Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times

Advertisements

Growing up I was taught that homosexuality was the ultimate sin against God and He would completely and totally destroy America if this country were to ever legalize it. The rational part of me says thats hogwash and the liberal Christian part of me says God is love and we are under the age of Grace and not the age of wrath. However, there is a part of me that, having heard the message of fire and brimstone every Sunday for 22 years, is a bit fearful of it happening. I look at things like the collapsing economy and skyrocketing oil prices and wonder if that may be punishment from God (Things spiraled out of control after California legalized gay marriage in Summer of 2008 but became relatively placid after Prop 8 passed until now when things are collapsing once again). I wonder if $100 oil and the crashing stock market has anything to do with Obama's DOMA policy? Does God still punish nations as in the Old Testament or does he deal more on an individual level in this age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,506 times
Bad things have happened to every country, society and culture. The relationship to homosexuality has nothing to do with it.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:51 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,260 times
America may destroy itself and I doubt any god will have anything to do with it. Empires come and go. It's history.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:59 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,366 times
What was it at the beginning of the Decline of the American Empire the narrator said? Numbers, numbers, numbers. Have to go back to the Garden.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:34 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Growing up I was taught that homosexuality was the ultimate sin against God and He would completely and totally destroy America if this country were to ever legalize it. The rational part of me says thats hogwash and the liberal Christian part of me says God is love and we are under the age of Grace and not the age of wrath. However, there is a part of me that, having heard the message of fire and brimstone every Sunday for 22 years, is a bit fearful of it happening. I look at things like the collapsing economy and skyrocketing oil prices and wonder if that may be punishment from God (Things spiraled out of control after California legalized gay marriage in Summer of 2008 but became relatively placid after Prop 8 passed until now when things are collapsing once again). I wonder if $100 oil and the crashing stock market has anything to do with Obama's DOMA policy? Does God still punish nations as in the Old Testament or does he deal more on an individual level in this age?
Homosexuality is not the ultimate sin against God....disbelief is. I'm not here to say whether homosexuality is wrong in the eyes of God or not, that's not my place. I don't think it's as bad as some would make it out to be, God apparently has allowed people to be born with these homosexual tendencies and it's up to them to act upon those tendencies or not. I love all people, their sexuality makes no difference to me. I think you can read into any situation and make it say what you want it to say, no problem. But bad things are NOT happening because gay people are getting married. That's ridiculous.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:42 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
I consider myself a conservative Christian, but I was never taught that. Then again I'm Catholic, but this still strikes me as really weird.

Also seeing as God has not destroyed the Netherlands or Spain it would seem this wouldn't work. This doesn't mean I think same sex marriage is a good idea, but I don't think God generally destroys people for even bad ideas. For an extreme example several Christianized Indian tribes were persecuted by the US government, but God didn't strike the US down for that. Even if I have some problems with same-sex marriage it's hardly equivalent to forced marches or genocide.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:10 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,633,481 times
America is gone already. The New World Order will be in place 2012. Along with it a merging of all regions for the sake of peace so we can all worship God. Of course we all know as Christians that you have to go through Christ to get to God right? Also that we don't all worship the same "God." We worship Yahweh and Islam worships Satan. So real Christians will reject this. The Pope will be the guy that merges Catholicism with Islam at archangel Gabriel. In doing so, rejecting Jesus Christ as God in the flesh and accepting Gabriel as the angel that displayed itself to Muhammad in a cave. Of course we know that is a lie right? Separation of church and state will dissolve. Enter their world religious leader/ Christian's anti-Christ. Enter tribulation for seven years. 2020 Armageddon and second coming of Jesus Christ. From what I've researched anyway. If you don't believe it now remember this message.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:29 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
No. God is destroying this country because people are having sex before they get married. And no, I don't believe that either. But it's just as easy to blame it on one thing as it is the other.
God is not destroying this country and homosexuals are not evil. It's really that simple. Greed might destroy this country. Greed and power and narcissism. But not love. Homosexuals want to get married because they love each other.
I think people need to stop looking at the bad things going on in this world as a punishment from God and realize that it was humans who got us into these messes and it is humans that will get us out. If we try to be part of the solution and stop playing the blame game - we will all be much more productive.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:31 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
If you don't believe it now remember this message.
Really? So now you're a prophet? Good grief, this stuff never ends.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times
Homosexuality is the least of this worlds worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity