Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 12:23 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Brian...did God just randomly do this without purpose ?.

Brother trettep as got a lot of explaining to do
I think there are layers to truth, just as the God-breathed Law of the OT called for "eye-for-an-eye" justice, but Jesus called for peace. Equity was good, but peace was better.

I don't know the mechanisms by which God puts things in motion within the universe, nor how He makes things stay in place as they do.
I do know that Adam's sin brought disaster to mankind and to the creation as a whole. Earthquakes, tornadoes, floods, animals that eat each other in order to stay alive.. All this is a result of the Old Adamic Nature which chose to feed upon what God made, rather than upon God Himself.

I also know that God is Love; I feel it in my being, and I am convinced of it. I have seen the power of Love to heal and to repair.

We see around us a lot of suffering, in many forms; all brought on by Adam.
But at the same time, we see GOD, who brings about a way to heal from the suffering, and to nurture those who suffer.

God knows about suffering. And I am convinced that we (mankind) cannot complain to God about the suffering if we want to become like Him. We need to know how to deal with the suffering, and how to bear it, rather than to complain, or ask "why me?" or "why them?"

Suffering is what we must face in order to come into the Likeness of the Father. First the valleys, then the mountain top.

Blessings,
brian

Old 03-11-2011, 12:25 PM

488 posts, read 1,251,405 times
Jesus warned there will be earthquakes in diverse places in the last days so what happened today should come as no surprise.. it's just getting worse and worse, and the only protection is turning your heart to Christ

Old 03-11-2011, 12:32 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntspringtomind View Post
Jesus warned there will be earthquakes in diverse places in the last days so what happened today should come as no surprise.. it's just getting worse and worse, and the only protection is turning your heart to Christ

True, earthquakes on the earth should be no surprise, but it came without warning in that area. You can be taken BY surprise.

It really is not true that accepting Christ will stop an earthquake from happening, nor will it protect you from dying in one any more than accepting Christ prevents you from dying of old age or any number of human illnesses and conditions.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:36 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,103 times
How many of those poor people died?

Old 03-11-2011, 12:37 PM

488 posts, read 1,251,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post

It really is not true that accepting Christ will stop an earthquake from happening, nor will it protect you from dying in one any more than accepting Christ prevents you from dying of old age or any number of human illnesses and conditions.
The body dies in an earthquake
The body dies of old age
The body dies of illnessess
if your soul belongs to Christ, you(your soul) are protected! and that's what matters

Old 03-11-2011, 12:39 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntspringtomind View Post
The body dies in an earthquake
The body dies of old age
The body dies of illnessess
if your soul belongs to Christ, you(your soul) are protected! and that's what matters

True and an earthquake has nothing to do with that.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:42 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
There have been earthquakes on this planet since it's beginnings. If people want to understand why - there are many websites that will explain the earths plates and why earthquakes and volcanoes are caused where the plates meet and overlap. We have only been using the present method of measuring earthquakes since the early 1900's - and only really been measuring them at all since the late 1800's. So of course it would like all the earth's major earthquakes have occurred during recent times - since those are the only ones that we have accurately measured. There is speculation on the size of earthquakes before the late 1800's - but there was no accurate way to measure them. And there can really only be speculation on earthquakes prior to the late 1800's that there is actually some written record of. Earthquakes, volcanos, tornados, etc. are all just a part of the way our planet works.
If there is a God - I do not believe that he causes the natural disasters on purpose. He might have created this planet - but all of the disasters and tragedies have explanations that can easily be understood and explained with science. I believe that if God were causing these things to punish people - there would be no scientific explanation for them.
Let's not miss the big picture here - there are people suffereing right now. My heart goes out to them and I hope that all the people I met on my trip there a few years ago and that all my friends and distant relatives living there are alright.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:44 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Default He's an ever present help in times of trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I think there are layers to truth, just as the God-breathed Law of the OT called for "eye-for-an-eye" justice, but Jesus called for peace. Equity was good, but peace was better.

I don't know the mechanisms by which God puts things in motion within the universe, nor how He makes things stay in place as they do.
I do know that Adam's sin brought disaster to mankind and to the creation as a whole. Earthquakes, tornadoes, floods, animals that eat each other in order to stay alive.. All this is a result of the Old Adamic Nature which chose to feed upon what God made, rather than upon God Himself.

I also know that God is Love; I feel it in my being, and I am convinced of it. I have seen the power of Love to heal and to repair.

We see around us a lot of suffering, in many forms; all brought on by Adam.
But at the same time, we see GOD, who brings about a way to heal from the suffering, and to nurture those who suffer.

God knows about suffering. And I am convinced that we (mankind) cannot complain to God about the suffering if we want to become like Him. We need to know how to deal with the suffering, and how to bear it, rather than to complain, or ask "why me?" or "why them?"

Suffering is what we must face in order to come into the Likeness of the Father. First the valleys, then the mountain top.

Blessings,
brian
So you blame Adam not God then ?. There was a huge blame going on in Eden. The world blames anything and everything, the popular one at the minute being global warming.George Bush was blamed for the ill's of the world now Obama is being blamed.

The buck always stops with us

Nathan said to David thou art the man

And David's anger was greatly kindled against the man; and he said to Nathan, As the LORD liveth, the man that hath done this thing shall surely die:

And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man.

One of the disciples at the communion table said is it i, after hearing one of the disciples was about to betray Jesus.The truth always is revealed at the breaking of bread, ask the 2 men who met Jesus on the Emmaus Rd.

And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?

Yes God is in all things, he's in all the things we create by faith and fear whether it be good or bad.

Yes i believe we can and do create the world that is being played out before us.
He's an ever present help in times of trouble Psalm 46;1..Even the trouble we create.

Job believing this got him all sorts of trouble.......Yet man is born to trouble as surely as sparks fly upward.That which i greatly feared came upon me.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:44 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
There's a nuclear reactor going out of control as I type and I'm more concerned about that than the Moderator cut: deleted earthquake

Last edited by june 7th; 03-11-2011 at 01:39 PM..

Old 03-11-2011, 12:45 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
"That which i greatly feared came upon me".

You can argue until the cows come home who dealt it, but the cause was Job's fear.
The story of Job is an allegory written by the doctrines of men in their fragile attempts to explain that which naturally occurs in life; under the guise of good and evil.
No argument, it derived from the fears of men who could not explain the unknown: "Why bad things happen to good people."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity