Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2011, 06:40 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
I tell it like it is.
There is more than one way of "telling it like it is." That's the part you don't seem to get.

Quote:
I cannot even go there. What is in my heart is Spirit...and Truth.
Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Quote:
...well...there you go! ...anyone can believe anything they WILL to believe.
Except that you said said you can't. When I asked if you could deny the existance of God, you said it would be impossible, that you "cannot even go there." In other words, you couldn't even if you were to will yourself to.

Quote:
Just because someone makes a statement concerning their own personal belief does not mean it is not a lie straight from the pit of hell. It can be proven in Scripture.
There is a huge difference between being in error and lying. Tell me I'm wrong. Don't call me a liar. I don't deserve that.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Okay. Although honestly all the unbelievers that I know do not believe there is a God. However - some of this could be due to the areas that we live in and our own social circles. I can't imagine believing something to be true but not following that path.
I know very few people who believe there is no God at all. Majority of Americans believe there is God, but they have no personal relationship with Him. Same in Latin America.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I know very few people who believe there is no God at all. Majority of Americans believe there is God, but they have no personal relationship with Him. Same in Latin America.
Again, I would say maybe this has to do with where you live and where I live. The majority of the people that I know are not religious and either do not believe in God - or believe in a divine consciousness or supreme being - but not necessarily the Biblical God. I've lived in Los Angeles and New York primarily - and I'm a performer. This is not to say I don't have any religious friends - I do. But the ones that aren't religious do not believe in the Biblical God.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:18 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
People are starting to think Gandhi had a point when he said, “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
Wise words from a very wise man. Words for the ages.

Quote:
Majority of Americans believe there is God, but they have no personal relationship with Him. Same in Latin America.
So, according to your belief, all (or at least most) devout catholics are going to hell. I only say that because roughly 70% or more of Latin America is of the Catholic faith. Please correct me if this is not what you were insinuating.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Again, I would say maybe this has to do with where you live and where I live. The majority of the people that I know are not religious and either do not believe in God - or believe in a divine consciousness or supreme being - but not necessarily the Biblical God. I've lived in Los Angeles and New York primarily - and I'm a performer. This is not to say I don't have any religious friends - I do. But the ones that aren't religious do not believe in the Biblical God.
I live in the United States (IL, OH, MI, CT & FL). In US 76% of people believe there is God (Christian), so if most people you know are atheist, then it is indeed because of your circles. Only 2.2% of US population is atheist.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:26 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Wise words from a very wise man. Words for the ages.
I'd actually heard that quote before, as I suspect you have. Something else he said, that I hadn't heard until I went looking for that quote, to make sure I got it right, was this: If Christians would really live according to the teachings of Christ, as found in the Bible, all of India would be Christian today.” Just imagine if he were right! The world would have 1.8 billion more Christians than it has today. Shouldn't it be the aim of Christians everywhere to bring people to Christ instead of turning them away from Christ? You know, I may not be the smartest person in the world, but that's sure not rocket science in my book.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:28 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
I live in the United States (IL, OH, MI, CT & FL). In US 76% of people believe there is God, so if most people you know are atheist, then it is indeed because of your circles.
Well - you seem to be going by statistics and I'm going by my personal experiences. I don't think there is any way to really accurately measure this. I think that, when it comes to religion - many people don't feel comfortable answering these questions. Also - how exactly do they get these figures? I've never filled out any survey about my religious beliefs.

I wouldn't say that most of the people I know are atheists - maybe more like agnostics or spiritual instead of religious. I'd say that most of my friends don't believe in religion as opposed to being atheist. But like I said, I do have Christian and Jewish friends as well. I don't know that many Muslims, Hindus, or Buddhists anymore.

I would just say that you and I have had different experiences when dealing with people that aren't Christian. All I can say is that if I honestly believed in the Biblical God and the Bible - then I would be a Christian. If I honestly believed in Allah and the Koran - I would be Muslim. I honestly just don't believe in these things - which is why I'm not religious. It's not a choice - I can't pretend to believe in things which I don't believe in.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
So, according to your belief, all (or at least most) devout catholics are going to hell. I only say that because roughly 70% or more of Latin America is of the Catholic faith. Please correct me if this is not what you were insinuating.
I'll correct you: I never said such thing. It is not for me to say who is going to hell, I leave that to God.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:37 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Quote:
I'll correct you: I never said such thing. It is not for me to say who is going to hell, I leave that to God.
I know you didn't say it, but with your post, you implied it. That is, unless, your belief structure differs from fundamentalist Christians, which I know it does not.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Well - you seem to be going by statistics and I'm going by my personal experiences. I don't think there is any way to really accurately measure this. I think that, when it comes to religion - many people don't feel comfortable answering these questions. Also - how exactly do they get these figures? I've never filled out any survey about my religious beliefs.
Of course there are ways to measure it. There are only so many people you know, but you live in a country of 300+ million people, so you might as well listen to people who research these things.

Quote:
I would just say that you and I have had different experiences when dealing with people that aren't Christian. All I can say is that if I honestly believed in the Biblical God and the Bible - then I would be a Christian. If I honestly believed in Allah and the Koran - I would be Muslim. I honestly just don't believe in these things - which is why I'm not religious. It's not a choice - I can't pretend to believe in things which I don't believe in.
I was born in northern Europe, so I know plenty of people who call themselves atheist. But then again in Scandinavia it is hip to be an atheist, and many call themselves atheist only to admit that deep inside they believe there is a God. I know there are people who simply do not believe there is anything out there, so I am not trying to argue there is no such thing as an atheist. I am just saying they are a rare breed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity