and the other doesn't:
Why do some oppose statements like "many paths lead to God" ?... because that is:
" go[ing] beyond what is written.” 1 Corinthians 4:6
Why do so many oppose the teachings of hell...because they're:
Why do so many oppose statements that say in effect "salvation is offered beyond death"...? because that is:
Want to know who is going to be saved....then:
If your hearing a different\new idea and doubt if it's true or a lie .... ask yourself, ..... Is it:
"go[ing] beyond what is written.” 1 Corinthians 4:6
Ask yourself:
  • John 3:16 ... is "that whoever" written
  • Colossians 2:9 .... is " fullness of the deity" written
  • John 3:36 ... is "God's wrath remains" written
  • Romans 3:28 ... is "righteousness by faith apart from observing the law" written
  • Is 1 Tim 2:4 written to usurp all other passages like John 3:36
    • Or that 1 Tim 2:4 is in context correctly understood when balanced with John 3:36
Quote:
Great post twin! Everything we need to know is in the Bible
I wasn't allowed to rep you twin. I agree with ILNC. Great post!

Everything that God chose to reveal to the church-age believer is found in the scriptures.

2 Tim 3:15 'and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

2 Tim3:16 'All Scripture is God breathed and is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction for training in righteousness; 17] that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

God the Holy Spirit never teaches the believer anything that is apart from or in contradiction to the Holy Scriptures.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:08 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Amen Little Elmer, everyone needs to read this, I mean really read it.
And stop putting hands over the ears to block the Spirit of God.

At that time Jesus prayed this prayer: "O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank you for hiding these things from those who think themselves wise and clever, and for revealing them to the childlike. Matthew 11:25

Old 02-12-2011, 11:09 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
No it does not. The Canon of Scripture is closed. Nothing can be added to it.

Paul in 2 Corinthians 3:2 was referring to the Corinthian church as being a letter of recommendation for him. Paul's ministry to the Corinthian church had been great. It had been very successful. The Corinthians themselves were his real commendation, and a good testimonial that God was with Paul. That he had been sent by God. 2 Cor 3:2 'You (Corinthians) are our epistle (letter),' The conversion of the Corinthians, under the apostle Paul was a better testimonial of his character than any letter could be. The fact that the Corinthians were a living testimonial of Paul was written in his heart.

Quote:
And yet, everything that God chose to reveal to man this side of death, and this side of the return of Christ, is contained in the Scriptures.

Yes, God is Spirit. His Word in times past was communicated in the following ways. By direct communication, by angels, by prophets, though dreams and visions, and through the written Scriptures as they existed at that time. Now, in the post canon period (the completed New Testament) of the church-age, God's communicated word to man is contained in the Scriptures. God the Holy Spirit who is the true Mentor makes perspicacious the spiritual phenomenon that is the contained in the Scriptures. He enables the believer to understand and metabolize the doctrines of the word of God.

Quote:

The natural mind does not comprehend the Scriptures. It is the believer under the filling of the Holy Spirit who can understand the doctrines of the word of God, and if he believes some particular doctrine once having understood it, it then becomes epignosis knowledge rather than mere gnosis knowledge.

The Holy Spirit only teaches what is in the Scriptures. He does not reveal anything to the believer apart from what has been transferred from the Bible into the soul of the believer under the teaching ministry of the Holy Spirit. And this does not contradict the fact that God has provided the spiritual gift of pastor/teacher to certain men, so that Bible doctrine can be communicated to a local congregation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity