Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:26 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Do Protestant fundamentalist churches celebrate Palm Sunday? Do they hand out palms as they do in Catholic Churches? I know Episcopalians are a lot like us Catholics, but I am not sure of others.
Yes, we do. I'm Southern Baptist.

This year, our choir (I'm the choir director) had the bulk of the service. We sang songs about Jesus' life & ministry, his episode in the garden (sweat drops of blood), and his crucifixion. Our pastor spoke on the contrast between "Hosannah!" and "Crucify Him!"

On Easter Sunday, we're singing "Happy Day"

"He's alive!
O, happy day, happy day,
you washed my sin away..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 02:37 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
I have to assume these folks are not going on a vacation trip to Italy any time soon. Would they be able to go sightseeing to the Vatican.

I like the old ways. The reverence, the genuflection when entering or leaving the house of God. I love statues as well as side chapels, crucifixes, the Virgin, the baby Jesus, saints, Holy Water fountain, candles, etc. When you walk into these churches you know you are in church.

I am told Lutherans worship in the Old majestic Catholic German churches that use to belong to the CC.
Well, so do I. That's why I became an Episcopalian, in part! I love the ritual, and I love the art and the architecture. Some of the Episcopal churches in New York City are breathtaking--Trinity Church, with its All Saints Chapel on the side, and St. John the Divine. I don't think any of them trump St. Patrick's (Catholic), though. Now that's a church.

Visit St. Patrick's Cathedral

I think the Seventh-Day Adventists probably could go to those places, but they don't worship in them themselves.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:24 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, so do I. That's why I became an Episcopalian, in part! I love the ritual, and I love the art and the architecture. Some of the Episcopal churches in New York City are breathtaking--Trinity Church, with its All Saints Chapel on the side, and St. John the Divine. I don't think any of them trump St. Patrick's (Catholic), though. Now that's a church.

Visit St. Patrick's Cathedral

I think the Seventh-Day Adventists probably could go to those places, but they don't worship in them themselves.
I think we are all different. Some people feel closer to God with all the pomp and architecture whereas others despise it. I have never seen St Patrick; but it is on my schedule this summer. NYC is only a four hour drive.

The photos look amazing!

Old 04-02-2012, 05:44 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
I think we are all different. Some people feel closer to God with all the pomp and architecture whereas others despise it. I have never seen St Patrick; but it is on my schedule this summer. NYC is only a four hour drive.

The photos look amazing!
Oh, yes, you do have to go at least once. At Christmastime it is packed with tourists passing through, and so beautiful with all the candles. St. Patrick's is very close to Rockefeller Center where the NYC Christmas Tree is lit every year, and it's on Fifth Avenue near where all the famous store windows are, so people are just walking around the area and pass through the church. That's when I was there.

I'd like to go back and see it again. I've worked in the city for 33 years, but I haven't seen so many of the things that tourists come here to see.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Our pastor spoke on the contrast between "Hosannah!" and "Crucify Him!"
James 3:10-11
Out of the same mouth proceeds blessing and cursing.
Can both fresh water and salt water, flow from the same spring?

Old 04-03-2012, 05:05 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,931,619 times
Marrying The Savior:

"A Great Multitude which no one could number
out of every Nation and all Tribes and Peoples.

Standing Before The Throne and Before The Lamb,
Clothed in White Robes and Palms in their hands.

Crying with a loud voice: Salvation to our God
Who sits upon The Throne and to The Lamb."

Rev.7:9,10 [greek]

Old 04-03-2012, 05:12 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
James 3:10-11
Out of the same mouth proceeds blessing and cursing.
Can both fresh water and salt water, flow from the same spring?
Well, we have brackish ponds around here. I think some of us are like brackish ponds sometimes. But sometimes we are only pouring fresh water which I prefer. Salt water can be good for wounds. I'm not trying to be a smart mouth - just thinking about that in a more literal sense. Of course it is a metaphor, so I'm not really going very far with my thoughts.

On the previous question about whether protestants celebrate Palm Sunday, the answer is yes. But my husband who was raised in the Methodist church said they never had any Palm branches in West Virginia. We have plenty of Palm Branches here in Florida.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:51 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,931,619 times
People still become disapointed in Christ as 'Savior'.
As yet will He not set up His Kingdom over them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity