U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:21 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,123,362 times

Advertisements

"In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;" 2 Tim. 2.25

Reading the above, we see that God gives some men repentance. (Perhaps not all, but some yes.)

"16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. 17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears." Heb. 12.16-17

Esau could not repent. --Because God did not give it to him?

So is repentance God-given? If so, then it is impossible to repent unless God gives it to us..

Thoughts?

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 10:38 AM

7,544 posts, read 11,581,022 times
It comes from the Spirit.

It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send Him unto you.
And when He is come, He will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Of sin, because they believe not on me;
Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
Of judgment, because the prince of this world (the flesh) is judged. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. (So the Spirit reveals those things of Christ to us.) (John 16:7-12)

Old 02-28-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send Him unto you.
And when He is come, He will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Of judgment, because the prince of this world (the flesh) is judged. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. (So the Spirit reveals those things of Christ to us.) (John 16:7-12)
If it comes from the Spirit, then do all men have the Spirit?
Peter mentions Joel in Acts 2:
"And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:"

So perhaps God has indeed poured out His Spirit upon all flesh?

If so, then it is God indeed who moves in on man's heart but not in another..

Blessings,
brian

Old 02-28-2011, 06:44 AM

7,544 posts, read 11,581,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
All men have the seed, to which He appeals to.

Seek The Light: The Seed In Every Man - J. Preston Eby

Old 02-28-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
All men have the seed, to which He appeals to.

Seek The Light: The Seed In Every Man - J. Preston Eby
Thanks for the link, little elmer!
There's lots to read there, especially with all the links!

Back to the OP,
So it sounds as though, among the various supernatural events that took place at Calvary, one of these was God putting His Spirit in man, (or the Seed), and also giving him the "place" where he could repent when God called him.
Man underwent a type of "overhaul" at Calvary, in order for God to be able to draw man to Him at His will!

Peter said in Acts 2, that men needed to repent and be baptized in Jesus' name in order to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
But later on in Acts 10, we see that that message was false, because people were receiving the Holy Ghost even before being baptized!
"While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word." v.44

So sometimes we get things a bit confused, and Peter was one of them!

Blessings,
brian

Old 02-28-2011, 07:27 AM

30,334 posts, read 20,055,628 times
All the things we have and are is because of him. A man can receive nothing unless it be given him from above. Just as the day dawns upon us and we never ever choose this happening,so is it when light dawns upon us(within us).

For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,”[a] made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:53 PM

37,648 posts, read 25,337,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Peter mentions Joel in Acts 2:
"And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:"

So perhaps God has indeed poured out His Spirit upon all flesh?

If so, then it is God indeed who moves in on man's heart but not in another..

Blessings,
brian
Since Jesus' rebirth as Spirit . . . His Holy Spirit has been "poured out upon" ALL humankind as the Comforter and guide to what God has "written in our hearts." BUT . . . we do NOT ALL LISTEN or follow that inner guidance. There is a difference between God calling . . . and our accepting and following that call to "build" upon the foundation (connection to God) that Jesus has provided to us ALL. It is that "building or not" that will determine the amount of "refining" (or repentance if we realize it while still alive) that will be necessary for each of us . . . but we are ALL saved by Jesus, period.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM

7,883 posts, read 6,700,034 times
In Exodus 32..... the People of the Exodus from Egypt built a golden calf and the Lord God wanted to consume them all but the Lord God REPENTED......``verse 8..God said...they made a molten calf and have worshiped it `... verse 9-10..`` it is a stiff necked people , let me alone that my wrath may wax hot against them and I may consume them, and I will make of you a great nation....... verse 11-13... Moses said ``Lord why does your wrath wax hot against your people which you have brought out of the land of Egypt... should the Egyptians speak and say`,For mischief did he bring them out to slay them in the mountains and to consume them in the face of the earth?..... TURN from your fierce wrath, and REPENT of this evil against your people Remember your promise to Abraham, Issac and Israel........ verse 14 `` And the Lord REPENTED of the evil which he thought to do to his people.......

Old 02-28-2011, 07:07 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,427,109 times
Quote:

My repentance came at the time when I was not even seeking God (I used to be a free-thinker...preoccupied with earthly things.) It came after the loving Spirit of God touched the core of my being that made me want to know about HIM.

Peace!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:08 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,213,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
In Exodus 32..... the People of the Exodus from Egypt built a golden calf and the Lord God wanted to consume them all but the Lord God REPENTED......``verse 8..God said...they made a molten calf and have worshiped it `... verse 9-10..`` it is a stiff necked people , let me alone that my wrath may wax hot against them and I may consume them, and I will make of you a great nation....... verse 11-13... Moses said ``Lord why does your wrath wax hot against your people which you have brought out of the land of Egypt... should the Egyptians speak and say`,For mischief did he bring them out to slay them in the mountains and to consume them in the face of the earth?..... TURN from your fierce wrath, and REPENT of this evil against your people Remember your promise to Abraham, Issac and Israel........ verse 14 `` And the Lord REPENTED of the evil which he thought to do to his people.......
So we have Some scriptures which speak of God repenting ...

Genesis 6:6
And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Exodus 32:14
And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

Deuteronomy 32:36
For the Lord shall judge his people, and repent himself for his servants.

1 Samuel 15:11
It repenteth me [God] that I have set up Saul to be king.

1 Samuel 15:35
The Lord repented that he had made Saul king over Israel.

2 Samuel 24:16
The Lord repented of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, it is enough: stay now thine hand.

1 Chronicles 21:15
The Lord beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand.

Isaiah 38:1-5
In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. And Isaiah ... said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order: for thou shalt die, and not live. ... Thus saith the LORD ... I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will add unto thy days fifteen years.

Jeremiah 15:6
I [God] am weary of repenting.

Jeremaih 18:8
I [God] will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.

Jeremaih 26:3
That I [God]may repent me of the evil, which I purpose to do unto them.

Jeremiah 26:13
The Lord will repent him of the evil that he hath pronounced against you.

Jeremiah 26:19
The Lord repented him of the evil which he had pronounced against them.

Jeremaih 42:10
For I [God] repent me of the evil that I have done unto you.

Amos 7:3, 6
The Lord repented for this.

Jonah 3:10
God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them.

And then there are some verses that say that God does not repent ...

Numbers 23:19
God is not a man that he should lie; neither the son of a man that he should repent.

1 Samuel 15:29
The Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent.

Ezekiel 24:14
I the LORD have spoken it: it shall come to pass, and I will do it; I will not go back, neither will I spare, neither will I repent.

Malachi 3:6
For I am the Lord, I change not.

James 1:17
With whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

So i wonder which is true? Is God like a man that he should repent of whatever he would do?

If God does in fact repent, then doesn't that mean that he changes his mind? And if God changes his mind, then he in fact does change and is not changeless, and neither can he be all knowing if he did not know that he would change his mind to begin with. If he did know that he would change his mind, then did he ever really repent or change his mind to begin with?

Something is askew ... What do you think it might be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity