Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:15 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times

Advertisements

I would be sitting my parents down and talking to them honestly. If my son thought I was screwing up, I would want him to bring it to me because every encounter is a teaching opportunity. Running a business is not easy and there is a lot of burden on your parents. They may be increasing their tithes because they believe you can't outgive God and they are making one last ditch effort to turn things around. It is impossible for a forum of people to assist you or them with this.

You might suggest that all of you attend Financial Peace University (even if you and your family have their ducks in a row financially, it's an opportunity to share with your parents). Here's a link. Now this is not to suggest they or you don't know what they're doing financially. Reviewing basics is never a bad thing.

Financial Peace University - daveramsey.com

At a minimum, share your concerns with them. They will love and respect you even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 08:10 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
My family are Christians and we own and operate a business, but I feel my folks are being too generous in paying tithes (1200 on behalf of the business, 200 on behalf of 1200 of their take home pay) to their church. With their mortgage payments, which their house is upside down, and their monthly health insurance of 1500 and climbing, they aren't really assessing on what they can actually give based on their personal and business finances.

I know this all sounds confusing, but they really have an odd way of managing their personal finance, which I feel that they are heading towards going off the cliff if they don't start carefully managing it.

I've brought it up with my mother, who seems clueless about it since my dad manages their finances, but I feel somewhat guilty for insisting that they scale back on their monthly tithes of 1400.

If one owns a business that is struggling to break even, should he pay tithes based on gross or net (profit)?
Before I begin to answer this question, GOD doesn't need our money. But he needs us to be obedient to Him, and for us to support our local churches if we are indeed a member of a church. Tithes can be paid based on what you net, and what you have left over after you have covered your basic living expenses.

Here's a hypothetical way to under understand paying tithes. If a person makes a $1,000 a month, and after he or she has paid for utilities, rent, and food (all basic living expenses), and that person only has $10 left, then giving $1.00 is technically paying his tithes.

In your parents' case, they need to figure out what do they have left over after covering their monthly household and business expenses.

Some churches have flat out lied to its members and told them that they have to pay 10% of their GROSS income. Remember the government and states take a certain percentage of our gross income before we even see our checks.

If the same person, I was hypothetically speaking about, makes $1000 a month, and gives $100 of his gross income instead of $10 of his net, he would be forced to choose between eating or paying a utility bill.

This is not being obedient to God, nor is this, as some churches teach, robbing God of money that he doesn't need. To keep it real, the money we make isn't ours anyway. Everything belongs to God, and we just have to learn how to be good stewards of what God has blessed us to have.

At my church, we are taught to SURRENDER our tithes over to the Lord. 10% is a good place to start, since that's the example set in the bible. We are taught at my church to give 10% after we have covered our basic living expenses first. GOD LOVES A CHEERFUL GIVER---and it's more blessed to give than to receive. I always keep that in mind when I am paying my tithes.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:21 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Ministers use this law unwittingly....to obtain money
There's nothing unwitting about it. They know exactly what they're doing and they do it coolly and calculatingly.

On a separate note, how do you feel about a Church board using your tithes to tear down a perfectly good complex in order to build a completely new, larger, grander complex with all of the latest state-of-the-art electronics? Bayless Conley's Cottonwood recently did that.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:20 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
There's nothing unwitting about it. They know exactly what they're doing and they do it coolly and calculatingly.

On a separate note, how do you feel about a Church board using your tithes to tear down a perfectly good complex in order to build a completely new, larger, grander complex with all of the latest state-of-the-art electronics? Bayless Conley's Cottonwood recently did that.
What I mean by unwittingly, is that they do not understand the law of tithe properly. They use their own understanding of it deliberately because that is what they believe. They only think that they are being sincere. Of coarse there are those who are not sincere about anything.

If the complex they had was good enough then why do it. I don't know any thing about B C Cottonwood. You seem to, so make your own judgment.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:15 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post

If one owns a business that is struggling to break even, should he pay tithes based on gross or net (profit)?

Neither one. Tithing was a commandment under the Old Covenant, as a means of supporting the Levitical priesthood. We are no longer under the Old Covenant and we don't normally have a Levitical Priest overseeing our church. You can give to a church if you want to, but there is no longer "a law" that says you must. (despite what zillions of pastors would have you believe)

Donate to the church as you are financially able: YES!
Give 10% of your income to a church, because there is some Bible law that says you have to? NO!

Bud

Old 03-27-2011, 02:25 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Neither one. Tithing was a commandment under the Old Covenant, as a means of supporting the Levitical priesthood. We are no longer under the Old Covenant and we don't normally have a Levitical Priest overseeing our church. You can give to a church if you want to, but there is no longer "a law" that says you must. (despite what zillions of pastors would have you believe)

Donate to the church as you are financially able: YES!
Give 10% of your income to a church, because there is some Bible law that says you have to? NO!

Bud

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity