Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 05:30 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Who has the right when it comes to marriage laws? NOT THE CHURCH, this is obvious because the STATES write the LAWS related to MARRIAGE. Therefore, SCOTUS has the RIGHT and the OBLIGATION to REVIEW state laws and decide if they are Constitutional...You continue to argue AGAINST YOUR WORDS AGAIN
The states, of course.
Quote:
State Law CANNOT VIOLATE the Constitution...

Amendment XIV

Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Which is EXACTLY what Justice Kennedy wrote and what 5 other Justices recognized...
No state was denying anyone due process of law over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 05:36 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The states, of course.

No state was denying anyone due process of law over this.
Gays could NOT marry, therefore the LGBT community was being deprived equal protection of the laws.

They were also NOT ALLOWED DUE PROCESS to challenge the law until; it went to SCOTUS...
And SCOTUS disagrees with you by a 5 to 4 margin..

Old 07-01-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Gays could NOT marry, therefore the LGBT community was being deprived equal protection of the laws.

They were also NOT ALLOWED DUE PROCESS to challenge the law until; it went to SCOTUS...
And SCOTUS disagrees with you by a 5 to 4 margin..
Of course they were allowed to marry. No one ever asked me if I was gay when I got my marriage license, nor did anyone care. There has never been any denial of rights against people simply becasue they like homosexual sex.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:46 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Of course they were allowed to marry. No one ever asked me if I was gay when I got my marriage license, nor did anyone care. There has never been any denial of rights against people simply becasue they like homosexual sex.
Moderator cut: Violation of the TOS in wording.

If that was true, why are all the evangelical-fundies upset that SCOTUS ruled gays have the right to marry?

Texas was one of 13 states that banned gay marriage before the Supreme Court ruled on Friday that those bans were unconstitutional, effectively legalizing gay marriage across the country. Therefore, it's not surprising that its lawmakers are trying to resist following the ruling.

Still illegal for gays to marry here

Last edited by june 7th; 07-01-2015 at 06:07 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Orphaned response
Quote:

Texas was one of 13 states that banned gay marriage before the Supreme Court ruled on Friday that those bans were unconstitutional, effectively legalizing gay marriage across the country. Therefore, it's not surprising that its lawmakers are trying to resist following the ruling.

Still illegal for gays to marry here
Good for them. Did they ban gay marriage? Or same sex marriage? Do you realize what the difference is? Moderator cut: Since been orphaned

Last edited by june 7th; 07-01-2015 at 06:13 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 05:51 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned

Good for them. Did they ban gay marriage? Or same sex marriage? Do you realize what the difference is? Moderator cut: Since been orphaned
Do you realize what the question before the court was?

Hint, it did not mention sexual orientation.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-01-2015 at 06:16 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Do you realize what the question before the court was?

Hint, it did not mention sexual orientation.
I get that. But I'm not aware of any state that specifically banned marriage based on whether a person was gay or straight. So there is no denial of due process to any gay person.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:07 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
I get that. But I'm not aware of any state that specifically banned marriage based on whether a person was gay or straight. So there is no denial of due process to any gay person.
Yes you are right, as long as the gay person turned straight they could get married. You could even expand that further by passing laws outlawing all other religions but yours as every one has equal opportunity to accept your religion and convert. Did any of the decenting judges use your argument? If not why not as you seem to think it totally covers the issue.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:09 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
The states denied marriage based on the sex of the people getting married which is why the court answered the question "Does the Fourteenth Amendment require a state to license a marriage between two people of the same sex?"

No mention of the sexual orientation of those two people, just the sex of the two people.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:36 PM

440 posts, read 377,719 times
Quote:
And we all know that the liberal progressive teachers' unions will push the idea of religious oppression.

Of course, we all know that throughout human history marriage has always been 1 man, 1 woman. But THIS generation is sooooooo smart they have it figured out. Heck...even the President himself was against it a few years ago.
I think people will always have the right to believe in myths, but people will not have the right to oppress others based on those myths.

I must correct you, unions have never been between a man and a woman exclusively. Same-sex unions have existed from the very day humans invented these unions. Remember that this is not a religious invention; it predates all religions by thousands of years to the point where we are unable to know when exactly people began to practise it, but we know they were more strategic for survival and defense against rival clans.

Look at the ancient world, anywhere you look at you will find that same-sex union existed.

Last edited by Haukur; 07-01-2015 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity