U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:48 PM

6,221 posts, read 6,421,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viirin View Post
I have read most of Rob Bell's books, seen most of his NOOMA videos, heard him speak on some occasions, etc, so, being familiar with him and his style, I can definitely tell you... he is always somewhat abstract, and the point of the book is DEFINITELY to get you to think about these things for yourself.

My thoughts on what he believes concerning heaven and hell? He's very vague on if he believes in Hell as a place. To the extent that I am not certain if he believes that it is or not. As for Heaven, he talks about heaven being a present state and a future reality (not an exact quote, but more or less what he says). This along with some other statements he makes, mainly concerning Heaven/the Kingdom of God coming to earth seem to imply that he does believe Heaven is an actual place, and not just something to be experienced now. In fact if he doesn't believe this it would seem that there was nothing to argue and so the book would have been pointless to write.

And I agree with you that when he says he is not a universalist, he is saying that he does not believe that all beliefs are equally valid and that there are many ways to get to Heaven. He states quite plainly that it is only through Christ that man is redeemed. In a certain sense he may be a universalist, but that term definitely carries a lot of connotations that are untrue of what Bell believes.
Thankyou for the clarification.

Yes, abstract is the word for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 04:50 PM

6,221 posts, read 6,421,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

Okay, not to be nitpicky, but I sorta have issues with this. I think when someone participates in (and don't we all to one degree or another) and/or gets addicted to any harmful behavior (whether it's something one does or an attitude one nurtures), while on one level it may be a choice, on a deeper level, it's not. It's an outworking of wrong thinking about themselves which usually is wrought through the actions/words of others.

I think people need to be healed of that wrong thinking before you (oops, I meant "we" ) can say they are really making a choice. Does that make sense?
Yes I agree with you. And I would just say don't get too nitpicky with my description, as I said it is just a paraphrase - its hard to condense a 200 page book down to a few paragraphs!

Quote:
And with that I completely agree, whether one believes hell is here and now (as I do) or in the hereafter, I would hope we could all see that no one would CHOOSE to be there. I used to believe they did , but that's because I was unaware that I was in one of the deeper levels of hell myself (believing all kinds of untrue and unhealthy things about myself and others), and not thinking straight at the time.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:38 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,725,440 times
Legoman, thanks so much for the information. I think it's kind of cool that he asks a lot of questions and leaves some things up to the readers to think about. It might confuse them, but then they can turn to God and ask Him for themselves! That's quite a contrast from most Christian books that tell you what to believe.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:40 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,586,830 times
(What if there is no "hell"?)
Heaven and Hell
- What do those terms really mean?
CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or