Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:51 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,445,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
No it will not, just remember when peter had a moment of faith and walked on water and then began sinking as his fear over took him. Jesus might have said "oh ye of little faith" but he did so while helping him not drown.
Not only that, but he even went so far as to deny Christ altogether, three times! And the Lord STILL designated him as the rock on which He'd build His Church!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 01:20 PM

829 posts, read 2,944,508 times
I tell you why I ask this...

I have a bad phobia when it comes to anything medical...and when something with me isnt 100 percent, i get bad anxiety...if i have a flu...i have anxiety the whole time that it is either something else besides a bug or that im not going to get better, so i cant even relax while not feeling well...so you can imagine what i am feeling.

I tell myself I honestly think that if I trusted in the Lord 100 percent like I should that I would not have these worries...

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:24 PM

422 posts, read 646,022 times
I would honestly ask you if the anxiety is rooted in fear. If so you need to remember that fear is the opposite of faith and without faith it is impossible to please God. Only you know the answers. God bless.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:39 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,098,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post

I have a bad phobia when it comes to anything medical...and when something with me isnt 100 percent, i get bad anxiety...if i have a flu...i have anxiety the whole time that it is either something else besides a bug or that im not going to get better, so i cant even relax while not feeling well...so you can imagine what i am feeling.

I tell myself I honestly think that if I trusted in the Lord 100 percent like I should that I would not have these worries...

Maybe part of the anxiety is a control issue, too. In other words, you want your life to turn out exactly the way you want it to, and you worry that it won't. If so, just remember that trusting God means to trust him regardless of the outcome. I certainly did not get the outcome I hoped for with the illness of my sweet son, but I had to keep renewing my mind by believing that God is trustworthy and His plan was greater than mine, and that God has a purpose for each of us to fulfill, however long (or short) that takes. If you get an illness, just do all you can to get better, but ultimately put it in God's hands because, like scripture says, you can't add one day to your life by worrying. Peace to you.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:04 PM

Thank you for the responses. I have told about my fear of going to the docs...etc...so there is sense to what you all say. Thanks

Old 02-25-2011, 03:23 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,445,188 times
Quote:

What are you worried about? When you boil it down, it's just that you're afraid you might die. Well...so what? Why is that frightening to you?

Let's face it: none of us WANT to die, but it's an appointment we can't avoid. If not today, then next week. If not next week, then next month. Ultimately and inevitably, our death date will come and that's that. Worrying and sweating and trying to put it off doesn't do any good. The Bible says it is "appointed unto man once to die," and there's no avoiding that fate, no matter how much we worry about it.

Let me relate a true story which, while it may make me look a little weird, might be helpful to you.

During the war, I was in the Infantry, and after I'd been there for 6 or 7 months, I'd come to the soul-deep conclusion that I wasn't going to survive long enough to go home. We were immersed in death, 24 hours a day, and the odds just seemed too long to fathom. If we weren't seeing death, we were smelling it. If not smelling it, we could hear it. It was just relentless and went on almost continuously day after day, week after week, month after month. There was no point at which we were free from it's embrace or it's presence. Not only that, but we lived constantly with the sure knowledge that our time could come at any given moment, in any place, in any circumstance and that wears on you after awhile.

Finally, I got angry at death for taking so long. Life in the Infantry is brutal; physically, mentally, emotionally. The burden of carrying the surety of your own, sudden, violent death is heavy and I just got tired of carrying it. Eventually, I slipped into a form of insanity, which is not uncommon for men in that position.

Anyhow, one day we were moving along in some heavy brush, but out in the open, not in the jungle. I looked up and saw a black figure come flying over a mountain and heading directly toward us. It was Death, the Grim Reaper in his classic guise: long, black robe, hood, giant scythe and all. Yes, I was delusional and knew it at the time, but there he was anyhow.

He came alongside me and matched his pace to mine for awhile. I was walking; he was floating as he had no visible feet. Neither did he have a face inside that hood. It was just a deep, eternal darkness in there.

I said something like, "Hey death. Come to get me?"

"No," he replied, "Not today. I have an appointment over the hill in a few minutes, in the next valley." We moved along together for awhile and he eventually said, "Goodbye" and flew away. A couple of days later, this happened again.

I said all that to say this: I did not find death frightening at all. He was just doing his job and it wasn't personal to him. In fact, I found it strangely comforting and it's remained comforting to me now for 40 years.

Illusion? Yes. Gift from God? Maybe, you tell me. The point is that while I now may worry about the pain of my particular method of death, I no longer fear it all. It's just as natural a part of living as is being born and it holds no terrors for me.

Hopefully, you can draw the same reassuring comfort from this event as I did and find peace.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,676,380 times
Quote:

it's an illness,not a lack of faith.nonetheless,try to remember some of these when you worry,ok?I hope it will help,knowing that God had ALL of your days planned out before you were even born.

I know when you sit down and when you rise up.
Psalm 139:2
I am familiar with all your ways. Psalm 139:3
Even the very hairs on your head are numbered.
Matthew 10:29-31
For you were made in my image.
Genesis 1:27
In me you live and move and have your being. Acts 17:28
For you are my offspring.
Acts 17:28
I knew you even before you were conceived.
Jeremiah 1:4-5
I chose you when I planned creation.
Ephesians 1:11-12
You were not a mistake,
for all your days are written in my book,before one of them came to be. 1Psalm 139:15-16

Old 02-26-2011, 10:05 PM

stil-i dont know if it is a fear of death actually...but thank you very much for sharing that story, and thank you for serving!

sc-thank you for sharing those verses...it is much appreciated!

Old 11-30-2011, 02:46 AM

1 posts, read 980 times
You don't have OCD, OCD ate least true OCD is a serious condition that traps a person in rituals to relieve a certain anxiety. People often spend half their day or longer in these exhausting routines that interfere with everything they do. It can keep them from getting a job, having relationships, or just about doing anything. PEOPLE WHO HAVE LITTLE OBSESSIONS OR ORGANIZING ROUTINES DON'T HAVE OCD, SO STOP SAYING YOU DO!!!! YOUR TAKING THE SERIOUSNESS AWAY FROM TRUE SUFFERES!!! A true oct person doesn't ask if there is a God, they ask if God actually cares about their pain and suffering

Old 11-30-2011, 03:26 AM

32,529 posts, read 21,825,388 times
Quote:
I suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, not to a terrible degree, but enough where I struggle with certain anxieties. I have also been a Christian for a long time...grew up in the church...etc. Now with ocd, comes many "what if" questions, at least for me. Could this be hurting my walk with the Lord? I honestly wish I could say i had 100 percent faith, but I dont know if i do.
OCD is causing you to be OCD about the 'what if's'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity