Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times

Advertisements

What do you believe Jesus was saying when he said "I desire mercy not sacrifice" ?.

I believe he was saying "Quit condemning sinners because they are sinners".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
I desire mercy not sacrifice = I prefer mercy over burnt offerings.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:48 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Would throwing people into a fire count as a "burnt offering?"

Blessings,
brian

Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What do you believe Jesus was saying when he said "I desire mercy not sacrifice" ?.

I believe he was saying "Quit condemning sinners because they are sinners".
Yep.

Considering what went on between Jesus, the pharasees and those who the pharasees were rounding up for stoning or death, I believe the pharasees practiced a belief that demanded that upholding the law meant they must sacrifice those who transgressed the law to God.

Jesus was speaking from the perspective of doing his fathers will and truly speaking on his behalf and was telling them the truth of Gods word. Jesus showed mercy , he even told the pharasees how they would receive it too.

Many modern pharasees are teaching Gods need for sacrifice when they say Accept or ELSE. They have not listened to Jesus either.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Would throwing people into a fire count as a "burnt offering?"
You do not know what a burnt offering is? It is an animal or other offering that is burned on an altar as a sacrifice.

See also Hosea 6:6 For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:59 AM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Many modern pharasees are teaching Gods need for sacrifice when they say Accept or ELSE. They have not listened to Jesus either.
You're absolutely right.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:

“Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and ‘sinners’?”
On hearing this ^^^

Jesus said "I desire mercy,not sacrifice".

While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and “sinners” came and ate with him and his disciples.When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and ‘sinners’?”
On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”Matthew 9:10-13.

The following portion of scripture i believe tells us what Jesus meant by "Not sacrifice"

To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable:“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.Luke 18:9-12.

This geezer was sacrificing a lot in his own eyes.He was probably one of the same righteous geezers asking Jesus' disciples ,“Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and ‘sinners’?”

Old 03-07-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
You're absolutely right.
Where have you heard a modern teaching that God needs a sacrifice? What are you guys talking about?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Jesus said "I desire mercy,not sacrifice".

While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and “sinners” came and ate with him and his disciples.When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and ‘sinners’?”
On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”Matthew 9:10-13.

The following portion of scripture i believe tells us what Jesus meant by "Not sacrifice"

To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable:“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.Luke 18:9-12.

This geezer was sacrificing a lot in his own eyes.He was probably one of the same righteous geezers asking Jesus' disciples ,“Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and ‘sinners’?”
Right. Jesus is not impressed with burnt offerings, public displays of generosity, making a big deal of fasting or (as you say) people looking down on others by making comments like "they have not listened to Jesus either", or "evangelicals hate Jesus".

Old 03-07-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Right. Jesus is not impressed with burnt offerings, public displays of generosity, making a big deal of fasting or (as you say) people looking down on others by making comments like "they have not listened to Jesus either", or "evangelicals hate Jesus".
Finn i think it's obvious that Jesus was not talking about burnt offerings.

It's also obvious upon hearing what the Pharisees were asking he was saying, you need to quit condemning the sinner for being a sinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity