U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:23 AM

128 posts, read 378,016 times

Advertisements

How do you distinguish a sign/message from God? I ask because in my own life I have been struggling with something and going through a lot of adversity. I asked God, not out loud, but in my heart, for a sign that it will all work out and I will come out better off than before. That was a couple of days ago. Today I was driving and I saw something that caught my eye that was exactly related to what I have struggling with/asking God for advice on. It wasn't a conventional thing like a billboard, and it wasn't even delivering a message on it's own. But it said something that had to do EXACTLY with what I've been dealing with lately. It was perfectly orchestrated, I said to myself "that had to be the hand of God" once again showing me his ability.

So my question is, how do you normally distinguish these signs from not just something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 11:27 AM

6,141 posts, read 9,274,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOnDown5250 View Post
How do you distinguish a sign/message from God? I ask because in my own life I have been struggling with something and going through a lot of adversity. I asked God, not out loud, but in my heart, for a sign that it will all work out and I will come out better off than before. That was a couple of days ago. Today I was driving and I saw something that caught my eye that was exactly related to what I have struggling with/asking God for advice on. It wasn't a conventional thing like a billboard, and it wasn't even delivering a message on it's own. But it said something that had to do EXACTLY with what I've been dealing with lately. It was perfectly orchestrated, I said to myself "that had to be the hand of God" once again showing me his ability.

So my question is, how do you normally distinguish these signs from not just something else?
I believe 100% you received a sign from God. I have no doubt. That's the way he works. Put your problems and stress into his hands and he will provide and take care of it! God says ask and you will receive. Looks like you received to me! Last year, I was this close to being homeless. I asked the Lord for a way out and ask my City-Data friends to pray for me and my family and you better believe, he found a way! Prayer works! Keep the faith in the Lord and he will not let you down. But beware. Not all the times you ask for something, you will get exactly what your looking for. Or you might not get it at all. Because that's not what God has in the cards for your life. But he will provide something better and beneficial to your walk with him for your life. God is great and precious and holy!!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,822,401 times
I just look for blessings in everyting even tragedies because the Lord says that all things work for His plan. I also have dreams and visions that can be pretty freaky. I listen and pray just as we all should but even the smallest things can be answers and not neccessarily the answer you are looking for. You have to try and look at everthing from His perspective and realize it is His will and not your own. He knows what we need in order to grow and we pretty much need to just hand the riegns over to Him and go along for the ride which is harder than it sounds.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:35 AM

128 posts, read 378,016 times
thanks

Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 AM

10,290 posts, read 7,899,297 times
Always weigh it against the word of God.... God will never lead His children astray outside of His will and will always be within the boundaries of His loving will (word,truth) not ours. One must take the whole context of His entire word the truth.

A lot of times our emotions can get in the way and deceive us.... it really depends upon what you have prayed about !!!

I suggest acting upon it if you believe it is a sign, stepping out in faith if it is an answer from God, He will most definitely open doors and yet, He will close the doors if it is not from Him !!! He tells us to test the spirit !!

Blessings to you....

Old 03-28-2011, 12:00 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,628,101 times
I can't say that I've given a lot of thought to things like signs from God. I had thought I was living a normal life until about 16 years ago. It's been called a "near-death experience". And, my life has been anything but normal ever since. I know things I've never heard or read, things that have been proven correct by science. And, I have no explanation for how I know them.

A sign from God is possible, I suppose. Think of a God that has a penchant for using natural events to impress his will upon the earth and it's inhabitants. From what you described, the "sign" you saw was something that might be considered natural. It may well have been exactly that. Things that may be signs could be as simple as a smile from a complete stranger. My instinct would say you're probably right and to go with it.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:28 PM

877 posts, read 684,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
I can't say that I've given a lot of thought to things like signs from God. I had thought I was living a normal life until about 16 years ago. It's been called a "near-death experience". And, my life has been anything but normal ever since. I know things I've never heard or read, things that have been proven correct by science. And, I have no explanation for how I know them.

A sign from God is possible, I suppose. Think of a God that has a penchant for using natural events to impress his will upon the earth and it's inhabitants. From what you described, the "sign" you saw was something that might be considered natural. It may well have been exactly that. Things that may be signs could be as simple as a smile from a complete stranger. My instinct would say you're probably right and to go with it.
OK windwalker, you gotta tell us about your NDE. Another thread perhaps?
One of my favorite subjects.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:26 PM

2,267 posts, read 4,999,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Always weigh it against the word of God.... God will never lead His children astray outside of His will and will always be within the boundaries of His loving will (word,truth) not ours. One must take the whole context of His entire word the truth.

A lot of times our emotions can get in the way and deceive us.... it really depends upon what you have prayed about !!!
I suggest acting upon it if you believe it is a sign, stepping out in faith if it is an answer from God, He will most definitely open doors and yet, He will close the doors if it is not from Him !!! He tells us to test the spirit !!

Blessings to you....

This is so true. I had a rough summer. I doubted myself and I felt like I wasn't worthy of what I was seeking. I prayed and others prayed for me. It turned out that God was preparing a place for me and I had no idea. The way things worked out...it couldn't have happened without God's intervening. I think sometimes He has a way of playing fun games with us to see what our reactions will be. Keep praying--He's listening!

Old 03-28-2011, 09:17 PM

7,508 posts, read 3,516,364 times
God speaks through things and people.. The hardest thing is to do is be still and listen. There was a time when I was in Biblical Counseling and we had to write a letter to a classmate (A letter from God method). I was struggling with some things so I hesitated to write this letter. Anyways, I wanted to write like I was writing a letter, but I couldn't just blabber so I pretty much sat still and listen to my deep conscious. Wow. The Holy Spirit was giving me words like "love" and "forgiveness", but I had to put them together. However, I end up writing the letter to myself, but I really felt as if God wrote it to me and not to my classmate. It wasn't a long letter, like a paragraph but it moved my heart.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:28 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,634,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOnDown5250 View Post

Satan often times tries to get people to think things are "just a coincidence."

If it's from God, it will align with His word. You don't need to ask God for signs though. If you are following Him, He has a wonderful plan for your life and it will all work out. Believers have a hope and a future (Jer 29:11)! Always remember that God is in control. What joy that brings me everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or