U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2011, 09:48 PM

3 posts, read 1,642 times

Advertisements

What was Christianity like before Paul? What were the doctrines & worship like? How similar was the early Church after Paul? How different is Western Christianity today? Have we gone too far away from the doctrines & practices of the early Church? Often when I go to Church service I really think we have gone so far from where Christianity started I wonder if we're even the same religion anymore. Have we become cultural Christians, but lost the true roots of our faith?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 09:51 PM

5,665 posts, read 2,872,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolicas View Post
What was Christianity like before Paul? What were the doctrines & worship like? How similar was the early Church after Paul? How different is Western Christianity today? Have we gone too far away from the doctrines & practices of the early Church? Often when I go to Church service I really think we have gone so far from where Christianity started I wonder if we're even the same religion anymore. Have we become cultural Christians, but lost the true roots of our faith?
Nobody has lost any understanding of God that God didn't intend to be lost. Likewise, nobody has gained understanding of God unless God intended them to understand.

"Christianity" is not Christianity. The followers of Christ are not all those that claim to follow Christ.

The real Truth cannot become untruth.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:16 PM

870 posts, read 754,432 times
Quote:
You should study Mormonism. We believe that the church had been changed since the original form of Christianity, but it was restored in the 1800's by Joseph Smith. It is, in fact, one of our core beliefs that Christianity was changed and that we practice it in the original form.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:52 PM

14,066 posts, read 9,884,052 times
Quote:
What was Christianity like before Paul? What were the doctrines & worship like? How similar was the early Church after Paul? How different is Western Christianity today? Have we gone too far away from the doctrines & practices of the early Church?
I don't think the Church before Paul was substantially different than the Church during Paul's day. It was after all of the Apostles were killed that it began to change. Scholars describe these changes as the "Hellenization" of the Church. The influx of Greek philosophical thought changed everything, starting with the way Christians understood the nature of God and the relationship between the members of the Godhead.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:05 AM

19,070 posts, read 9,309,102 times
Quote:
The golden rule in life is not what should the church be like,look like and what it believes, it's........................love your neighbor has yourself, for love is the filfillment of the Law(the doctrine of God).We have never moved away from anything if we live by that Golden rule, The true root is the love of God. Our faith is rooted and established in love, God is love.

Rooted and built up in him, and established in the faith.Col 2:7

Old 03-11-2011, 05:19 PM

4,723 posts, read 2,713,402 times
Quote:
What was Christianity like before Paul? Have we become cultural Christians, but lost the true roots of our faith?
`` No`` In Hebrews 13: 8..... ``Jesus the same yesterday and today, and forever``.....See Jesus doesn`t change his plan and his commands are the same for people after Pentecost when his Spirit was first released to today and beyond the People today....... But if there is hypocrisy where you hear the Gospel then Jesus is saying `` Turn to Me and I will show you may things ``...... if the truth of the Gospel is corrupted by leaders in your life then you should consider going to a different church to get closer the the Lord........

Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 PM

55 posts, read 30,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't think the Church before Paul was substantially different than the Church during Paul's day. It was after all of the Apostles were killed that it began to change. Scholars describe these changes as the "Hellenization" of the Church. The influx of Greek philosophical thought changed everything, starting with the way Christians understood the nature of God and the relationship between the members of the Godhead.
You're right. And even before Jesus' existence, there was Hellenization going on within Judaism... I doubt that the Jews living in Palestine or Mesopotamia before the advent of Alexander thought of God and their beliefs in the metaphysical terms that they would later use to conceptualize Him after they were conquered by the Greeks. Just look at the idea of the "soul" and how it's changed. (In fact, pre-Hellenic Jews didn't even have a conception of an immortal soul....But this is getting off topic)

To everyone answering with "God's the same today and everyday!" and variations of that, I think the OP means that he's looking for a historical viewpoint. Of course Christians are going to say that there haven't been any changes to the Bible, but those are the ones with little to no knowledge of history.

You can't deny that the Hebrews were influenced by a number of different cultures. Especially since they'd always end up as the vassal of that day's new superpower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity