Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 11:40 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times

Advertisements

One of my book studies is in Acts, and I'm not understanding the speaking in tongues. Anyone know exactly what this is?

From what I understand, they started speaking in different languages, however, could "understand" somehow.

But some people say today (respectable people) that they are so overtaken they start speaking in tongues or babbling. Doesn't seem right to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 11:56 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
One of my book studies is in Acts, and I'm not understanding the speaking in tongues. Anyone know exactly what this is?

From what I understand, they started speaking in different languages, however, could "understand" somehow.

But some people say today (respectable people) that they are so overtaken they start speaking in tongues or babbling. Doesn't seem right to me.
Are you asking, "Has speaking in tongues precisely as in the Bible continued or ceased?"

Old 02-06-2014, 12:03 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
Are you asking, "Has speaking in tongues precisely as in the Bible continued or ceased?"
Does it mean speaking different languages, or does it mean babbling/chanting? The Bible isn't clear on this, and some churches and teachers I respect seem to think it's babbling or chanting when the spirit overtakes them.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:49 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
The gift of tongues is in some Christan's , as Jesus spirit brought this gift to here about two years after I got water baptized and Jesus Spirit came on my life ..... I never really developed the gift but the Gift is still there after some fifteen years ...don`t know what the words of tongues mean Just some heavenly worship words is all I know .......... I first received the gift as a Pastor teacher in the beginners class which I attended prayed for me and the next day the gift of tongues was there ............... I think that believer in Christ need to have faith and an expectation rejecting the logic which reason everything , also believers need to have a child like deposition in the lead for the spirit of God , and other Christians praying or laying on of hands is key to receiving this gift....

Old 02-06-2014, 03:53 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Does it mean speaking different languages, or does it mean babbling/chanting? The Bible isn't clear on this, and some churches and teachers I respect seem to think it's babbling or chanting when the spirit overtakes them.
It refers to speaking in a different human language. The gift of speaking in tongues specifically refers to speaking in another human language without any prior training. Note that when the apostles spoke in tongues, there were people of different nationalities that understood what the apostles were saying.

Acts 2:6-12 - ...the crowd came together, and were bewildered because each one of them was hearing them speak in his own language. 7 They were amazed and astonished, saying, "Why, are not all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 "And how is it that we each hear them in our own language to which we were born? 9 "Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the districts of Libya around Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretans and Arabs--we hear them in our own tongues speaking of the mighty deeds of God."

Old 02-06-2014, 03:54 PM

439 posts, read 426,602 times
Speaking in tongues is not another language like what we perceive it to be, English, Spanish, French, etc. Speaking in tongues is a HEAVENLY language. No matter where you go in this world, it all sounds the same. Speaking in tongues was prophesied about in the OT. When you say "speaking in tongues" we refer to it as the Holy Ghost. SOOOO many scriptures talk about speaking in tongues. It's part of the plan of salvation. It was NEVER EVER EVER done away with like some people may proclaim!!! There is no scripture to even back that up!!! If anything, it contradicts the scripture!!!

Christ's death, burial and resurrection were symbolic. The new plan of salvation, being born again, mirrors this.

Our death = repentance
Our burial = baptism
Our resurrection = Holy Ghost, speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance.

Ask me ANYTHING about speaking in tongues. As far as I know, I'm the only one on this forum who does it. If there are others, I'm not aware of them. It is so important to understand the true meaning behind it and why it IS meant for us today!!!!

John 3:3-7 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. 4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? 5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:59 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:

The tongues displayed in Acts is definitely NOT what you see today in a lot of churches with the babbling nonsense. Does that mean that real tongues are not practiced at all? I wouldn't say that. I'm not going to suggest that they are all doing wrong. But it is of my opinion and I teach that tongues are not normative today, and I do not encourage the use of them in our church service. If God wants it to happen...he'll make it happen.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:09 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown0830 View Post
Speaking in tongues is not another language like what we perceive it to be, English, Spanish, French, etc. Speaking in tongues is a HEAVENLY language. No matter where you go in this world, it all sounds the same. Speaking in tongues was prophesied about in the OT. When you say "speaking in tongues" we refer to it as the Holy Ghost. SOOOO many scriptures talk about speaking in tongues. It's part of the plan of salvation. It was NEVER EVER EVER done away with like some people may proclaim!!! There is no scripture to even back that up!!! If anything, it contradicts the scripture!!!
This is simply not true. Acts 2 is clear what took place with tongues/languages.

The one thing that you have correct is tongues have not ceased - because tongues are different human languages which are spoken throughout the earth. The gift of tongues, referring to speaking in another language without any prior training, is hardly ever utilized by the Holy Spirit right now. We do have the ability to learn other languages thru our own efforts however.

Tongues as babbling, or some unknown heavenly language is not valid. How does speaking in some unknown language advance the gospel? How do we worship God through words we don't understand? We can worship Him more effectively in our own language and in our right minds. I just shake my head at this stuff.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 02-06-2014 at 04:18 PM..

Old 02-06-2014, 04:20 PM

439 posts, read 426,602 times
Quote:
How can God's Word not seem right to you? It was declared by Jesus Himself!!! The people who experience this precious gift for the first time may feel very overtaken. Until you really have God's Spirit in you, you will NEVER be able to understand. The feeling is amazing. So that's why they feel the way they do. I have been speaking in tongues for 23 years now. Only time I feel "overtaken" is when I go into intercessory prayer. Which, not everyone who speaks in tongues does. Intercessory prayer is reserved for those who go deeper in their relationship with God. It's nothing you can just force upon yourself. You have to be in COMPLETE alignment with God to enter in that realm of prayer.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 02-13-2014 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: Copyright violation.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:37 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,592 times
Quote:
The bible is very clear on this subject. With stammering/babbling lips that are not understood except by supernatural means and also with other tonques that can be understood by those who speak the same language does God speak. It is written that God chooses foolish things to confound those who are wise in their own conceits and arrogant thinking they know all about God. Only the Spirit can reveal the deep things of God to those who have the Spirit because the natural mind can not understand spiritual things as it is imposible. Theology is but a head knowlege about God but being "born again" of the Spirit is to have the "Spirit of Truth and of Adobtion" to actually know God more and more.

IS 28:11 "For with stammering lips and another tongue will He speak to this people."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity