Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 12:42 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I hope your not implying that I believe I'm better than God. If to say that God does "evil" is implying that I'm better than God. I'm simply understanding the context of "evil" in light of God as He has communicated it via the scriptures.

Jer 18:8 If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.

Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

No, I was not implying you were better than God. However you would have to be an equal to Him to determine if He was evil. And none of us are. God can create evil things to happen to evil people. Yet this again does not make God evil. EVIL can be causing injury or any other undesirable result; marked by misfortune or distress. And those who oppose God sometimes are those who end up being injured by God. The Bible has numerous examples of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 01:04 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,031,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Since His laws are immutable and control everything . . . your assertion would be incorrect. It is God's Will that you are trying to circumscribe and demand that everything occur as part of it . . . BUT His Will is that we have Dominion over this physical world (within the constraints of His laws). As to the OT descriptions and attributions to God . . you should know by now what my opinion of those spiritually immature primitive fear-ridden and superstitious interpretations and attributions are, Trettep.

The God I know and meet in deep meditation would NEVER do most of the things attributed to Him by our ancient savage ancestors, period. This does NOT mean that the underlying impetus for the scriptures was not God-inspired. It means that our ancestors were ill-equipped to interpret the inspirations they received in any way other than what made sense to their primitive cultural reality and lack of knowledge of the roots of human behavior.
Here is an unopen-ended question - Do you believe God hit Sodom and Gormorrah with Fire and Brimstone?

Old 03-20-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
No, I was not implying you were better than God. However you would have to be an equal to Him to determine if He was evil. And none of us are. God can create evil things to happen to evil people. Yet this again does not make God evil. EVIL can be causing injury or any other undesirable result; marked by misfortune or distress. And those who oppose God sometimes are those who end up being injured by God. The Bible has numerous examples of this.
I don't believe God is evil. Are you evil Campbell34? Does any evil things ever happen to you? Do you believe that all the people that have had evil things happen to them was because they were evil?

Old 03-20-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I don't believe God is evil. Are you evil Campbell34? Does any evil things ever happen to you? Do you believe that all the people that have had evil things happen to them was because they were evil?
Scripture tells us we are all evil to some degree. And yes, in the light of Scripture. I am evil. And sometimes God allows evil to come my way to get me back on track. That is a reality I can adress.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Scripture tells us we are all evil to some degree. And yes, in the light of Scripture. I am evil. And sometimes God allows evil to come my way to get me back on track. That is a reality I can adress.
So your saying all are evil to some degree and that God sometimes ALLOWS evile to come your way. What about Sodom and Gomorrah? Were they evil? Did God ALLOW Evil to come their way. If so, who was the one doing the EVIL that God allowed to come their way?

Old 03-20-2011, 03:49 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Here is an unopen-ended question - Do you believe God hit Sodom and Gormorrah with Fire and Brimstone?
Don't dance around feigning you do not know my views of the OT as non-literal INSPIRED INSTRUCTIONAL material USEFUL for instruction in righteousness (learning Good from Evil, right from wrong, illustrating lessons) and preparing us for the Truth-giver to come (Jesus Christ) by prophesies . . . so we would have hope and could validate Him when He appeared. It is a spiritual compilation of God's inspirations to our spiritually immature ancestors . . . NOT a historical or anthropological textbook, period.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
So your saying all are evil to some degree and that God sometimes ALLOWS evile to come your way. What about Sodom and Gomorrah? Were they evil? Did God ALLOW Evil to come their way. If so, who was the one doing the EVIL that God allowed to come their way?

God sent the fire that destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. Gods action was not evil. Yet to an evil population it was. God always appears evil, to evil people.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Don't dance around feigning you do not know my views of the OT as non-literal INSPIRED INSTRUCTIONAL material USEFUL for instruction in righteousness (learning Good from Evil, right from wrong, illustrating lessons) and preparing us for the Truth-giver to come (Jesus Christ) by prophesies . . . so we would have hope and could validate Him when He appeared. It is a spiritual compilation of God's inspirations to our spiritually immature ancestors . . . NOT a historical or anthropological textbook, period.
Yes or No, did God hit Sodom and Gomorrah with Fire and Brimstone?

It is simply a Yes or No question. Mystic, I don't follow your posts enough to have known your views on the Old Testament. I think you have assumed to much about what you think I know. So there is no dancing here - just ignorance of your view.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
God sent the fire that destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. Gods action was not evil. Yet to an evil population it was. God always appears evil, to evil people.
Ok, then who sent the earthquake and tsunami to Japan?

Old 03-21-2011, 12:44 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Yes or No, did God hit Sodom and Gomorrah with Fire and Brimstone?

It is simply a Yes or No question. Mystic, I don't follow your posts enough to have known your views on the Old Testament. I think you have assumed to much about what you think I know. So there is no dancing here - just ignorance of your view.
Ok. My post reveals my views. No. Sodom and Gomorrah is a spiritual fable . . . (like Aesop's) . . . designed to teach a moral. It is NOT a historical event. The literalists who treat the OT bible stories as fact are the ones referred to "in the latter days" who follow fables and not the NT Gospel of Jesus Christ. God does NOT physically intervene directly on the earth . . . WE have Dominion. God does work spiritually through humans by influencing their inner souls. It is our spiritual development that is of concern to God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity