Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 05:59 PM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times

Advertisements

Travel to the Holy Land or the eastern Mediterranean... it's part of the experience and the hub of three major faith's. I would pray there and visit during worship as a guest, but not actually worship.

Jesus was a Jew and I have always felt welcome in any Temple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 06:23 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1117 View Post
for example,you happen to find that there's a famous buddhist temple nearby,will you go and visit it?or simply ignore its existence?
I'll take neither option and simply not visit nor ignore its existence. There is a strip club in my town and I know it's there, but I don't need to visit it to know what goes on inside.

I simply cannot think of a good reason to visit a church/temple other than the one for the purpose of worshiping God.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:05 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
for example,you happen to find that there's a famous buddhist temple nearby,will you go and visit it?or simply ignore its existence?
I wiland have andmy wife won't, except fora few historical ones now museums.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:29 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
While on the Trans_America Bicycle Tour in 1982, one of the riders was a Jewish woman. We would stop at various churches and houses of worship on Sunday as we pedaled cross country. One day we found a city that had a synagogue so we all dressed up in our best cycling clothes and went with her.

It was a great service and we were introduced to the congregation and they opened up the kitchen and fed us and prayed for us and we all had an excellent time.

For whatever reason, she never felt comfortable coming into a "christian" church so I always sat outside with her to support her.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:58 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
As a Christian, what would be the purpose of me going? That's what I would ultimately ask myself. Is it in anyway going to help me to go? I don't see a reason to go.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:43 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
As a Christian, what would be the purpose of me going? That's what I would ultimately ask myself. Is it in anyway going to help me to go? I don't see a reason to go.
speechless--absolutely dumbfounded--as if God could never speak outside the four-walls of one's own little box. smh and

WHY GO?

I dunno..maybe...maybe to actually be a WITNESS so the other people do not get the wrong idea and think that every evangelical is a self-centered narcissistic Cretan?

But that would just be my own opinion.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:14 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
will you visit churches/temples of other religions? (worship, pagans)
Sure, why not. Their entertainment is just as good as Osteen's.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:00 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Yes, as other faiths have always been part of my life. Within my family and country of descent are people of numerous religious backgrounds. It's part of my heritage really...

Old 05-23-2015, 06:55 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Jesus was a Jew and I have always felt welcome in any Temple.
Jesus lived in Judea, but He wasn't a Jew in the sense of the word that
Jews today are. Concerning your reference to Jewish temples, Jesus
said their temple would be destroyed, and it was completely. Their sacrifices
were refused by Yahweh after the Crucifixion. The wailing wall is not a part
of the second temple at all, but rather a wall of a Roman fort Antonia.
I am sorry if saying this makes you or anyone else uncomfortable, however it
should be acknowledged that the only essential part of Christianity is totally
refused by Judaism, and if whom you say is your Savior is not welcome, you
displease Him greatly if you participate in ceremonies of the Jews, or Muslims, or
any other heathen religion.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:28 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
I have on occasion visited a Catholic Cathedral. If I ever get a chance I would love to take the opportunity to see a Mormon temple. I know people that have visited Mormon wards or JW Kingdom Halls....I'm not against the idea, but I just haven't had a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity