Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
He didn't invite them, it was Matthew's house, and his Buddies who were there.
I didn't say anyone invited anyone. Jesus was already there having dinner when they came and ate with Him.

Matt 9:10 While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and sinners came and ate with him and his disciples.

Other than that, I have already explained my view of the passage. If you don't like the view, then so be it. I will simply have to accept the fact that you have no desire to see what I am tying to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
It means quit condemning sinners for being sinners, because in doing so you are condemning yourself. Learn that you are no different from the sinner you are condemning then you will receive mercy unto yourself.
Thanks for sharing your take on it. Much appreciated.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:02 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I didn't say anyone invited anyone. Jesus was already there having dinner when they came and ate with Him.
Ok my bad ,you actually said allowed to dine with him.He allowed nothing it wasn't his call, it was Matthew's house.

Jesus never felt uneasy around sinners,nor did he make the sinner feel uneasy(contrary to popular belief), he knew just exactly how to speak into the heart of the man lost. Matthew knew this, because Jesus accepted him for who he was, and i am sure Matthew sent out invitation to all his sinful buddies to come dine at my house with Jesus tonight,don't worry he's not like those condemning self righteous sinners, who are always condemning sinners with no mercy whatsoever, and are blind to the sin in their own life.

I guess you think you are keeping your cards close to your chest in not answering my question.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:15 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
What do you believe Jesus was saying when he said "I desire mercy not sacrifice?"

I believe he was saying "Quit condemning sinners because they are sinners".
And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to His disciples,"Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?"
When Jesus heard that, He said to them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.
But go and learn what this means:
‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice’ for I did not come to call the righteous…"

"When one pharisaically strives for perfection, they reject imperfection; the poor in spirit."

Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:33 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Another point concerning sacrifice is that the carnal mind/ways require sacrifice - an eye for an eye - a tooth for a tooth. And God allowed wicked men to kill Jesus because they would not have any of the mercy that Jesus taught. Then people built an entire sacrificial religion out of Christianity saying that GOD himself demanded the blood of Christ, when the truth is that it is wicked and unmerciful men who demanded that he be crucified. And as if that were not bad enough, even after Jesus laid down his life for the sins of the world, Christianity still teaches that that was NOT ENOUGH, that God is still not satisfied unless each individual person completely understand and accept what happened at the cross, and if not, their 'Father' will burn your @ss in hell for all eternity after your earthly suffering is done. This is not a pretty picture! It is a misunderstanding of Jesus Christ and the cross and it infects the entire globe.
This is deep stuff..
It wasn't God who demanded that Jesus die, it was religious envy and pride that wanted Him dead! Amen!

Oh, that we may be wise to know the ways in which the wicked one works, that we are not taken by surprise! Let us not be "ignorant of his devices"...

Blessings Heartsong!
Brian

Old 03-08-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
This is deep stuff..
It wasn't God who demanded that Jesus die, it was religious envy and pride that wanted Him dead! Amen!

Oh, that we may be wise to know the ways in which the wicked one works, that we are not taken by surprise! Let us not be "ignorant of his devices"...
I believe it was according to God's plan so we will have to agree to disagree.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 AM

351 posts, read 355,204 times
Quote:
Hi Finn. We agree again!! I agree with you that what Jesus was saying was live up to the spirit of the law not the physical compliance of the law. The Jews were big on rituals to demonstrate the adherance to the law but many times overlooked the spirit of the law. When he said he desired mercy not sacrafice he was saying we need to live up to the intent of God's comandments and to love our neighbors as ourselves and show them mercy not just sacrafice to God to show our piety.

As to why Jesus died for us that was in place before the world was created and is part of God's plan. No one took Jesus's live he layed it down willingly for us to show he loved us.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:41 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Quote:
I also agree that it was God's plan. So we agree!

Blessings Finn!
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity