Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Maybe we should leave that one unto the Lord, rather than spending time working it out ?.
Yes, but that strikes to the heart of the OP's notation about avoiding churches with gyms, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 06:49 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,111,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You, of course, may disagree and we'll remain friends, but until someone can show me a Biblical verse, in context, which means we ought to be concerned with our future health, I'll keep that position.
3 John 1:2:
2 Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.

Also, the verse you quoted says that exercise does profit a little, not nothing, and it doesn't say that it is wrong. Don't you take medicine when needed to stay healthy? Wouldn't that be the same thing as thinking about your health?

In America, there's an obesity rate of over 30%, so I don't understand your concern about people being too worried about their health. Smoking and drugs are destroying health in many people, too. Do you think those people are doing a good thing by not worrying about taking care of their bodies?

As far as the gym in the church, I think the money should be used for something else.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:17 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
Quote:
Yes, but that strikes to the heart of the OP's notation about avoiding churches with gyms, doesn't it?
Stillkit i don't what to tell you then, but get your eyes off the gyms and onto something that edifies yourself and others.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Stillkit i don't what to tell you then, but get your eyes off the gyms and onto something that edifies yourself and others.
Thank you, but my focus is edifying God, not me, and that's one of the reason's I question church wellness activities. Who ARE they edifying? God, or the body?

Old 02-17-2011, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
3 John 1:2:
2 Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.

Also, the verse you quoted says that exercise does profit a little, not nothing, and it doesn't say that it is wrong. Don't you take medicine when needed to stay healthy? Wouldn't that be the same thing as thinking about your health?

In America, there's an obesity rate of over 30%, so I don't understand your concern about people being too worried about their health. Smoking and drugs are destroying health in many people, too. Do you think those people are doing a good thing by not worrying about taking care of their bodies?

As far as the gym in the church, I think the money should be used for something else.
It's not up to me to decide whether those who worry about their bodies are doing a good thing or not. Jesus has already answered that question.

Ultimately, it comes down to answering a simple question: Have you totally surrendered your life to Christ? Or, are you still reserving some of it for yourself?

Old 02-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Thank you, but my focus is edifying God, not me, and that's one of the reason's I question church wellness activities. Who ARE they edifying? God, or the body?
Edifying yourself, one another and God is all scriptual. You will never end up edifying God why you are wondering whether a gym is of God or not, your eyes are on a gym and not God.

I would love to look inside your pantry and see what there is in there, because the scripture you are basing your argument about not taking thought for your body, also says take no thought about what you eat and wear.Do you walk around in sackcloth by any chance ?. Wouldn't suprise me if you rode on a horse and cart too.

Last edited by pcamps; 02-17-2011 at 01:59 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 01:58 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,309 times
Quote:
Wouldn't suprise me if you rode on a horse and cart too.
Yes, you are either living for God or you are not. Jesus rode a donkey btw

Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Edifying yourself, one another and God is all scriptual. You will never end up edifying God why you are wondering whether a gym is of God or not, your eyes are on a gym and not God.

I would love to look inside your pantry and see what there is in there, because the scripture you are basing your argument about not taking thought for your body, also says take no thought about what you eat and wear.Do you walk around in sackcloth by any chance ?. Wouldn't suprise me if you rode on a horse and cart too.
A horse and cart are too slow for me. I like to go really fast!

What's in my pantry? Well...let me put it this way: I exist mostly on grease, salt, peppers, nicotine and a little beer. And, so far, I'm in as perfect health as guy my age can be.

Now...why do suppose that is? It's certainly not because I'm trying, is it?

Hmmmm....could it be because I'm living in the will of the Lord and doing the job He sent me to do, a job which so far requires good health?

The work I'm doing for Him right now is disaster relief, mostly chainsaw work, first response damage assesment and mudding out flooded homes. Back in August, I spent a week in Haiti building permanent shelters in the tropical summer. I guarantee, all of those jobs require pretty good health and He provides it. In fact, most of my co-workers are older than me (I'm 61) and they're physically up the job too.

Gee! Who woulda thunk it? The Lord promises to equip us for His service and, by golly, that's just what's He's done!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
A horse and cart are too slow for me. I like to go really fast!

What's in my pantry? Well...let me put it this way: I exist mostly on grease, salt, peppers, nicotine and a little beer. And, so far, I'm in as perfect health as guy my age can be.

Now...why do suppose that is? It's certainly not because I'm trying, is it?

Hmmmm....could it be because I'm living in the will of the Lord and doing the job He sent me to do, a job which so far requires good health?

The work I'm doing for Him right now is disaster relief, mostly chainsaw work, first response damage assesment and mudding out flooded homes. Back in August, I spent a week in Haiti building permanent shelters in the tropical summer. I guarantee, all of those jobs require pretty good health and He provides it. In fact, most of my co-workers are older than me (I'm 61) and they're physically up the job too.

Gee! Who woulda thunk it? The Lord promises to equip us for His service and, by golly, that's just what's He's done!
A Chariot then ? What do you feed your horse on ?

Do you take any thought to which brand of cigarettes you smoke or brand of beer you drink ?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
A Chariot then ? What do you feed your horse on ?

Do you take any thought to which brand of cigarettes you smoke or brand of beer you drink ?

Now you're just being silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity