Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 07:15 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times

Advertisements

I thought it was what came out of us that made us unclean,not what went into us ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 07:26 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
I don't have to be a vegetarian. No Christian has to! I don't know who started this new thread. The Lord appointed us to eat meat. He gave us permission to. And we have dominion over the animals. So who am I going to listen to? John or the Lord? I'll listen to the Lord. Thank you.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:51 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
I disagree Mike. Isaiah tells us the situation that will prevail when the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord. Isaiah 11

3 And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:
4 But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.
5 And righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins, and faithfulness the girdle of his reins.
6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.
9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.

Additionally, at the garden of Eden, The Almighty God who taught our first parents directly prescribed their diet to them- fruits and vegetables. I hope you know that after their sin, God left them and dealt with man through intermediaries. Those were the dark ages- when we had laws like 'an eye for an eye' etc. These were repudiated by Christ in his first advent. He said that those that came before him were thieves and robbers. He also confirmed that only him had the true word of the Father. Christ also informed his disciples that he had not taught them everything, because they could not bear it. That when the Comforter comes, he would teach man everything. It means that the comforter would come with 'new' teachings as well as glorifying Christ. Today that comforter has arrived to dwell with man as foretold by Isaiah and confirmed by Christ.

Christ helping his fishermen disciples did not mean he ate the fish with them. Again we see in the last passover he conducted, flesh was not on the menu. When he fed 5000 people, it was not stated that he partook. When he resurrected the nearest he came to eating fish is actually a misinterpreted scripture. Luke 24
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
43 And he took [it], and did eat before them.

They offered him two items broiled fish and honeycomb bread. Guess what he took? The honeycomb. The prophecy of Immanuel went further to specify his diet as vegetarian, stating that it was necessary for him to refuse evil. Isaiah 7

14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
15 Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.
16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.

If you refer to the temptation of Christ, the devil asked him to transform stone to bread, not to meat. The devil knows his dietary preferences.

When he was hungry, he wanted to eat the fruit from a tree, where he cursed the tree. He could have asked for some beef or fish.

All through his life, he walked with the so called 'unrighteous' people, does it mean he was unrighteous too? In the old testament we see sacrifices were permitted, but now are you allowed to do that? What was acceptable in the age of darkness would have to be done away with in the age of the light.

The Manna the Israelite received from heaven did not contain animal meal, but had honey and Coriander wafer. Read Exodus 16;31.

I have explained to you the spiritual implication of Abel's action which meant he had to be killed. Its the truth from the Holy Spirit, when you kill an animal anywhere, you have killed a man. These animals are also your brothers and were not offered to you as food from the beginning. As we go back to purity, we need to practice holiness and abstain from ungodly acts like killing, spilling blood for food. Paul had said earlier that when he was a kid, he spoke as a kid, he acted as a kid, but now he has grown up he has put away childish things.

Daniel experiment was very significant but you demean it by claiming their normal food would have been offered to idols before they eat. I think that that is purely speculation and in real life how practical is that? If they offered all their food to gods would they not offer the vegetables too? Would the gods not be responsible for the yield of their farms? I think your theory does not fit and an attempt to force the issue. The experiment confirms that a persons dietary preferences defines his holiness. Let me restate the verse for you to reconsider.

14 So he consented to them in this matter, and proved them ten days.
15 And at the end of ten days their countenances appeared fairer and fatter in flesh than all the children which did eat the portion of the king's meat.
16 Thus Melzar took away the portion of their meat, and the wine that they should drink; and gave them pulse.
17 As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.
18 Now at the end of the days that the king had said he should bring them in, then the prince of the eunuchs brought them in before Nebuchadnezzar.
19 And the king communed with them; and among them all was found none like Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah: therefore stood they before the king.
20 And in all matters of wisdom [and] understanding, that the king enquired of them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians [and] astrologers that [were] in all his realm.

I want you to think why God only gave these vegetarians the wisdom and understanding far in excess of the others.
I already addressed that.

Quote:
We have seen that in the prophecy of Immanuel, the holy one was to not eat flesh, angel Gabriel had told Zachariah that John would be filled with the Holy Ghost from birth and would restrain from Wine or strong drink. John kept to a strict vegan life in his lifetime. So what one eats matters, what one drinks also matters.. that's the truth. That was why Adam and Eve all ate vegan diets as directed by God when they walked in his ways. Paul was also a vegetarian.

Romans 14:21.

21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

What I am saying in effect is that we should all strive to be vegetarians, but it is a gradual effort, and I acknowledge that not all are meant to practice this doctrine. You are not condemend because you do not practice now, but the knowledge of God is in stages and when you understand the reality of what eating flesh is, you will ask God to help you cross to the vegan side. The practice of vegetarianism is the true teaching of God. It is a show of true love for all God's creation.
Ignoring the rest of what you said, I'll just reply to what you said here. You said the following.

'I have explained to you the spiritual implication of Abel's action which meant he had to be killed. Its the truth from the Holy Spirit, when you kill an animal anywhere, you have killed a man. These animals are also your brothers and were not offered to you as food from the beginning. As we go back to purity, we need to practice holiness and abstain from ungodly acts like killing, spilling blood for food. Paul had said earlier that when he was a kid, he spoke as a kid, he acted as a kid, but now he has grown up he has put away childish things.'

The spiritual implication of what Abel did was that he pleased God by offering an animal sacrifce in accordance with God's instructions. Cain on the other hand presented an offering of fruit which God REJECTED.

No animal is a brother to any man. Nor is there anything ungodly about killing an animal for food. Or about killing in warfare for those who are on the side of right. Or in capital punishment. It is the crime of murder which is prohibited.

Your claim that God the Holy Spirit has told you anything to the contrary is false. You told me in another thread that the Holy Spirit had told you something about the garden of Eden which is not in the Scriptures. That too is not true.

Here is what you said in post #42 of the following thread If You deny that Jesus Christ is God, then Answer this!!!

If I tell you some of the things that happened in the garden of Eden, of course you'll ask me to provide a link or tell you the portion in scripture The Holy Spirit who has come as promised is the one who teaches me. I have no knowledge of my own!
unquote

You mentioned Paul and so I will mention what Peter said concerning Pauls teachings.

2 Peter 3:15 'and regard the patience of our Lord to be salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16] as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:02 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,937,042 times
Quote:
The practice of vegetarianism is the true teaching of God. It is a show of true love for all God's creation.

I agree. Scripture makes that very clear. Not only for us (man) but also for all the animals:

Gen 1:29 And God saith, `Lo, I have given to you every herb sowing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree in which is the fruit of a tree sowing seed, to you it is for food;
Gen 1:30 and to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the heavens, and to every creeping thing on the earth, in which is breath of life, every green herb is for food:' and it is so.

This was the original intent of God for both man and animals. Now if I can only get my wife and cat to agree with me on this....

Old 02-24-2011, 10:07 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
Malbron, you stated "The practice of vegetarianism is the true teaching of God. It is a show of true love for all God's creation."

Are not plants also a part of Gods creation, so in your mind set, one should not even eat plants if you are to show true love for Gods creation.

I find that if a person chooses to be a vegetarian then that is a choice they make,to have to justify it this manner is absurd. One could make the arguement that all life has the right to life and nothing should be killed for consumption, therfore, you will have to filter the air you breath, filter the water you drink for even these carry life forms. Just because plants or vegetables do not get up and walk around doesn't mean they are without life, it doesn't mean that they are exempt from being one of Gods creatures.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:19 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Isaac, who had a taste for wild game, loved Esau, but Rebekah loved Jacob. Gen 25:28

I eat meat in moderation perhaps twice a week max, but i love meat, especially lamb.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:21 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,201 times
Eat meat, be thin, survive: my God is a practical God.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:20 AM

8,172 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Isaiah tells us the situation that will prevail when the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord. Isaiah 11

3 And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:
4 But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.
5 And righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins, and faithfulness the girdle of his reins.
6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.
9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.

The practice of vegetarianism is the true teaching of God. It is a show of true love for all God's creation.
Beautiful.
We're all here in the process of learning.

"Love your neighbor"
People just have different ideas of who their neighbor actually is.
But I think that as we go on and things become clearer and clearer the definition of "neighbor" becomes more and more encompassing.
Until all of creation is included in the definition---
And the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord:
"They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain..."

Why are the animals afraid of us?
They have a reason to be.
For now.
It won't always be this way:

(see Marlbron's quote above.)

Old 02-24-2011, 11:44 AM

8,172 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Blessings Brian

I was once a vegetarian, and now am not. So in every way like yourself. I intend to go back, as I know the benefits. I cannot see a truth and say its not just because I am not practicing it at the moment. Guess, I am preaching to myself!

Amen, Marlbron...
Thank you for pointing that out.
I can surely identify.
I think it's important. Because I think as humans we tend to push away things and justify stuff because we aren't ready yet to walk a different path or give up doing something. Sometimes, things take time. If you (general you) see a truth, or if something speaks to you and you feel you don't have the strength.... take baby steps.
Like with this issue..
Give up one TYPE of meat and slowly keep going.
Don't just turn your head away.
Well, just something to keep in mind.
peace,
sparrow

Old 02-24-2011, 11:59 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
John the baptist, being a Jew could not be vegetarian. He had to eat lamb for the passover at least once a year. The locusts he ate were the grasshopper type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity