Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 11:02 PM

692 posts, read 1,731,666 times

Advertisements

I was reading the list of Christian music on another thread. I recognized some of the songs, but many of the group names were unfamiliar to me. Then I remembered that Gospel and Christian music are treated almost like seperate genres. Even though the music celebrates God and Christ.

I wondered how many people who listen to gospel singers also listen to christian singers and vice versa. Have any of you have listened to:

Walter Hawkins' Marvelous ( I love this song) or

Jesus You're the Center of My Joy or

Now Behold the Lamb or

On Time God or

Are You Washed in the Blood of the Lamb or

Oh It is Jesus or

Frank Williams and Mississippi Mass Choir: Hold on Old Soldiers, Your Grace and Mercy, Order My Steps, It Remains to be Seen, Victory in Jesus, and He's Able or

I Call You Faithful

Some one mentioned a song called Alabaster Jar? I wonder if it similar to CeCe Winans Alabaster Box. That is a wonderful and emotional song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 11:05 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
I'm familiar with some of the songs, but not all. I've heard the MS. Mass Choir and they are awesome!

Old 07-26-2007, 08:06 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
I guess it all depends on what your musical taste are, even regarding Christian music, or Gospel music. Personally, I like country music sometimes, but gospel country, nope cant stand it, idk why, but throw on third day or something with some kick and I love it..Santus Real, Pillar, switchfoot, pod,....

Old 07-26-2007, 05:58 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
I like both Gospel and Christian. And tons of naughty stuff too... I have schizophrenia when it comes to music.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:19 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Are you saying that Christian music is the contemporary kind, or are the traditional hymns also Christian -- or do you consider them gospel? I know, I know...it's me!

I like some Contemporary Christian, not the hard rock/urban rock style though. I don't even know many of the groups names and actually prefer the solos anyway.
I like most traditional Christian -- like those in our hymn books.
I like Southern Gospel.
But I don't particularly care for the blue-grass southern gospel. (Is that a genre by itself, or part of Southern Gospel?)

Old 07-27-2007, 12:21 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,716 times
I love both Christian and Gospel. My favorite is Country Gospel. I have 2 CD collections of country singers singing Gospel (classic country gospel and the new stuff too). It's great.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:25 PM

688 posts, read 2,835,542 times
I love Gospel too as well as Contemporary Christian music and I like Southern Gospel and old Hymns too! They all share the same connection.....and there are some very spiritual, powerful music out there!
I like this song here:
Listen to my Rhapsody playlist on Rhapsody: Rhapsody User Playlist on Rhapsody Click on the play button when you get there!

LuLu

Old 07-27-2007, 05:05 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Can yall help find these songs from the lyrics?

Rain down on me, rain down on me (gospel)
Lord i pray, help me find a way (contempary)

Old 07-27-2007, 05:29 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Can yall help find these songs from the lyrics?

Rain down on me, rain down on me (gospel)
Lord i pray, help me find a way (contempary)
Alan, the song is sung by Avalon.

Without your strenth in my life I'm a loss, so lord please send your
(rain)
wash away the
(pain)
take away the
(lame)

I'm callin out your name

Chorous:
Lord I Pray (Pray)
Help me find a way (way)
A way back to you
I'm on my knees beggin you please
Every time I stumble
Lord I pray (pray)
Help me find a way (way)
a way back to you
YOu Sacrificed
Paid with your life
gave me the right
Lord I pray

I know I'm weak in you I'm strong
YOu give me aith to hold on
Lord Help me see that I'm stronger when I'm down on my knees
Cause that's wherre the power begins
your boundless strenth has no end
No matter what comes my way I'll persevere if i just
(Pray)
It's the strenth ya give me
(Pray)
It comes so freely
(pray)
I'm callin out your name

CHOROUS

Down on my knees I find you
Leavin this world behind you
Always hear me when I
Need some answers
And I Just can't seem to make it through
And I'm not sure what i should do
THat's when I close my eyes
And Lord i pray
(o lord i pray)

Old 07-27-2007, 05:49 PM

692 posts, read 1,731,666 times
There are a some Christian songs I've heard that I like. But Gospel just feels more emotional to me. It pulls me in. I still listen to secular music as well. I just love music. But I can't listen to gospel/christian rap or christian rock. It just doesn't work for me.

Every Sunday after the choir sings the whole congregation sings a Hymn together. The words are put on a screen for those who don't know the song. Hymns I believe fit into both gospel and christian music. The way the songs are sung my be slightly different but the meaning doesn't change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity