Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM

18,242 posts, read 16,861,234 times

Advertisements

It is a fact that Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and probably Paul himself were strongly influenced by the prevailing Greek philosophy of the eternalness of torment for the wicked.

Quote:
Few in society realize just how much ancient Greek philosophy influenced early Christian thought on hell.

The ancient Greeks believed and taught that the human soul is immortal and indestructible. When early Christianity adopted this belief then it became only logical to believe that those who go to hell must suffer eternal torment.
Further:

Quote:
More than anyone else, the early Church bishop Augustine influenced early Christianity's adoption of this ancient Greek belief about the nature of the soul. Augustine was a great admirer and follower of the ancient Greek philosopher Plato even after converting to Christianity. It was Plato who systematically formulated ancient Greek belief and thought concerning the nature of the human soul.
My thesis is that if the Holy Spirit were guiding these writers to write (remember, the Gospels were written many years after Jesus spoke so the authors had to rely on their memories) exactly what Jesus had taught them regarding the eternal destiny of the wicked, then all outside influences, whether they be Greek, Far East, pagan, or any other type of influence, would have been totally and completely negated under the direction of the Holy Spirit and we would have have a totally harmonious teaching of the destiny of the wicked.

That stands to reason, doesn't it? That if the authors of the Gospels had been under the Divine inspiration of the Holy Spirit, then not a trace of pagan influence would have crept into their writings.

But pagan influence DID creep into their writings, and not in just a small way either---pagan beliefs on hell and eternal damnation permeates our translations of the New Testament, even the Old Testament, where the concept of hell and eternal torment (remember, only the words, "pit" "Sheol" and "grave" are to be found in the OT---it was the King James that incorrectly translated these words into "hell") was totally unknown to the Hebrews.

Therefore a strong case can be made that the authors were NOT under the direct inspiration of the Holy Spirit when they wrote the gospels, but instead were relying on their own intuition, their faulty memories, and pagan influences all around them as they tried to pen as best they could (and failing miserably) Jesus' teachings on this thorny topic.

Proof: the utter chaos among Christians in trying to figure out what the scriptures teach on this topic; the utter confusion resulting from translations so diverse from each other as to be as different as night and day; the utter saturation of paganism in the writing of supposedly Holy-Spirit-guided writers of the Gospels.

Remember:God is not the author of confusion, man is. But on the topic of the eternal destiny of the wicked we have nothing BUT confusion. The Holy Spirit cannot be the author of confusion, therefore the Holy Spirit cannot be the author of the New Testament writings on the topic of the eternal destiny of the wicked.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 03-28-2011 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 12:56 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,825,886 times
There is not confusion nor contradiction just merely outside influences on personal theories.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
There is not confusion nor contradiction just merely outside influences on personal theories.
So what does Jesus teach on the eternal destiny of the wicked?

Old 03-28-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So what does Jesus teach on the eternal destiny of the wicked?
Are ther saved or not? We are all wicked.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Are ther saved or not? We are all wicked.
No, we're not. Those who are saved are sanctified by the Holy Spirit. We're all wicked before we come to Christ, true.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
No, we're not. Those who are saved are sanctified by the Holy Spirit. We're all wicked before we come to Christ, true.
We are all wicked if we continue living by the flesh rather than the Spirit whether saved or not. See this is the problem with most who are saved, they dont live like they are and serve to deter those who may seek salvation.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
We are all wicked if we continue living by the flesh rather than the Spirit whether saved or not. See this is the problem with most who are saved, they dont live like they are and serve to deter those who may seek salvation.
Are you wicked, Robin? Because if you are the Bible clearly says you will not inherit eternal life.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Are you wicked, Robin? Because if you are the Bible clearly says you will not inherit eternal life.
I have my moments of rebellion just like we all do. Does it really? What else does it say? All things are lawfull but not all things are profitable.

I am sorry thrill, I do not mean to hi jack you topic.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:33 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,998,477 times
Something that I find interesting about this subject. Before he died, the last Catholic Pope wrote a letter. Now, if you go along with the idea of the Pope being infallible in matters of religion, then what he wrote should be taken as gospel.

Our preception of Heaven and Hell is a bit inaccurate. In fact, they both exist in the same plane. Those who are in Hell are rubbing shoulders with those that are in Hell. So, what makes it the difference between Heaven and Hell? My ideal place to live would allow me to shoot off a 5 inch cannon, and have no one anywhere close enough to hear it. To live on an island all by myself would be Heaven on this earth. But, for most people, that would be a sentence. A severe punishment. There was also an implied suggestion that those in Hell are the slaves of those in Heaven. An interesting letter, indeed.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I have my moments of rebellion just like we all do. Does it really? What else does it say? All things are lawfull but not all things are profitable.

I am sorry thrill, I do not mean to hi jack you topic.
s'ok I'll get it back on track in a second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity