Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:57 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,031,633 times

Advertisements

YOU cannot become eligible for salvation. Salvation is a Gift, and not something YOU can become qualified for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:11 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
YOU cannot become eligible for salvation. Salvation is a Gift, and not something YOU can become qualified for.
Amen!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:14 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
Quote:
Wrong. Show me the verse that says salvation if a gift.

Justification through His Blood is the gift of Grace. We put His righteousness on, like a robe dipped in blood. The Father doesn't see the sin we resided in, because He sees the Son IN us.

But to think that salvation is, in itself, the gift?? You are mistaken. Read Romans 5 alittle closer.

I would argue that Faith is the Gift given to those who seek Him.

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, [let us prophesy] according to the proportion of faith;

For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:33 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
By and through the "Faithfulness of Christ."

Old 03-24-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Wrong. Show me the verse that says salvation if a gift.

Justification through His Blood is the gift of Grace. We put His righteousness on, like a robe dipped in blood. The Father doesn't see the sin we resided in, because He sees the Son IN us.

But to think that salvation is, in itself, the gift?? You are mistaken. Read Romans 5 alittle closer.

I would argue that Faith is the Gift given to those who seek Him.

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, [let us prophesy] according to the proportion of faith;

For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Faith, Grace, and Salvation (All gifts of God).

Old 03-24-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Faith, Grace, and Salvation (All gifts of God).
We are, of course, reading that verse differently.

Through faith, not of ourselves, but of God's gift,,,OF faith.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
We are, of course, reading that verse differently.

Through faith, not of ourselves, but of God's gift,,,OF faith.
I'm just reading it according to how Paul meant it according to the Greek. However, just tell me what part you think is not the gifts and which parts are. We can then debate from there.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:10 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Hallelujah brother Amen! It is a "gift" from God, and He does the choosing, not us.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I'm just reading it according to how Paul meant it according to the Greek. However, just tell me what part you think is not the gifts and which parts are. We can then debate from there.
Umm, faith is the gift. Not repentance. How in the heck can repentance be a gift?

Did John the Baptist tell the Pharisees,,,come here,,have a gift so you can stop walking in your evil ways. Nope. He said "REPENT(ACTION), for the Kingdom of heaven is at hand."

That isn't God's action, it is ours, after we have faith in Him with a pure heart. The faith was the gift. And every man is measured, because the Spirit has been poured out on ALL mankind, so there is no excuse.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Umm, faith is the gift. Not repentance. How in the heck can repentance be a gift?

Did John the Baptist tell the Pharisees,,,come here,,have a gift so you can stop walking in your evil ways. Nope. He said "REPENT(ACTION), for the Kingdom of heaven is at hand."

That isn't God's action, it is ours, after we have faith in Him with a pure heart. The faith was the gift. And every man is measured, because the Spirit has been poured out on ALL mankind, so there is no excuse.
Let me put it this way. Suppose I walk into an auditorium filled with people and ask them "Who BELIEVES I can jump 40 feet into the air, please raise your hand". I look around and nobody raises their hand. Nobody believes right. But then I tell them "WATCH" and I then proceed to jump 40 feet into the air and come back down and land softly on my own two feet. I then ask the people "Who BELIEVES I can jump 41 feet into the air, pleas raise your hand". I look around and everyone is raising their hand. What happened? Did their belief come from within them? Or did I give them BELIEF by jumping into the air?

You see many will answer incorrectly that the belief came from themselves but the FACT remains that had I not jumped 40 feet into the air they would still be in disbelief. So the power for them to believe that I could jump 40 feet into the air was in my hands.

Now there is no doubt that the conscience decision to believe what they were see was Truth came from the person but that person is acting on the principles of LOGIC and REASON to conclude from their observations that something was TRUE.

So we all know that LOGIC itself along with REASON are God created mental abilities that are part of the normal functioning brain. We use these attributes everyday just to guide a car down the street.

So understand that God is the giver of our new heart, our faith, our repentance and ultimately our salvation no matter how much we process those gifts for even the processing of the gifts is a gift from God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity