Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 01:59 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sorry, but I will not dismiss the words of Jesus as "old manna". If something written in your heart contradicts the words of Jesus in the NT, then you need to examine your faith.
You're completely missing the point of what Brian is saying. The words of Jesus are not "old manna" but to rely completely on a book for your spirituality is in a word, pointless. We must grow spiritually by listening to the word that is written on our hearts....it's there, the Bible even says so.

How do you discern what is spiritual and what is simply in your head? You have to delve deeply and not "think" with your mind.....it's not a head thing. Meditation is an excellent way to connect spiritually. And I'm not talking about anything except being "still", clearing your mind and actually "listening" to the Holy Spirit. That's meditation. It's the only way to connect with God and what is written in our hearts.....a silent walk in nature will work just fine too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 02:07 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
That is what the pharisees said to Jesus about their Abraham.
The pharisees may have said something about Abraham, but I sure didn't. I said that if something written in your heart contradicts the words of Jesus in NT, then there is a problem.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:14 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Quote:
The pharisees may have said something about Abraham, but I sure didn't. I said that if something written in your heart contradicts the words of Jesus in NT, then there is a problem.
If there is a difference, then there is a problem: will you discern if it is the fresh manna of today, or will you run back to the old manna?

The Jews had the Law, which told them "an eye for an eye."

But Jesus gave them something New, something Higher. And they wouldn't receive it.

The same is true today. Many are clinging to old manna of scripture, because they cannot discern the Voice of God speaking to them, bringing them into New revelations of God.

Of course, if you can't believe that God will give us fresh food today, which is higher than the NT, then you will remain there, and miss out.

Peter was able to take fresh manna. He received revelation of all things to eat coming down from heaven in a sheet. The Father was teaching him to not consider any man unclean.
Peter had eaten fresh manna.
But for us, it is stale. We are moving ahead of Peter. (I hope...!)

May Christ arise in us all!
brian

Old 03-13-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
You're completely missing the point of what Brian is saying. The words of Jesus are not "old manna" but to rely completely on a book for your spirituality is in a word, pointless. We must grow spiritually by listening to the word that is written on our hearts....it's there, the Bible even says so.
Nah, I was commenting on his own words "Focusing on the Bible is easy. But it is not the fresh manna that we need TODAY".

Is it not???? The Bible is not the fresh manna? It sure is, since it contains the words of Jesus himself. Yes, we need to listen to the Spirit, but is it strange to hear someone say that Bible is not what we need. The message in the Bible and the message in your heart is one and the same. If there is a contradiction between the two, then you need to worry about what you near in your 'heart'.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
If there is a difference, then there is a problem: will you discern if it is the fresh manna of today, or will you run back to the old manna?

The Jews had the Law, which told them "an eye for an eye."

But Jesus gave them something New, something Higher. And they wouldn't receive it.

The same is true today. Many are clinging to old manna of scripture, because they cannot discern the Voice of God speaking to them, bringing them into New revelations of God.

Of course, if you can't believe that God will give us fresh food today, which is higher than the NT, then you will remain there, and miss out.

Peter was able to take fresh manna. He received revelation of all things to eat coming down from heaven in a sheet. The Father was teaching him to not consider any man unclean.
Peter had eaten fresh manna.
But for us, it is stale. We are moving ahead of Peter. (I hope...!)

May Christ arise in us all!
brian
You have convinced me that the words of Jesus and the New Testament are indeed stale to you.

They will never be stale to me.

Have a nice day.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Nah, I was commenting on his own words "Focusing on the Bible is easy. But it is not the fresh manna that we need TODAY".

Is it not???? The Bible is not the fresh manna? It sure is, since it contains the words of Jesus himself. Yes, we need to listen to the Spirit, but is it strange to hear someone say that Bible is not what we need. The message in the Bible and the message in your heart is one and the same. If there is a contradiction between the two, then you need to worry about what you near in your 'heart'.
Jesus was led by the Spirit of the Father, and listened to Him, because that is where the true manna comes from; not simply from scripture. And His command to us was to follow Him.

And if Peter had listened to your advice, he never would have learned to lay down his life, because he learned directly from the Father/Jesus, rather than be stuck in scripture.

And Paul would never have believed the visions he saw of the third heaven.

God is ALIVE. He has much to say to each of us today, if we can hear Him..

...But if we don't believe He can speak to us, how can we grow...?

Blessings,
brian

Old 03-13-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Jesus was led by the Spirit of the Father, and listened to Him, because that is where the true manna comes from; not simply from scripture. And His command to us was to follow Him.

And if Peter had listened to your advice, he never would have learned to lay down his life, because he learned directly from the Father/Jesus, rather than be stuck in scripture.

And Paul would never have believed the visions he saw of the third heaven.

God is ALIVE. He has much to say to each of us today, if we can hear Him..

...But if we don't believe He can speak to us, how can we grow...?

Blessings,
brian
That's cool Brian. Don't read it, if it's stale to you.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:09 AM

Jesus brought the world the Bread of Life. He spoke the Living Manna/Meat/Drink, which was the Spirit's communication with Him concerning the Kingdom. He heard the Father, and spoke what He heard.

God's declarations to the world were changed! The written word was the focus of the religious. They couldn't believe ANYTHING outside of the scriptures. They tested and tempted Jesus constantly, because He was speaking without constantly quoting the OT, and yet He declared that what He was speaking was from the Father!
So they tempted Him constantly, calling Him a deceiver of the people, and a sinner. "The scriptures say this..... But what do YOU say?"

But Jesus stood fast in the Spirit. No matter the accusations, He was tuned in to the Father. He heard the Father's voice, and could easily distinguish it from the devil/flesh.

He didn't need to read scripture- He LIVED it! What He was in tune with, was the SAME SPIRIT that WROTE the OT!!

So just because someone says, "I believe the Bible!" or "What Jesus said is sufficient!" doesn't mean anything.

A parrot can learn to repeat what you teach him.

You can teach a monkey to open a book.

But you can't make a person walk in the Spirit!

Walking in the Spirit is possible only if you believe: believe that God is ALIVE. That means TODAY, LIVING, able to give you NEW words, NEW revelations, NEW understandings.

But if you don't believe that God desires to tell you anything, how can you hear Him?

Blessings,
brian

Old 03-14-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
So just because someone says, "I believe the Bible!" or "What Jesus said is sufficient!" doesn't mean anything.

A parrot can learn to repeat what you teach him.

You can teach a monkey to open a book.
I just wonder why you are willing to toss the Bible in the garbage because it is "stale", as if the Spirit is telling you things different from the Bible. There is nothing stale or outdated about the Bible, and if the Spirit tells you something that is not explained in the Bible, then I'd like to hear it.

See, the problem is that the Spirit will NEVER tell you anything that will contradict the Bible, which means the message is the same, and the Spirit is only helping you understand the Bible. If the message is the same, then it can't be stale. Agree? If the message from the Spirit contradicts the Bible, then it is probably not of the Spirit, but of the imaginaton.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
I just wonder why you are willing to toss the Bible in the garbage because it is "stale", as if the Spirit is telling you things different from the Bible. There is nothing stale or outdated about the Bible, and if the Spirit tells you something that is not explained in the Bible, then I'd like to hear it.

See, the problem is that the Spirit will NEVER tell you anything that will contradict the Bible, which means the message is the same, and the Spirit is only helping you understand the Bible. If the message is the same, then it can't be stale. Agree? If the message from the Spirit contradicts the Bible, then it is probably not of the Spirit, but of the imaginaton.
Hi Finn,
I don't say to "throw it out;" only to put it in its proper place.

We can see from the endless discussions here, that Scripture can be used to support just about anything. I think someone once said that even Hitler was convinced of being "on God's side."

The point you mention about the Spirit contradicting scripture, however, is very important.
And we see in Jesus' words, that indeed the Spirit may contradict the scripture: "Ye have heard it said.... BUT I SAY UNTO YOU..."
This is a contradiction. Jesus spoke a Higher message, and was killed for it.

The Spirit is always one step ahead of scripture. Man has been taught, and is still taught, to "stick with scripture." And thereby, he misses the Spirit. He becomes deaf. --And, he risks persecuting God Himself.

Blessings,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity