U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 04:26 AM

4,325 posts, read 3,356,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Is it a sin for two people (1-male&1-female) to live together in a loving committed happily-ever-after relationship without being legally married? In the past I have taken a firm position against this, but I wonder if there are any exceptions I want to know what Christians really believe. Please share your thoughts.

The actual marriage ceremony was created by man for man. This established the family and only being with one person instead of what once was with more than one. God bases all relationships on Love. If two people love each other and are not married, it is not a sin. The same goes with a man made ceremony. However, if only one person loves it can lead to sin but it's still not a sin. Just as it is with legal marriages. If neither party are in love, then what's the point anyway. Love is always the basis for God. Anything outside of that can become sin. Not necessarily sin in and of itself but can lead to sin.

Take it to your heart. Ask God because all you'll get from humans is human error in thinking because we are not yet perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 10:22 AM

33 posts, read 11,845 times
The only time shacking up without being married wont be a sin is if the couple doesnt have any sexual relations, but since we're imperfect and most couples are having sex with each other before they move together I dont think its going to work.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:01 AM

2,280 posts, read 881,649 times
JN 4:12 "Are you greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?
JN 4:13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinks of this water shall thirst again:
JN 4:14 But whosoever drinks of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
JN 4:15 The woman said unto Him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come here to draw.
JN 4:16 Jesus said unto her, Go, call your husband, and come here.
JN 4:17 The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, You have well said, I have no husband:
JN 4:17 "The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, You have well said, I have no husband:
JN 4:18 For you have had five husbands; and he whom you now have is not your husband: in that you truly said."

It is obvious who sets the standard. He offered her the Water of Life but she first had to recognize the conditions set forth by Christ before she could get it. She needed to repent of shacking up.

Last edited by garya123; 02-26-2012 at 06:14 AM..

Old 02-26-2012, 07:22 PM

5,404 posts, read 1,972,499 times
The problem with "shacking up" is more than religion.

Shacking up often means that there is a "trial or a test" before considering marriage.

If I was dating a woman and I asked her in marriage I would expect a "yes or a no". If she says, "lets live together to see if this works" I would immediately walk away and look elsewhere.

I don't need to be tested.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:59 AM

24,691 posts, read 19,242,418 times
This begs the question. Does Hebrews talk about a religious union, civil marriage or de-facto relationship? In that sense are civil marriages any more 'binding' in the eyes of God than religious ones? Then what's the difference between an unmarried couple who are in a long-term r/s? Or is it the stigma of divorce attached to it?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:41 PM

14,167 posts, read 5,578,772 times
Is Shacking UP A Sin?

Well, what do you think? With so many doing it today and all the single mothers and fatherless children we have now I would say it is a sin.

You know, God did not give us the Ten Commandants to be a party pooper. Those commandants are guides for us to live a good, happy, fulfilling life. The further society gets away from them the worse off that society becomes. We have many examples of that today---just look around.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 AM

10,428 posts, read 3,996,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Is it a sin for two people (1-male&1-female) to live together in a loving committed happily-ever-after relationship without being legally married? In the past I have taken a firm position against this, but I wonder if there are any exceptions I want to know what Christians really believe. Please share your thoughts.
In Judaism when two people are betrothed to one another it seems perfectly acceptable to engaged in intercourse because it sates that any children born during this time are considered legitimate...And to add to that if one desires to break off an engagement one must give a 'Get', or certificate of divorce...Even if one is only engaged...So, is shaking up wrong?...I would say that it depends on what is in your heart...According to the Judaic Laws it is not immoral or a sin to do so during the engagement...One is considered already married in the Judaic mindset...It is read that at one time all a couple had to do was walk through town holding hands for everyone to see and that was considered a bond of matrimony...And the people and the couple were expected to hounor it and take it seriously...

Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 AM

4,229 posts, read 2,459,854 times
NO
killing people wars included , not loving each and other, not feeding and clothing the needy etc. are sins.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:27 AM

967 posts, read 382,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
In Judaism when two people are betrothed to one another it seems perfectly acceptable to engaged in intercourse because it sates that any children born during this time are considered legitimate...And to add to that if one desires to break off an engagement one must give a 'Get', or certificate of divorce...Even if one is only engaged...So, is shaking up wrong?...I would say that it depends on what is in your heart...According to the Judaic Laws it is not immoral or a sin to do so during the engagement...One is considered already married in the Judaic mindset...It is read that at one time all a couple had to do was walk through town holding hands for everyone to see and that was considered a bond of matrimony...And the people and the couple were expected to hounor it and take it seriously...
Interesting. I've heard the same thing regarding the betrothal laws. I'm aware of what the dowry laws say, but do you happen to know exactly where this is listed in the Torah law or in other Jewish sources regarding these betrothal laws?

Old 02-29-2012, 11:54 AM

3,632 posts, read 1,727,905 times
1 Corinthians 7:36-42

36But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry.

37Nevertheless he that standeth stedfast in his heart, having no necessity, but hath power over his own will, and hath so decreed in his heart that he will keep his virgin, doeth well.

38So then he that giveth her in marriage doeth well; but he that giveth her not in marriage doeth better.

39The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.

The Lord is pretty clear how he feels about Sex outside of marriage. God says through Paul if it does happen, let them marry and they did not sin.

As for outside the Marriage..

Ephesians 5

5For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

6Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity