Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:52 AM

229 posts, read 330,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
People claim to believe in the Bible, yet ignore parts of it, because they don't like what it says.
All christians have to ignore some parts of the bible, after all, most christians don't like the parts of the bible ,such as

Matthew 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go [and] sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come [and] follow me.

I know that Matthew 25v46 is a firm favourite with many Christians, but not many like verses such as

Mat 18:8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.
Mat 18:9 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

or

Mat 5:40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
Mat 5:41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
Mat 5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
Mat 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Mat 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
Mat 5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
Mat 5:47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 12:00 PM

5,965 posts, read 6,987,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonminnie View Post
All christians have to ignore some parts of the bible, after all, most christians don't like the parts of the bible ,such as

Matthew 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go [and] sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come [and] follow me.

I know that Matthew 25v46 is a firm favourite with many Christians, but not many like verses such as

Mat 18:8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.
Mat 18:9 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

or

Mat 5:40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
Mat 5:41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
Mat 5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
Mat 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Mat 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
Mat 5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
Mat 5:47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Absolutely spot on post, Alison. Food for the all or none crowd.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:06 PM

758 posts, read 1,632,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
The way I see it - if there is in fact a God and he created us - then we are in fact all God's children.

If you want to feel better about yourself and seperate yourself - then you can believe that you are better than those that believe differently than you. I choose to simply consider myself part of the human race - we are all connected to each other. If there is no God - we are all still human beings.

Why always try to find ways to seperate? Why always try to find ways for some to feel better than others? Why not find ways to bring people together?

Old 03-17-2011, 04:06 PM

63,470 posts, read 39,739,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I have seen alot of hateful thread on the Christian forum and have shaken my head but this take the cake on hatefulness and arrogance.......

We are all G-ds children, All of us and G-d has a place for all his children not just Christians......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93
The way I see it - if there is in fact a God and he created us - then we are in fact all God's children.

If you want to feel better about yourself and seperate yourself - then you can believe that you are better than those that believe differently than you. I choose to simply consider myself part of the human race - we are all connected to each other. If there is no God - we are all still human beings.

Why always try to find ways to seperate? Why always try to find ways for some to feel better than others? Why not find ways to bring people together?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
Jazzy and Dew . . . you are some of my favorite non-Christian "Christians." God bless, Mystic

Old 03-17-2011, 04:16 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,542,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I respectfully agree to disagree with you. If the Bible was as crystal clear as 2+2=4 - you wouldn't need church. You wouldn't need Bible study. You wouldn't need guidance or help understanding the Bible. There wouldn't be thousands of different denominations. You wouldn't have people on forums like this arguing until they are blue in the face about who is right and who is wrong. The thing is - you are all reading the same book and you all think you are right and everyone who disagrees with you is wrong. And most of you think that there is no gray area - you are right and it couldn't be clearer.
All I'm saying is that we all use our own brains and our own hearts to understand everything in the entire world that we experience - and as no two brains and hearts are the same - no two understandings are exactly the same.
People seem so surprised that people can read the same passage and get something totally different out of it. It doesn't surprise me at all. I belong to a book club - and we all have different interpretations and different opinions about every single book. Honestly, I think that this is what makes life so interesting.

I know that to you - everyone who disagrees with you couldn't be more wrong - they are liars, the are not God's children, they are bound for Hell, etc. - but if they see what you believe as 2+2=5 - they are just never going to see things your way. And vice versa.
I don't think there is anything wrong or surprising about this. We are human beings - not robots.
Such as the analogy of the 10 or was it 6 blind men...describing only the part that he could touch and feel...then claiming it to be the whole....

Old 03-17-2011, 04:37 PM

27,914 posts, read 29,747,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Jazzy and Dew . . . you are some of my favorite non-Christian "Christians." God bless, Mystic
Mine, too. And if we add June 7th to that list, we have three wonderful human beings who are all excellent examples of the charity, tolerance and respect we should all strive for!

Old 03-17-2011, 05:44 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,761,879 times
Default "A way" vs "The way"...causes many to fall away from "The" Word of God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
OP:

Many years ago I heard a wonderful sermon on this topic and it has stayed with me ever since.

The pastor said, "Jesus did not say, 'I am one way, one light, and one choice of truth". But Jesus said "I am THE way, THE light, and THE truth".

I was always a "believer" but just that simple statement brought me closer to Him.
Thanks Calgirlinnc; That's a good teaching ... I'll use that in the future.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:50 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,026,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Thank you Mystic! I appreciate your words!

Old 03-17-2011, 05:53 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,026,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Mine, too. And if we add June 7th to that list, we have three wonderful human beings who are all excellent examples of the charity, tolerance and respect we should all strive for!
I would add Ptsum to that list too! I would put June at the top of the list!

We should all strive to have charity, tolerance and respect. We should all understand that we are all G-ds creations and he loves us all and he has a place for us. I absolutely believe that our hearts are known.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:04 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,288,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I am speaking on this particular topic (who are God's children). There are other topics in the Bible that aren't crystal clear. I understand that. When we listen to the Holy Spirit, He guides us into the truth. Do I know everything? Definitely not. I'm constantly learning and if I'm reading the Bible and I don't agree with what it says, I change my beliefs. I change because it doesn't matter what I think. The Bible is always right because it is the standard of truth. Many people don't have a clue what the Bible is saying because they don't have the Holy Spirit. The Bible makes no sense thus they make up their own beliefs.

AMEN! Without the Holy Spirit no one can understand the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity