Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:00 AM

381 posts, read 798,602 times

Advertisements

been talking about Godly giving (Mark 12:41) without old testament tithing and how God honors such giving. I've heard this ref before but cannot find it. anyone?

maybe it doesn't exist like the word rapture, but i get what that means too.

thanks in advance...anything welcomed

PS. in bible study we aren't talking about prosperity gospel being preached in USA , but how God always gives more... etc or uses it to benefit a hundred times more than we could etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 04:30 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,231 times
I thought it was 3x more...I dunno.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:52 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Don't know about the hundred fold..... yet the scripture in Malachi would definitely be more then an hundred fold....

Malachi 3:10-12
10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,
That there may be food in My house,
And try Me now in this,”
Says the LORD of hosts,
“ If I will not open for you the windows of heaven
And pour out for you such blessing
That there will not be room enough to receive it.
11 “ And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes,
So that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground,
Nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field,”
Says the LORD of hosts;
12 And all nations will call you blessed,
For you will be a delightful land,”
Says the LORD of hosts.

Ezekiel 34:26
"I will make them and the places around My hill a blessing and I will cause showers to come down in their season; they will be showers of blessing.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:58 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,223,893 times
Mark 10:28-30

"Then Peter began to say to Him, “See, we have left all and followed You.”
So Jesus answered and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My sake and the gospel’s, who shall not receive a hundredfold now in this time—houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions—and in the age to come, eternal life."

Old 03-14-2011, 09:42 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Default God is seeking faithful people, not bankers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Mark 10:28-30

"Then Peter began to say to Him, “See, we have left all and followed You.”
So Jesus answered and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My sake and the gospel’s, who shall not receive a hundredfold now in this time—houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions—and in the age to come, eternal life."
Mark 10:28-30 is the passage most think of in this context, although scripture repeatedly makes it clear that man cannot 'outgive God!' (Mal. 3:10, etc). (BTW, 'bankers' in the Title is only a metaphor).

Some 'prosperity teachers', seem to interpret God's gracious desire to pour out blessings on His people ... as almost 'God's obligation to provide a specified financial return-on-investment response to man's obedience.'

Our churches would all be 'mega churches' (or banks) that would have to turn people away at the door, ... if God was a celestial banker who immediately paid a financial 'hundredfold return' on whatever people did or gave. --- But, God's 'exchange rate' is of far greater (eternal) value ... and, although God often blesses us with worldly things, ... God's system is based on faith, love, truth and grace.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:13 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Seems to me Godly giving is giving done out of the love in your heart, compassion filled, selfless giving that expects nothing in return. Lots of folks are "Godly givers" and they come from all walks of life. The blessings or hundred fold return etc. to me would be the way your heart becomes enlarged, your capacity for love increases....so that you put more of it outwards. It overflows so that it MUST be put forth into the world. That is the best thing that can happen to a person, because it means God is becoming more CLEAR in your heart and God is becoming more visible to others through your love.

Prosperity teaching... foolishly and selfishly thinks its about material things that will rust and decay.

just my two cents.

peace,
sparrow

Old 03-14-2011, 01:06 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Seems to me Godly giving is giving done out of the love in your heart, compassion filled, selfless giving that expects nothing in return. Lots of folks are "Godly givers" and they come from all walks of life. The blessings or hundred fold return etc. to me would be the way your heart becomes enlarged, your capacity for love increases....so that you put more of it outwards. It overflows so that it MUST be put forth into the world. That is the best thing that can happen to a person, because it means God is becoming more CLEAR in your heart and God is becoming more visible to others through your love.

Prosperity teaching... foolishly and selfishly thinks its about material things that will rust and decay.

just my two cents.

peace,
sparrow
Another winning post by our precious sparrow that I can't rep . . .

Old 03-14-2011, 02:03 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

just my two cents.

peace,
sparrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Another winning post by our precious sparrow that I can't rep . . .
But I can and did...beautiful sparrow...

You see, I "generously" kept distributing my reps so that I can come back to give more to my friends...

Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
But I can and did...beautiful sparrow...

You see, I "generously" kept distributing my reps so that I can come back to give more to my friends...

lol..

Old 03-16-2011, 03:24 AM

381 posts, read 798,602 times
thanks folks...big help that was the verse

peace and grace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity